BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Awol

LE
I, with others, very peacefully protected my local war memorial a couple of weeks ago because there was a BLM protest 100 metres away, the Cenotaph had been vandalised by them a few days before and the local paper predicted the memorial was a target.

The price of this is that my 19 year old daughter has now disowned me, and what was already a very fragile relationship, thanks to her mother filling her head with lies, now appears to be irrevocably damaged.

I hope BLM burn in the fires of hell.

1. No, whether someone is a 'victim' should be ascertained before broadcast. Let me put that another way: if someone is professing to be a victim then their (alleged) persecutor should be provided with an equal, unbiased, right of reply.

What we're seeing the BBC do too often is present a narrative rather than an opportunity to debate an unfairness and so reach some form of remediation/conclusion.

Too often, victim status is asserted on behalf of the victim in order to reinforce a narrative. In fact, one could reasonably at the moment, I think, go as far as to assert that the BBC is seeking out 'victims' who suit its narratives. The fair responses which should be allowed are either simply not invited/aired, or those who attempt to respond are shouted down or vilified.

To refer to one of my recent posts, that's why I've lost trust.

2. Racism is not a meaningless word. Yes, it's about hatred and bias but it has as its base ethnicity so it's a specific form of hatred/bias.

However, it is well on its way back to becoming a meaningless word because of the way it is used in the MSM, which includes the BBC. I thought we'd got past the meaningless/perverted use of the word when Labour got itself unelected but what we're seeing at the moment is an attempt to reassert 'racism' as a useful catch-all term with which to stifle debate.

My black lady friend has moved out of the South London echo chamber into the (relatively) leafy suburbs and has brought with her her constantly reasserted assertions. She's now having to learn a) that not nearly everyone in the suburbs is a white racist b) that 'white privilege' is a catch-all and therefore derogatory term which some people quite rightly are offended by and c) that some of those 'privileged' white people haven't had it as easy as her, and that to assert white privilege to such people is going to provoke a reaction.

The problem is that if you're steeped (or have been) in PC-speak, generalisations flow only one way. So-called 'white fragility' is just another construct designed to deflect from what is actually righteous indignation over being pigeon-holed.

The conversation ended with her in tears and asking me if I thought she was intelligent. My response was that my opinion doesn't, or shouldn't matter to her. My sole right, or role, is to judge her as a person and how she behaves towards me and others - and her ambition, in fact both of our ambitions, should be to see people as people and not use skin colour as the first and overriding criterion.
Agreed and my loss of trust is the same i.e. absolutely no critical thinking, or interrogation of a single narrative, presented as fact by the media.... On racism; ethnicity can see Hutu kill Tutsi, but wearing the wrong gang colours in another neighbourhood, can see you knifed to death. So the ideas of systemic racism is restricted to state racism and at the individual level its just hate and ignorance.

The underlying problem is modern racism is an extension of post-colonial guilt and some exploiting that guilt to get ahead and BLM is just a derivation of the ideas of mobutuism and the reinvention of colonial peoples as noble people in tune with nature and the colonial oppressors defined as something inhuman, rather than exploiting an already divided system and systemising it as happened in rwanda.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That's information I shall be following up. Thank you.
Sadly it seems that although clips are available, one needs to subscribe to get news bulletins etc.
Back to AJ.
Interesting stories about the Chinese and Uighur women. Too complex for the BBC?

Awol

LE
Agreed and my loss of trust is the same i.e. absolutely no critical thinking, or interrogation of a single narrative, presented as fact by the media.... On racism; ethnicity can see Hutu kill Tutsi, but wearing the wrong gang colours in another neighbourhood, can see you knifed to death. So the ideas of systemic racism is restricted to state racism and at the individual level its just hate and ignorance.

The underlying problem is modern racism is an extension of post-colonial guilt and some exploiting that guilt to get ahead and BLM is just a derivation of the ideas of mobutuism and the reinvention of colonial peoples as noble people in tune with nature and the colonial oppressors defined as something inhuman, rather than exploiting an already divided system and systemising it as happened in rwanda.
mobutuism

Now you’re just making words up. :)

Sadly it seems that although clips are available, one needs to subscribe to get news bulletins etc.
Back to AJ.
Interesting stories about the Chinese and Uighur women. Too complex for the BBC?
I just use it as an adjunct so to speak.
Some of the clips are very informative and well made about subjects that affect us all.
One of the promising signs is that Sky News Oz is openly taking the p*ss out of Sky News UK which is a delight.
I am on the verge of going over to Al-Jazeera for my mainstream news backed up by Sky News Oz and the impeccably informed ARRSE punditry of course.
This personal change for my news needs is well overdue because I just cannot watch the UK MSM anymore than I can abide Fox or similar stations.

I just use it as an adjunct so to speak.
Some of the clips are very informative and well made about subjects that affect us all.
One of the promising signs is that Sky News Oz is openly taking the p*ss out of Sky News UK which is a delight.
I am on the verge of going over to Al-Jazeera for my mainstream news backed up by Sky News Oz and the impeccably informed ARRSE punditry of course.
This personal change for my news needs is well overdue because I just cannot watch the UK MSM anymore than I can abide Fox or similar stations.
I hear from some Aussie colleagues at work though that Sky News Australia is not particularly mainstream. They are a fairly small fry in the news down there but may be gaining ground slowly.

