BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Quite a good example of the Beeb's double standard's last night while watching a programme on BBC 4 about the first immigrants from the Highlands that went to Canada. First bit was quite good with the details of the horrendous voyage across and the disappointment on arriving to find that the farm land they were promised was actually a dense forest. Bit of a hard start but their descendants seem very proud of their Scottish roots. The local council even built a replica of the first ship to land as a tourist attraction.

The last bit pointed out that these Scottish immigrants displaced the local people (always thought Canada had plenty of room for everyone but hey ho) and had a University Professor waffling on about how the immigrant culture of these Scots was a very negative thing for the natives. The tone was that these people, who were fleeing the clearances, were basically a pain in the backside for the local tribes and just took over and we should now all hang our heads in shame. Which is the exact opposite of the mantra pushed by the BBC when migrants from far away places arrive on these shores, then its apparently wonderful and brilliant and anyone complaining about arrivals is this, that and the other.

The argument fell right apart for me when the current leader of this native tribe was introduced and interviewed and he had a Scottish name, his missus was a descendant of the first Scottish settlers and he sat proudly displaying a mug he had been given as an invitation to a gathering of the clans. He didn't really seem that upset at all.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Quite a good example of the Beeb's double standards today:

MP Fiona Onasanya jailed for 3 months for lying to avoid speeding ticket

An MP has become the first female Member of Parliament to be jailed after she was sentenced for lying to police to avoid a speeding ticket. Disgraced Fiona Onasanya, Labour MP for Peterborough, was caught driving at 41mph in a 30mph zone in her constituency. However, she went on to collude with her brother Festus to avoid the speeding ticket, naming Aleks Antipow – an acquaintance of Festus – as the driver.

Fiona Onasanya (right) was given a three-month prison sentence at the Old Bailey today (Picture: PA)
1548771867726.png

However, he was hundreds of miles away at the time, visiting his parents in Russia.

Fiona Onasanya, 35, was jailed for three months while her brother was given a 10-month sentence by judge Mr Justice Stuart-Smith.

He said: ‘It’s a tragedy that you have found yourselves here and in this predicament but it’s a tragedy that you have brought on yourselves.’

He added: ‘If she wasn’t an MP or wasn’t in a position of responsibility, she would go inside. It’s not one law for those in a position of power, and another for those who are not.’

Festus, 34, from Cambridge, pleaded guilty to three counts of perverting the course of justice over speeding, including for the July 24 incident.

In the wake of the guilty verdict, Onasanya was expelled from the Labour Party and has launched an appeal against her conviction.

Onasanya took the marginal seat from the Tories with a majority of just 607 at the 2017 election only 18 months ago. Parliamentary rules require the removal of an MP who is jailed for 12 months or more. But if the sentence is less than that a recall petition can force a by-election if it is signed by more than 10 per cent of the electorate in the Cambridgeshire seat.

Read more: MP Fiona Onasanya jailed for 3 months for lying to avoid speeding ticket | Metro News

Not sure when the sentence was handed down - and yes, I know this topic has been widely covered in the other thread HERE

Having watched the 1pm BBC News I learned a heck of a lot about

• The machinations of pro and anti Brexit campaigners at Westminster and in Brussels
  • Andy Murray's hip replacement
  • global warming
  • Food banks

If there was a SINGLE WORD about

' LABOUR MP JAILED FOR LYING TO POLICE '

I guess it may have been when I blinked.......

QUESTION: if the story had been

' Conservative/UKIP/Lib-DEM MP jailed for perverting the course of justice'

does anyone present believe the BBC wouldn't have LED with it?

#BBCNews #Haveigotnewsforyou #PrivateEye #whatafeckinjoke

Last edited:
Quite a good example of the Beeb's double standards today:

MP Fiona Onasanya jailed for 3 months for lying to avoid speeding ticket

An MP has become the first female Member of Parliament to be jailed after she was sentenced for lying to police to avoid a speeding ticket. Disgraced Fiona Onasanya, Labour MP for Peterborough, was caught driving at 41mph in a 30mph zone in her constituency. However, she went on to collude with her brother Festus to avoid the speeding ticket, naming Aleks Antipow – an acquaintance of Festus – as the driver.

Fiona Onasanya (right) was given a three-month prison sentence at the Old Bailey today (Picture: PA) View attachment 374511

However, he was hundreds of miles away at the time, visiting his parents in Russia.

Fiona Onasanya, 35, was jailed for three months while her brother was given a 10-month sentence by judge Mr Justice Stuart-Smith.

He said: ‘It’s a tragedy that you have found yourselves here and in this predicament but it’s a tragedy that you have brought on yourselves.’

He added: ‘If she wasn’t an MP or wasn’t in a position of responsibility, she would go inside. It’s not one law for those in a position of power, and another for those who are not.’

Festus, 34, from Cambridge, pleaded guilty to three counts of perverting the course of justice over speeding, including for the July 24 incident.

In the wake of the guilty verdict, Onasanya was expelled from the Labour Party and has launched an appeal against her conviction.

Onasanya took the marginal seat from the Tories with a majority of just 607 at the 2017 election only 18 months ago. Parliamentary rules require the removal of an MP who is jailed for 12 months or more. But if the sentence is less than that a recall petition can force a by-election if it is signed by more than 10 per cent of the electorate in the Cambridgeshire seat.

Read more: MP Fiona Onasanya jailed for 3 months for lying to avoid speeding ticket | Metro News

Not sure when the sentence was handed down - and yes, I know this topic has been widely covered in the other thread HERE

Having watched the 1pm BBC News I learned a heck of a lot about

• The machinations of pro and anti Brexit campaigners at Westminster and in Brussels
  • Andy Murray's hip replacement
  • global warming
  • Food banks

If there was a SINGLE WORD about

' LABOUR MP JAILED FOR LYING TO POLICE '

I guess it may have been when I blinked.......

