BBC Daily Politics and PMQs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Apr 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Louise Casey on the DP today, she will not be invited back anytime soon, took some female by the name of Bone down wonderfully over social exclusion of women in the islamic communities and the use of so called sharia courts.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. I've just watched that, and was struck by the appalling quantity and quality of tosh, pish and twaddle spoken by that woman. She is purportedly a PhD (in Islamic Studies), yet debates like a third-former with no grasp of the motion (perhaps one follows the other naturally). Casey took her apart, as she does to all of these peddlars of multi-culti crap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. With whom did today's guest Tom Tugendhat MP, serve in Afghanistan?

Discussing 100yr anniversary of "Balfour Declaration" which committed UK Govt to recognising a Jewish home land (apparently NOT specifically creating a Jewish "State"), he mentioned he had visited several middle east places, during the "Arab Spring" and said no one mentioned Israel. They (the Arabs), were all focused on the(ir) Arab representation, progress, empowerment.

He "spat-out" several Arab place names, with the authentic pronunciation of someone clearing their throat of a gob-full of phlegm, that I imagine indicated he must had attended the Arab language course at Beaconsfield!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. NSP

NSP LE

Interest rate up from 0.25% to 0.50%. Carney says it is because the rate of growth is faster than his speed limit, or something.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Carney said "time to take his foot off the accelerator" - I thought they had been firmly on the brakes for years!

• Like Like x 2
  6. I know this is a political thread - not a financial/economic threat (if the subjects could actually be disentangled!), but it is bollocks.

Any recent mild price increases, are due to fall in value of GB£ and consequent increase in cost of imports, NOT because of increase in consumer demand! :( .

Increase in cost of imports will "self-correct", as consumers reduce demand for imports.

Increase in borrowing interest rates will simply be reflected in an increase in the cost/price of EVERYTHING . . . and we will then be faced with proper inflation . . . which will require an increase in interest rates to curb rampant inflation . . . which will . . .

Talk about "boom & bust" . . . FFS !!

The economy is not "stagnating". It is "stable". We should appreciate that!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Basic economics states that an increase in interest rates, all other things being equal, should lead to a rise in the value of the currency as "hot money" will chase the better returns from that interest. Therefore the cost of imports should fall and reduce import based inflation.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This idea of interest rates moving monthly by the BofE is a relatively new phenomenon. Going back to early last century and earlier, interest rates remained static and a change was a major political event. Now we are, or have been made to become, used to regular changes up and down.

9. Because it' the monetarist Phillips rule. Control the economy through interest rates to drive inflation in one direction or the other. And we all know how Phillips worked for Keynesianism.....

10. Excuse my basic economics knowledge however I thought the primary reason for the rate hike was:

Inflation control.
    Consumer debt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. NSP

NSP LE

Has Carney actually got anything right since taking over? All his dire, doom-laden predictions - which seems to be all he comes out with - don't actually appear to have born fruit, by and large.

• Like Like x 6
  12. After Wednesdays PMQs there followed several Mod-related debates under the '10 minute' rule during which my ears pricked up at the mention of the dire situation re recruiting levels in all 3 services.

I have 2 sons that hope to join in due course but when we enquired @ Salisbury recruiting office 18 months ago while visiting UK they gave us some old guff about '5 years residency' before being eligible to join despite holding full British passports (ie not BNO's)

I have no idea how many eligible candidates living abroad might be considering a career in HMF but after 5 years marking time after taking up residency as per their birthright they'll likely be too settled (Relationship? Kids? Job? Mortgage?) and in their early 20s instead of getting on with it.

I hope someone in the appropriate dept in Mod reads this...

13. Despite the others on the DP today it is brightened up by the presense of the delightful Izzy Oakeshott.