BBC 'Comedies' - Does Anyone Like...

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
On another thread hapyuk said:

It's clear the Beeb has been in a sad dreary politically-motivated decline for some time just by looking at their comedy slots. Can anyone remember any recent BBC sitcom that comes anywhere near to Only Fools and Horses? Me neither. Remember the recent series Monks? About as funny as Peter Sutcliffe's todo list.

These Maoists and Trotskyites are humourless and dogmatic lot. Oxbridge graduates with degrees in smart-arse sneering. It was veteran producer John Lloyd who hit the nail on the head describing commissioning editors with a background in “scheduling, marketing and car-parking”. Spot on.

Which made me think about some recent 'comedies' like 'Lead Balloon' and 'Friday Night Dinner'.

Does anyone outside of Islington (and Golders Green for Friday Night Dinner') find either of these two remotely funny? At least they are commissioning a second series of 'House of Fools'.

On another thread hapyuk said:

Which made me think about some recent 'comedies' like 'Lead Balloon' and 'Friday Night Dinner'.

Does anyone outside of Islington (and Golders Green for Friday Night Dinner') find either of these two remotely funny? At least they are commissioning a second series of 'House of Fools'.

Not in the slightest, and in that we are unanimous!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
This is by no means a recommendation for either of these shows, but their sole shared redeeming feature is that at least they aren't Mrs Brown's Boys. Now that is shit.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I quite liked Little Britain... but even that got a bit 'unfunny' as I didn't really get the old woman pissing everywhere.

The Office (2001) original and cringeworthily funny.

Coupling (2004) was brilliant, but as it was punted out on BBC2 so it didn't get much spotlight.

That's about it really. There was that other 'comedy' up until quite recently starring that big oaf from Punt and Dennis as the dad, an annoying little girl, a wife, and some boy who talks like he's chewing a toffee at the same time and makes me want to choke him. It's got 'numbers' in the title I think... everyone was raving about it, but I couldn't watch more than 5 mins because of the boy's annoying voice.

Personally, I think Lenny Henry should team up with Stephen K Amos and have an nightly hour-long slot about jokes involving skin colour and how they're allowed to say the 'N' word. That'll get the critics jizzing their pants.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry, I have to confess to liking mrs browns boys, mainly when he fcuks off from the script and abuses the cast or crew :)

Bluestone 42, that's good too.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know, I only recognise The Office from the above posts, I've never heard of the other programmes.
Perhaps it's a generation thing, I found The Young Ones rather boring and stupid, watched one or two episodes and that was it, my little brother who was at university thought it bloody hilarious.
Black Adder, now I find that funny, and Porridge and Open all Hours, but this modern stuff, I just do t get it. It's juvenile and crude to the point of been embarrassing. Thank goodness for Gold.
Is it time to sign get the Mess Webley and take a short walk? Or do other folk of a certain age think the same?

Perhaps not much in the way of TV comedy, but 'Down the Line', 'Cabin Pressure' and 'Ed Reardon's Week' are three personal favourites from R4.

Actually, they are oases in a parched wasteland of right-on, metrosexual dross ('The News Quiz' and 'The Now Show'), the moribund ('Just a Minute' and 'Desert Island Discs'), the mawkish and self-indulgent ('The Listening Project', 'iPM' and 'Saturday Live' - which seems to be the natural inheritor of that truly awful thing that John Peel did some years ago), the ishoo-laden and depressing ('The Archers'), the whining and misandric ('Woman's Hour'), the pretentious and boring ('Front Row', 'In Our Time' - presented by the self-regarding knobhead, 'Lord' Melvyn Bragg), the inappropriately frivolous ('PM' with Eddie 'I really wanted to be a comedian' Mair), the interminable ('The Today Programme' - ok up to the 08:10 interview slot, after which there is nothing but rushed filler items, dropped line connections and the usual culmination when the presenters crash the 'pips' at 09:00) and the pointless ('Midweek' - with that overgrown Head Girl, Libby Purves and 'The Shipping Forecast').

Did I forget anything?

Can anyone remember any recent BBC sitcom that comes anywhere near to Only Fools and Horses?

Christ the night, what lofty aspirations!

If was funny - but not the genius the world would have us beleive

Other peoples opinion may vary

Mine definitely does. Never found it even vaguely amusing.

But then I don't really like "comedy".

BBC3, Bluestone 42 aside, appears to be a dumping ground of 'comedies' that are so painfully unfunny that they should all be culled at birth. It's like the NAAFI Bar on here with B42 as the BadgerHeed/VG/PGs of the site trying to be amusing while floundering in a sea of unfunny cnuts.

Everyone's so scared of offending someone now that British TV comedy just isn't funny anymore. The best I've seen in years are the American cartoons (Family Guy, South Park etc) that go out of their way to be offensive and actually succeed in being funny.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

BBC3, Bluestone 42 aside, appears to be a dumping ground of 'comedies' that are so painfully unfunny that they should all be culled at birth. It's like the NAAFI Bar on here with B42 as the BadgerHeed/VG/PGs of the site trying to be amusing while floundering in a sea of unfunny *****.

Everyone's so scared of offending someone now that British TV comedy just isn't funny anymore. The best I've seen in years are the American cartoons (Family Guy, South Park etc) that go out of their way to be offensive and actually succeed in being funny.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
did you catch that shoite with a dog that was a bloke or something? Spectacularly pants

ARRSE mobile - made for reading on the pot

It got a bit of a slagging in some quarters but I found 'How Not To Live Your Life' hilarious. Written by and starting Dan Clark, it was dropped after three series.

Last edited:

alib

LE
Funny, R4 is a rather successful hothouse of comedy writing but I can only really think of The Office and The Thick Of It which had its moments, both very British.

The Beeb suffers from clinging to its celebs long past their sell buy dates in all areas and the writing talent moves elsewhere often to the US.

Steve Coogan's a **** but this was funny:

Three years on from 2010's The Trip, Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have reunited with director Michael Winterbottom for a sequel The Trip to Italy. According to Coogan, "it's exactly the same but sunnier."

The original BBC TV series saw them eating and bickering their way across the north of England. It became a worldwide hit and spawned a spin-off feature film based on its highlights.

Now Coogan, Brydon and Winterbottom have taken The Trip to Italy to the Sundance Film Festival in Utah for its world premiere.

The two-hour film and accompanying TV series see the comedians once again eating and bickering as they travel in a Mini convertible - a reference to The Italian Job - across the sun-soaked vineyards of Liguria down to the breathtaking cliffs of the Amalfi coastline.

"Nothing much happens in this one either," says Coogan. "In fact it's exactly the same as the first Trip, but it's sunnier. You could go and see the first one again in fact. I'm not doing a good job of selling this, am I?"

Just like the first Trip, where the actors played fictionalised versions of themselves, The Trip to Italy has them embark on a gastronomic tour for the Observer newspaper.​

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25840242

alib

LE
Very strange beast The Trip, rather touching in parts, I'd forgotten it was comedy.

This is by no means a recommendation for either of these shows, but their sole shared redeeming feature is that at least they aren't Mrs Brown's Boys. Now that is shit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Mrs. Brown's Boys to be a steaming pile of dog toffee. I have had more entertainment value from the tetanus shot I received after stepping on a rusty nail.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Reading some of the stuff on this site gives me the impression that the Beeb should look no further than this site for it's recruitment of new writers.

Ok whatever comes of it just might have to be shown after 11pm but it would be better than the offerings on show at the moment!