QUESTION: if the story had been

' Conservative/UKIP/Lib-DEM MP jailed for perverting the course of justice'

does anyone present believe the BBC wouldn't have LED with it?

#BBCNews #Haveigotnewsforyou #PrivateEye #whatafeckinjoke
It was on their news channel - red button thing last night.I have not checked this am.
It is on their website.However it is not on the front page, and after a search it comes up as news local to Cambridgeshire.

Whatever you think of brexit, the BBC female correspondent in Brussels sporting a natty Blue Scarf in exactly the same colours of the EU Flag, draped behind her in the background... Was like watching north korean TV.
Was it really?

I agree that BBC reporting of matters pertaining to Brexit is generally slanted toward a REMAIN point of view, but to compare their output to that of North Korean propaganda is so far wide of the mark it's almost laughable. No mention of capitalist running dogs or jubilant paeans to the wisdom and courage of Kim Jong Juncker that I heard...

In fact to make such a claim may well devalue any other criticism of the BBC output you make in the mind of any external observer.

Of course I'm unfamiliar with the Remainer tactic of subliminal messaging via the medium of scarves...

Was it really?

I agree that BBC reporting of matters pertaining to Brexit is generally slanted toward a REMAIN point of view, but to compare their output to that of North Korean propaganda is so far wide of the mark it's almost laughable. No mention of capitalist running dogs or jubilant paeans to the wisdom and courage of Kim Jong Juncker that I heard...

In fact to make such a claim may well devalue any other criticism of the BBC output you make in the mind of any external observer.

Of course I'm unfamiliar with the Remainer tactic of subliminal messaging via the medium of scarves...
I was having a laugh, no need to get thy knicks in a twist.

I was having a laugh, no need to get thy knicks in a twist.
Fair enough, apologies for any undue lingerie torsional strain. I'm just getting bored with positions getting ever more extreme and entrenched. I have a Facebook acquaintance whose entire output (which has increased markedly) has morphed over the last year from being relatively amusing and sane with a lefty slant to being rabidly anti Brexit and anti Tory with no humour or room for any other opinion but his own.

It seems that for many this is an era of extremism, and battle lines must be drawn up...

I know it's Sky and not the BBC, but they are probably not far off equal when it comes to bias:

Sky Data poll: Public prefer a deal instead of hard Brexit

Public prefer a deal instead of hard brexit is the Headline, until you read the article which goes on to say:

"Asked to choose between Theresa May's initial Brexit deal including the backstop, a version of the same deal without the backstop, or a no-deal Brexit, leaving without a deal is the most popular single option - but significantly more would prefer a deal of some sort if you count the different options together."

Nothing like twisting the data to suit your prejudice, I wonder if the reporter learned their job with the BBC?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
....and from the same stable, look beyond the headline:

The immediate sacking of Laura Kuenssberg from the BBC

Sign the Petition

Despite the view of many on this board, the petition organisers are definitely not coming from the same angle :)

Fair enough, apologies for any undue lingerie torsional strain. I'm just getting bored with positions getting ever more extreme and entrenched. I have a Facebook acquaintance whose entire output (which has increased markedly) has morphed over the last year from being relatively amusing and sane with a lefty slant to being rabidly anti Brexit and anti Tory with no humour or room for any other opinion but his own.

It seems that for many this is an era of extremism, and battle lines must be drawn up...
True enough... Psychologically, I suppose its the feeling that nobody is listening. The world is supposed to keep changing, but we still adhere to a 1990s consensus, that being seen to be good matters more, than actions. That flip side, is when we see bad things, we act rather than make excuses.

Very tub-thumpingly British, if this was correct. Or a re-run of a certain Top Gear episode regarding European challenge.:p

'A gaffe by BBC News at Six made it look like Theresa May was travelling to Brussels to reopen talks with the EU on Brexit deal in a fleet of second world war fighter planes.'

BBC gaffe shows Theresa May travelling to Brussels in World War 2 plane

'At the end of Wednesday’s evening programme viewers were shown black and white footage of the iconic planes as newsreader Sophie Raworth summarised the prime minister’s plan to reopen Brexit talks with EU leaders. As the footage of the planes was played, Raworth read: “Theresa May says she intends to go back to Brussels to negotiate her Brexit deal but EU leaders say the deal is done and they will not reopen talks.” '

Theresa May will not be flying to Brussels in Spitfire, BBC clarifies

True enough... Psychologically, I suppose its the feeling that nobody is listening. The world is supposed to keep changing, but we still adhere to a 1990s consensus, that being seen to be good matters more, than actions. That flip side, is when we see bad things, we act rather than make excuses.
Eh?

Waiting for the News on R5 this am the presenter talked about haw he had been in a pub over the weekend with about 25 passionate remainers and at the end he asked how many thought we would stay in.
Only four.
Does this mean we have accepted that we are leaving he mused before spewing some more pro EU propaganda.
I would genuinely have thought that decision was taken 2.5 years ago.

If the BBC are smart and with-it, they'll get Fiona Bruce to come out as transgender, or at least gender confused.

Given that gender fantasy is the current "Top Trump" in the panoply of victim cults, that'll put the passée race victims back in their box for the time being.
Will she change her name to Fiona Caitlyn?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw a bit of the BBC news at lunchtime today and it was interesting to note that for all their equality and diversity it was the blokes doing the outside broadcasting about the "terrible" weather while all the females were in studios.