BBC claims UK defenceless

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Andrew_2010E, Jun 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC claim the following:

The UK has no defence against missile attack (unlike Japan, several Gulf states and Israel);

no long range anti-aircraft missiles (they went 30 years ago);

no diesel submarines able to protect the home islands (these were scrapped in the 1990s);

only enough minesweepers to keep one of its major ports open;

no long range maritime patrol aircraft (binned in the SDSR);

there is frequently no frigate or destroyer available for home defence;

and the number of RAF interceptors that are fully operational is barely adequate.

Is this all correct and is it important or offset by other defence improvements or developments?
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Your link doesn't work. Poor skills for a journo.

We don't have a missile defence like Japan, Israel or in the Gulf because we don't have enemies with missiles and a liklihood of using them.

We have nuclear subs to protect British waters, but from whom I'm not quite sure. They're better used floating off the Falklands scaring Argentina.

If someone's mining our harbours we're at the point when we only need to keep one open - Faslane so the bombers can get out. There won't be a lot for them to come back to.

The number of RAF "interceptors" (what are they, do you mean fighters for home defence?) - barely adequate for what?
  3. That article looks like it belongs in the daily mail.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Andrew, if you can highlight the threat which justifies the acquisition of the weapon systems that you have highlighted then I, for one, would be very interested to hear from you. Our MPA capability will be regenerated, hence the 'seedcorn' project.
  5. No problem. We shall reform the Home Guard. I'm sure that I can still use an M14.
  6. We're doomed?
  7. I'm not interested in defending the article just would like it redressed. However no maritime patrol aircraft - what about Russian incursions into UK airspace?
  8. No we're not, you'll come back to save every one of us...or is that Flash Gordon?
  9. And why would you want it redressed exactly?
  10. If there's sufficient slots at Heathrow, otherwise Gatwick.
  11. Try this link: BBC News - Jubilees show UK's declining ability to protect itself

12. images.jpg

Yep, we're doomed!
  13. Flash Gordon I think. I'm Flesh Gordon.
  14. Are zee Germans coming?
  15. If we're after intercepting Russian incursions into our airspace, wouldn't a Typhoon be a bit more use than a Nimrod?
    • Like Like x 1