BBC - Browne Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bat_Crab, Apr 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is he just misunderstood, maybe he does have some good points:

BBC News Analysis

Not a good start, if there is one thing we value above all else in our leaders it is charisma and Des is sadly lacking in that department.

Did that start on ARRSE, or was it brought in from some NAAFI somewhere?

Was that genuinely the case or just what the reporter was told? If he has been to Iraq and Afghanistan more than any other SofS that has to be a good thing, surely?

As for the second statement in bold I reported this quote from The Times2 on another thread:

So Is Des misunderstood? Is he a genuinely nice chap who has just been caught out by how scurrilous Westminster can be? Do we want a genuinely nice chap as SofS? Maybe he is worth a second chance after all...

P.S. This thread is not about his handling of the "cash for cowardice" affair, but about his record as SofS as a whole.

2. He might be a nice chap (I'll give him benefit of the doubt as I've never met him), but that does not make him competent for the job.

Niceness does not excuse incompetence. (Thats incompetence for his whole tenure as SoS for Defence, not just last couple of weeks)

3. He seems much better than some of those who have gone before.

As a matter of interest, who do posters think the best Defence secretary in history was. Tack the vote onto the bottoms of Your posts if You want to add to this aside - that way we won't be off thread.

4. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Exactly what Stooge said. There might be plenty of officers and NCO's who are nice chaps, but are you going to care if they bumble into an ambush with you in tow? I'd rather have a competent arrsehole than a nice fool.

Alan Clark.

5. I'm afraid that's all we're likely to get for the remainder of this government. Career politicians and trade unionists with no relevant experience will be thrown into ministerial jobs that they can't even begin to cope with.

Patricia Hewitt at health; Margaret Beckett at the Foreign Office, even John Reid, who is probably the best of the lot can't manage the Home Office. As a reward for years of loyalty to the dear leader they are given ministerial posts and a blind eye is turned to the resultant chaos.

I've no doubt Swiss Des is a decent and clever man. But as a solicitor, he has never managed a large organisation. Even when he became a partner in a law firm he would only have had a secretary a few junior solicitors reporting to him. How in god's name can he be expected to manage an organisation the size of the MoD? I understand he took a day's holiday during the crisis and was uncontactable for 24 hours.