BBC Coverage of Remembrance Sunday Cenotaph Service - NIVETS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mike83, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Whist the BBC coverage of the Cenotaph was quite good it does puzzle me why the commentator failed to mention the marching contingent from the Northern Ireland Veterans Association (NIVETS) who were on parade for the first time this year. The MOTHS, The Farmers and the Boys Brigade et al were all covered but not the NIVETS. As ARRSE users will know over 300,000 Servicemen served on OP BANNER over its 38 years and in that time more than 1000 were killed and some 6500 injured. The unquantifiable toll of PTSD and related disorders amongst OP BANNER Veterans continues unabated to this day. NIVETS represents each and every one of those 300,000 OP BANNER Veterans, which must be the highest number of Operational Veterans after the WW2 Veterans, yet their presence was not deemed worthy of comment by the BBC commentator.

Perhaps if someone from the BBC or the Parade Organisers reads this they might like to explain this glaring omission.

2. Cow

Cow LE

Have you asked the BBC? Easily done via their website.
  3. It was not so good they never got a mention. the commentary did not match up to what was being seen on the coverage most of the time. perhaps some dedicated footage of just march past should be shown with all being seen and mentioned. at least combat stress got a mention though
  4. I'm almost sure they did get mentioned, hangfire and I'll check the IPlayer.
  5. A bit off topic, but i thought the coverage and commentary of this year's lord mayor's show was appalling. Facts frequently wrong and often patronising.
    The coverage of the remembrance service on sunday was also poorer than normal. BBC directors for both these events seem obsessed with picking out 'minority groups'. Not got a problem with that, but sometimes we need to recognise the majority aswell.
  6. that is very true righty that bird was abit thick she called a M10 a sherman and I thought she was a dropshort she needs a trip to bovy
  7. He skimmed over about five Corps representative groups at one point, while the camera did a long shot of Whitehall. I suppose they have to balance the factual content (faces, names) of the whole thing with the artistry/design of their presentation. Still worthy of an Angry Complaint and Demand for Heads to Roll, though; got to keep the bastards on their toes.
  8. The commentator seems to have been away with the fairies, or had had a tot too many in his tea, to help keep him warm.

He referred to the Paras as having "purple berets", and wrongly identified half a dozen men in bight scarlet as being men from the Royal Marines Association!
  9. All I picked up was mentions regarding the Beven Boys and Farmers Union, etc, but little as to regimental associations marching.
  10. Not a Wah, guys. We were asking the same question on Sunday about the old fellas in the scarlet blazers and side hats. I was confused when he described them as belonging to the RM Association. Is this correct, or had the commentator fckued up?
  11. Looked like US Marines to me.
  12. I think you will find that they were indeed US marine vets.They were there last year as well for the 1st time.
  13. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

I think you'll find he said "Marine Corps" not "Royal Marines".

Mind you I was shouting at the telly every time he described berets as caps...
  14. If you think that's bad, I heard some #*&$% Eejit on the box a couple of weeks ago calling a Guardsman's bearskin a HELMET!!!!!!

I thought to myself, "You're the only F$%&ing Helmet round here mate! "
    Twat! : :roll: :roll:
  15. Not been any good since Richard Baker and Raymond Baxter stoped doing these events and the Festival. they had served and knew what they were talking about, or at least did their homework beforehand