BBC calls new boat a boat and Admiral gets a sad on

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
can we get someon to phone up the news every time a sodding APC is called a tank? or rifles are referred to as 'guns' etc?

Or a corporal is referred to as an 'army officer'

Business reporter Justin Rowlatt was swiftly correctly by Admiral Lord West, the former First Sea Lord, who phoned the programme to point out the slip - prompting a speedy correction.
Will someone do me a favour and phone in to complain that it should be "corrected", not "correctly".

Cheers.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Why is the good Admiral prepared to ring up the BBC for calling the boat a boat when he could use his time to better effect by standing in front of the mirror and giving himself a chat without coffee for helping to screw up British defence policy?

And the BBC's not blameless either; where was the journalist nous to say "Oi, Admiral, never mind that. While you're on the phone, talk us through your part in this whole fiasco."

Until the point at which it actually carries some aircraft I'd suggest the admiral winds his neck in.

I once worked on a naval project and met my fair share of crusty old naval pedants. Mind you, it was Astute so if I was suitably vague I could get them to tell me it was a ship, whereupon I could look at them pityingly and explain that actually we called them boats. We had to make our own fun in those days.

Yeah, every building that gets demolished is said to have been "bulldozed".
It ain't easy to bulldoze a block of flats.

Other earth moving plant is available.

Fùck. Just realised the one I was thinking of was Boyce. Cancel my last.

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I think my contempt for the BBC is 0.05% greater than my contempt for Banjo West, but it's the vital 0.05% in this instance.

The BBC is the repository of all kinds of clever when it comes to gardening, antiques, poetry and endless dull Victorian costume dramas. When it comes to anything military, on the other hand, they go all vaguely bovine and stupid, because it's unfashionable in their little media point universe to show any interest at all in military matters. It's all so crypto-fascist, you know.

This is why every actor who has to dress like a service person in a BBC production has to have a beret shaped like a hippo turd and wear their combats like a CCF Colonel.

Isn't that mostly in the Royal Anglican Regiment?
The Anglican Church has a royal regiment too? I have heard of the Church Army but didn't realise they had a regimental structure... Every day a school day eh.

I always thought a submarine was know as a boat, but they aren't open vessels or propelled by oars.
Doesn't the navy define a ship as a vessel that carries boats and a boat as a vessel that doesn't or some such?

Latest Threads