BBC bosses earn more than PM

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5641639/BBC-boss-Mark-Thompson-under-pressure-to-cut-executive-pay.html

For me it shows how democratic is Great Britain. Salaries of top bossed of Russian state-run TV are likely top secret. They work hard to improve the image of Putin's regime and are quite effective in brainwashing.

2. Oddly enough, the Beeb are pretty good at that sort of thing, too.

3. I have two problems with your post.

1) Salaries have traditionally been kept 'modest' in comparison to the responsibility of the task of politician in Britain, high enough to enable those of poor background not to be inhibited from holding the office and encourage the gifted, and low enough not to encourage greedy careerists and attract people who put the job before the money. Despite what one imagines now, politicians don't go into it for the money in this country.

2) Despite what we banter about, the BBC isn't there to broadcast the will of the Party.

I have always been grateful that I wasn't born a Russian. But then most of you poor sods don't even know what you're missing. Imperfect as the UK and the rest of Europe is, at least dissent from propaganda doesn't result in being shot.

4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

9 am tomorrow morning. Report to the post in the square. Bring your own blindfold.

5. Nothing unusual about that, there are Civil Servants working at local council level (normally the big cities) on £200K + bonuses, although I don't think their pension plan is as generous....... Or their after dinner speech revenue ;)

6. msr

msr LE

For a salary alone that puts them in the top 5% of earners? I do believe you have been living in a cave for the last month...

Now I believe you have been living in a cave for the last 30 years.

7. and £1.97. No change can be given.

8. Not worth as much net per month now :D

Aren't they glad they voted Labour............

9. The BBC will "Always" state to ensure the corporation has a wealth of talent from peronalities, Boardroom staff to support staff, they have to pay them the correct & going rate in order to produce qulaity programmes

The thing that hacks me off are the people with excessively high salaries such as JR & Co, can't stand the person myself & if other Broadcasters can freeze & cut back then the Beeb should be showing an example!

Now the BBC Trust are complaining about the licence fee being redistributed, I wonder why?

10. msr. I read Private Eye avidly, and am generally as cynical as they come, however I still believe that greed for personal power and ambition will always outweigh lust for pecuniary advantage. That was the point I was trying to make.

The same applies to the BBC. Individuals in that organisation are more likely to follow their own agenda than that of a Government. This is slightly different but not dissimilar from newspapers (that once followed the line of an editor) that will follow that of the owner(s), who purchased it for that reason alone. Those within the BBC who control what is reported, commissioned and how it is broadcast, may follow the line of a party if it is in their interests to do so, but it's bloody fickle by anyone's standards.

11. The BBC pay a lot of their performers more than private channels. They have a huge influence on what the 'going rate' is, and if you want to watch TV, you don't have a choice whether or not you're a customer.

12. Hmmm. There's much less individuality within the Beeb than you may think. 'Individuals' may follow their own agendas, but those agendas appear to be the same as everybody else's within the Corporation.

It's a bit like the "yes, we're all individuals" scene in The Life of Brian. The consensus is way to the left of centre and it shows in the programmes that they put on air.

Programme ideas are put to commissioning editors who have the same lefty persuasions as the producers. The ones that make it to air tend to celebrate high public spending, diversity, liberal values, empowerment and wanky middle class ideals and 'lifestyles'.

13. I'll put my tin foil hat back on then, it must have slipped. :roll:

14. I always maintained that Max Hastings (known in the newspaper business as 'Hitler Hastings') should have been made DG at the BBC. That would have turned a few little worlds upside down...

15. Or the other favourite - David Attenborough, blessings and peace be upon him.