I, with others, very peacefully protected my local war memorial a couple of weeks ago because there was a BLM protest 100 metres away, the Cenotaph had been vandalised by them a few days before and the local paper predicted the memorial was a target.

The price of this is that my 19 year old daughter has now disowned me, and what was already a very fragile relationship, thanks to her mother filling her head with lies, now appears to be irrevocably damaged.

I hope BLM burn in the fires of hell.
Your daughter will wise up in a few years when the reality of having to earn a living and pay the bills hits home.

…and in the current, overly simplistic media environment, if you can be ‘wrong’ over one thing then all of your thoughts and opinions can be readily dismissed. Therefore, if you can be branded a racist you can also be ‘proven’ to be wrong over what’s good for society. Ergo, as racism is wrong you are wrong and everything you believe in or hold dear must be changed.

It's very flawed thinking, of course, but in soundbite form it (apparently) carries the logic. It also falls in with the BBC's right-on agenda.
Ahh, the J O'B opening gambit on... well, everything.

Awol

LE
Your daughter will wise up in a few years when the reality of having to earn a living and pay the bills hits home.
I have no doubt about that, but in the meantime I seem to have committed an unspeakable crime in her eyes.

I did listen to one of the speakers in the BLM group.... it was a Hindu lady who said she felt so guilty in belonging to one of the higher castes that she couldn’t sleep at nights. The crowd responded with a round of applause and I was somewhat noticeable in that I was the only one who didn’t clap.

Irrespective of the subject, I just can’t understand why someone would be guilty of something they were born into.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no doubt about that, but in the meantime I seem to have committed an unspeakable crime in her eyes.

I did listen to one of the speakers in the BLM group.... it was a Hindu lady who said she felt so guilty in belonging to one of the higher castes that she couldn’t sleep at nights. The crowd responded with a round of applause and I was somewhat noticeable in that I was the only one who didn’t clap.

Irrespective of the subject, I just can’t understand why someone would be guilty of something they were born into.
Because confessing and casting off Original Sin makes them more worthy in the eyes of the mob they are leading?

What he said. Virtue signalling is a competitive sport these days.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

One of the numerous people who I binned on Facebook before coming off it entirely is a dyed-in-the-wool "All Tories are c*nts" Guardianista.

He put a post up on Facebook waxing lyrical about Labour and the working class, etc.

In chimes one of his mates... "You know me, working-class roots... sure, good job in IT, nice big house... which I feel really guilty for... because, you know, mate, I'm still working-class through and through."

It was hilarious. Mate, if you feel that guilty give all you have to charity and go back to living in a council estate shithole.

Except you won't, will you?

And nor will you realise that the 'real' working class would be happy to have your money and your house. Because it's nice, and it's a good standard of living, and there are no worries over bills or pensions.

It was weapons-grade gobshitery. The problem is, they believe themselves.

One of the numerous people who I binned on Facebook before coming off it entirely is a dyed-in-the-wool "All Tories are c*nts" Guardianista.

He put a post up on Facebook waxing lyrical about Labour and the working class, etc.

In chimes one of his mates... "You know me, working-class roots... sure, good job in IT, nice big house... which I feel really guilty for... because, you know, mate, I'm still working-class through and through."

It was hilarious. Mate, if you feel that guilty give all you have to charity and go back to living in a council estate shithole.

Except you won't, will you?

And nor will you realise that the 'real' working class would be happy to have your money and your house. Because it's nice, and it's a good standard of living, and there are no worries over bills or pensions.

It was weapons-grade gobshitery. The problem is, they believe themselves.
This reminds me of Brotherton Lad.
He tells us he is of good working class stock (tha knows) but behaves like a lower middle class supercilious know it all, a Petite Bourgeoisie bore (and boor).
The real middle and upper middle classes laugh at them behind their backs and they even have a name for them.
They are called 'Johnny Jump Ups'.
So called because in WW1 the unthinkable happened and they had to start commissioning grammar school boys and (even worse) NCOs who may have distinguished themselves.
They then became 'Temporary Officers & Gentlemen' who were binned at the first opportunity between 1918-1920.
Brotherton Lad is an archetypal 'Johnny Jump Up' and he knows it.

ETA : 'Petite'.

Last edited:
He tells us he is of good working class stock (tha knows) but behaves like a lower middle class supercilious know it all, a bourgeoisie bore (and boor).
The real middle and upper middle classes laugh at them behind their backs and they even have a name for them.
So called because in WW1 the unthinkable happened and they had to start commissioning grammar school boys and (even worse) NCOs who may have distinguished themselves.
They then became 'Temporary Officers & Gentlemen' who were binned at the first opportunity between 1918-1920.
Nice to see snobbery is alive & well in modern times :rolleyes:

Nice to see snobbery is alive & well in modern times :rolleyes:
It comes across quite strong as well.
I seem to have a nose for this type but I would do as I used to work for a rather good university and believe me there is nothing more obnoxious than a 'Johnny Jump Up' academic if you get their title wrong or do something horrid like calling them mister for instance.

He tells us he is of good working class stock (tha knows) but behaves like a lower middle class supercilious know it all, a bourgeoisie bore (and boor).

Harsh...

Presumably only available by giving money to Murdoch? Shame.
Strange stance to take: hate BBC, but won't watch channel which airs views you complain BBC refuse to

Cutting off nose to spite face. Sky News Australia is FTA, on website and on youtube

Latest Threads