BBC bias toward a military junta (Egypt)?

C

cloudbuster

Yeah. Lets start openly supporting a group of crack pot Islamists that want to drive Egypt back into the dark ages.
Any similarities with the Scottish Nationalists are completely coincidental.........

At least they are picking sides.

I'd rather that than another Bosnia fiasco where the objective is to be everyones friend and nobodies enemy.

Looking at it with my objective head on I can see why they aren't showing any support for The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. Their motives and methods aren't exactly forward thinking and compatible with a progressive and inclusive Egyptian society.

The BBC were previously (along with the Guardian, obviously) cheerleaders for the 'Arab Spring' which anyone with a lick of sense could see was going to result in a great boost for Islamists, followed by civil disturbances and the arming of fanatic groups. With Saudi/Gulf backing, Arabs are gearing up for a Sunni/Shia bloodbath, with the Shia obviously funded and supported by Iran.

Perhaps the best thing we in the west can do is to let them get on with murdering one another whilst developing some alternative source of power to oil - thorium reactors perhaps.

The BBC were previously (along with the Guardian, obviously) cheerleaders for the 'Arab Spring' which anyone with a lick of sense could see was going to result in a great boost for Islamists, followed by civil disturbances and the arming of fanatic groups. With Saudi/Gulf backing, Arabs are gearing up for a Sunni/Shia bloodbath, with the Shia obviously funded and supported by Iran.

Perhaps the best thing we in the west can do is to let them get on with murdering one another whilst developing some alternative source of power to oil - thorium reactors perhaps.
I think David Cameron and other leaders all over the world will read this and realise they've been rumbled. It stands to reason, whilst the factions out there are tying themselves in knots over People's Judean Front and Judean People's Front semantics, they are keeping busy and killing each other. The only worry is that pesky oil otherwise it wouldn't even be a blip on the radar ...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I'd quiet like to see the BBC take a "It's a Knockout" view on the whole Arab spring affair, with the African infantryman of the year appearing as the "Joker" for the various waring factions from time to time. However, alas, I fear they'll just keep going with the shite they're doing now.

Well if the west hadnt gone all out to arm bribe every little arab strongman or impose a tryant on iran they might have some sort of moral highground on which to stand.

Yeah. Lets start openly supporting a group of crack pot Islamists that want to drive Egypt back into the dark ages.
This democracy is damned tricky. If you don't like how people vote then kill them.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

F

Flash Back

Looking at it with my objective head on I can see why they aren't showing any support for The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.
The BBC shouldn't 'support' anyone, it's job is to report the facts.

The fact is the opposition are protesting a military dictatorship installed by us!

Their motives and methods aren't exactly forward thinking and compatible with a progressive and inclusive Egyptian society.
Is that the MB or Military Dictators? Why the fcuk are WE funding anyone in the ME ??

(thanks to all those who have posted 'fcuk them as long as the oil keeps flowing'. Your honesty is refreshing, even if not complete).

F

Flash Back

This democracy is damned tricky. If you don't like how people vote then kill them.
Thailand is a great example of Western backed democracy too - those in Bangkok accuse Northern 'peasants' of been to stupid to vote.

The Northern 'peasants' are asking if the 'educated elite' have forgotten what democracy is.

Tbf after ww1 and the otterman empire collapsing the British empire and the french fucked over the entire middle east created royal families and generally imposed unwanted rulers.

Maple

LE
The BBC shouldn't 'support' anyone, it's job is to report the facts.
Where were you during GWII? Where were you in the 80s 90s when the BBC would trot out a very left-wing agenda with monotonous regularity? (see what I did there?)

After several reviews the liberal media graduates seem to have been dragged kicking and screaming towards the middle ground-ish, for now, less Orla Guerin MBE who obviously blames the Jews

The Muslim Brotherhood have an interesting history......in much the same way that PIRA have, bottom line, terrorist kunts that can rot in hell

F

Flash Back

The Israelis have an interesting history......in much the same way that PIRA have, bottom line, terrorist kunts that can rot in hell
As long as you're not biased….

Is that an observation or a policy statement?

MB don't care about democracy either. They will just use it to seize power and abolish it afterwards.

To paraphrase Churchill on the choice of communism over fascism, Assad can only get better, but the Muslim Brotherhood can only get worse.

alib

LE
It's a journalist taking a line, get over it, the BBC these days like the rest of the MSM is an infotainment channel with a lot of editorial content. If the Beeb, has an editorial line on Egypt here that's safely in line with wee Willy Hague and nice Mr Obama, this is to be expected.

In any case the media is plagued by gutless "balanced" reporting often results in utter drivel being pumped out with both sides of very uneven arguments being presented as equal, usually this isn't the case in journalism. Here we do have some shades of grey, having accepted a reasonably popular coup by a deeply corrupt and really rather nasty officer corps bankrolled mainly by our dodgy Kingship allies against a legitimate government that was overreaching. DC in the process has lost most of its influence over a pivotal country. It's not pretty, more than a little embarrassing for the great and the good trying to get ahead of a fictive version of history, but there it is.

Orwell's timid Ministry of Truth like Al Jaz is institutionally subject to far more political pressure than most organs, it normally tows the establishment line on major FP issues. HMG tends to turn nasty just as quickly as the Emir of Qatar if it takes a moral stand on such things as we saw when it briefly stuck its head up over the parapet over Iraq.

The Junta was always a primary actor in the Arab Spring, complicit in ousting Mubarak to head off a succession crisis. Most of the media backed this and became uncomfortable when the Brothers inevitably rose democratically to power. They have not mourned their fall, that jars with the Wilsonian "Freedoms March" fairytale that most of our journos are prone to. I'd not mistake our MSM on affairs abroad for anything more than a complicit cartoon of reality designed mainly to entertain and reassure.

The Shia/Sunni contest is one I was browsing around about recently and among other items came across this one.

I am not sure there is anything we could do other than let them get on with it in their homelands even if we wanted, rather the concern is how to stop it becoming an issue here in the UK. It may or may not kick off here, who knows, but it seems like a tinderbox situation. We have seen how in the recent Summer riots how these things can spread once they kick off.

Shia And Sunni Tensions In Syria Threaten To Split British Muslim Community

Last edited:

alib

LE
Anybody who thinks there is "a Muslim community" in the UK or anywhere in Europe has not been paying attention. You might as well talk about a Christian community existing in the 6C, they are even more diverse and divided and can only get it together on a few hot button issues. Even the Pakistanis break down into rival ethnic groups and often finally clans.
That gives me an idea for a Life of Brian follow on, "The Life of Mo" maybe?

Latest Threads