• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

BBC Coverage Herc Foam issues

#3
three C130 Ks all delivered with fuel leaks. Not sure how easy the job is but the latest leak was discovered on the post delivery flight inspection. BBC are looking at other issues, hopefully it will be aired to coincide with the pre inquest review being held on Wednesday in Devizes. I am not here tomorrow so thought Id let fellow arrsers know what is going on.
 

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
If you mess about with old fuel bladders without using the skills of the experts then they leak.

It is a highly specialised job that is often not carried out by specialised people in order to save money.
 
#7
maninblack said:
If you mess about with old fuel bladders without using the skills of the experts then they leak.

It is a highly specialised job that is often not carried out by specialised people in order to save money.
HEY! Are you saying that these jobs were farmed out to minimum wage drift ins?


The MoD would never do that.
 
#8
armchair_jihad said:
maninblack said:
If you mess about with old fuel bladders without using the skills of the experts then they leak.

It is a highly specialised job that is often not carried out by specialised people in order to save money.
HEY! Are you saying that these jobs were farmed out to minimum wage drift ins?


The MoD would never do that.

Its a private company doing the mods.
 

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
armchair_jihad said:
HEY! Are you saying that these jobs were farmed out to minimum wage drift ins?


The MoD would never do that.
That is no way to talk about the population of the Fenlands.

All I am saying is that the work could have been carried out by a company that specialises in fuel cells rather than a general maintenance company but that would have been at a higher price.

When you remove fuel bladders they tend to develop leaks; a specialist company would have dealt with the storage, inerting, foam filling etc from a position of experience of group B rubbers.

Price versus cost is still an alien concept in bits of the DLO/DPA
 
#10
Whilst scratching myself and contemplating getting up and going to work (or suicide, whichever was the quicker) this morning, I heard some bloke purporting to be called 'Nigel Gilbert' on R2 news talking about the parlous progress of fitting foam to the C130 fleet.

Who is this person? Can anyone on here vouch for his credentials?
 
#11
Dilfor said:
Whilst scratching myself and contemplating getting up and going to work (or suicide, whichever was the quicker) this morning, I heard some bloke purporting to be called 'Nigel Gilbert' on R2 news talking about the parlous progress of fitting foam to the C130 fleet.

Who is this person? Can anyone on here vouch for his credentials?
FORMER RAF pilot Nigel Gilbert who was a close friend of a number of the Lyneham crew who died in Iraq believes their aircraft could have survived the enemy fire that brought it down.
He is closer to home than you think mate :thumleft:

Keep it up Nigel, we all appreciate your efforts!
 
#13
Always mindful to add a healthy dose of cynicism to anything involving government funding on defence I was nevertheless optimistic after an interesting conversation on the subject of foam with a chap from Marshalls whilst standing in a C130 at RIAT last year when he seemed pretty convinced that they had the green light and corresponding contract to fit-out most of the fleet. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?
 
#15
Skynet said:
The BBC coverage was good however they didn't mention that foam had been in place in many other air forces C130 for many years.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at how clueless the media are but I can't understand why they miss the key points:

The US fits foam as standard as Vietnam taught them that a tactical transport (ie one that is designed to go places where it will be shot at) that blows up every time it gets hit in a fuel tank is a very bad idea.

Lots of other users (can't tell you off the top of my head) have since agreed with them.

The UK is (almost ?) unique in that it made the deliberate, considered decision not to fit foam for financial reasons. It then sent sent these ac into harms way.
 
#16
Just for the record the US started fitting foam to Hercules aircraft in 1967. The first official request for foam that I have been able to confirm was made by the RAF in 1982. The BBC were updating the story the other day because the relatives of those killed 2 years ago assembled in Wilts for the pre inquest review.

The RAF and MoD have stated that they were not aware of any requirement for foam until XV179 was shot down in Jan 2005.

A ridiculous statement. Every "K" Hercules that has been fitted with foam fom Marshall's has been delivered with fuel leaks. All of these aircraft have had to be rectified.

We have lost 3 Hercules in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2 years, none of these aircraft had fuel tank protection. The US and Aus Mil Forces do not operate C130 ac in Iraq and Afghanistan without foam protection. We do.
Partly as a result of overstretch, we cannot fit the foam any faster.
 

Latest Threads