BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Many of you may remember ITN news reader Alastair Stewart. I didn't realise that as a student he had lefty leanings but thankfully when he joined ITN he was given sound advice to leave any bias at the door, there being no place for it in broadcasting news. Here he discusses the Newsnight episode which crossed the line but also the wider broadcast media and a growing and disturbing tendency for partiality rather than presenting the facts.*

*Of course there are various ways of presenting "facts" and yet giving the viewer or listener a different spin on those facts. These can include removing or selectively editing context, whether verbal or with displaying potentially misleading imagery.

1590883770964.png

Emily Maitlis and the 'Foxification' of Britain's broadcast media | The Spectator

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If only Reggie Bosanquet was still around - the Keith Floyd of News
That was back in the day when people would rush home to get the TV warmed up for the 'news', which was always factual and opinions were something the viewer was entitled to, not had formed for them.

Many of you may remember ITN news reader Alastair Stewart. I didn't realise that as a student he had lefty leanings but thankfully when he joined ITN he was given sound advice to leave any bias at the door, there being no place for it in broadcasting news. Here he discusses the Newsnight episode which crossed the line but also the wider broadcast media and a growing and disturbing tendency for partiality rather than presenting the facts.*

*Of course there are various ways of presenting "facts" and yet giving the viewer or listener a different spin on those facts. These can include removing or selectively editing context, whether verbal or with displaying potentially misleading imagery.

View attachment 478077

Emily Maitlis and the 'Foxification' of Britain's broadcast media | The Spectator
Good as it stands, but Stewart's piece doesn't address the issue that she was speaking from the BBC's tower of integrity - not a commercial media outlet at all, but supposedly the impartial, neutral voice speaking to the nation. The tone of the rest of our now huge broadcasting city of small shops is another and broader subject.

If only Reggie Bosanquet was still around - the Keith Floyd of News
That was back in the day when people would rush home to get the TV warmed up for the 'news', which was always factual and opinions were something the viewer was entitled to, not had formed for them.
Andrew Neil said his mentor was Alastair Burnett, another ITN newsreader we respected.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Good as it stands, but Stewart's piece doesn't address the issue that she was speaking from the BBC's tower of integrity - not a commercial media outlet at all, but supposedly the impartial, neutral voice speaking to the nation. The tone of the rest of our now huge broadcasting city of small shops is another and broader subject.
It's not been stated (yet) who wrote the words Matlis parroted from the autocue - were they her own? or the combined might of the BBC 'we're-not-the-news-so-we-can-have-opinions-and-tell-you-what-they-are' department?
Personally, I thought Stewart was speaking about all broadcast media - but after he was done for drink driving whilst hosting 'police, camera achtung!' his credibility is no better than Blair.

I'm not sure that it was always impartial, but I think that the current problem is caused by those who had a similar experience at the time; but who grew up wanting people to rush home to watch them, rather than feeling a need to report fact.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure that it was always impartial, but I think that the current problem is caused by those who had a similar experience at the time; but who grew up wanting people to rush home to watch them, rather than feeling a need to report fact.
Of course it wasn't - but in comparison to today's 'opinions presented as fact', it certainly felt more neutral. Even 'Pebble Mill' had more integrity than the agenda-ists on all broadcasts channels we've suffered since probably the turn of the century.

1. The clue is in the name (that pesky first 'B').
2. If it has a global footprint, it hasn't nearly achieved impartiality. Where are the interviews with all the right-wing dictators?

(Not disagreeing with you, by the way...)
Well, your talking about the reality of something, rather than how the BBC sees itself.... When the mayor of London thinks that the nations capital is some kind of international city state, it also explains why the BBC has a similar internationalist flavour and is extremely upset when the peasant regions have the temerity to object to its version of impartiality.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Published by: he RADIO TIMES, on

Laura Kuenssberg quits BBC to join ITV News

Popular chief political correspondent will be ITV's new business editor.

Laura Kuenssberg, the BBC’s popular and highly rated political correspondent, is to leave the corporation in September and take up a new role as business editor for ITV News. She will also contribute to the current affairs strand Tonight.

Kuenssberg joined the BBC in 2000, but swiftly came to prominence during last year’s general election. Her ability to break stories – and then fluently ad lib to camera about them for minutes on end, without hesitation – made her one of the BBC’s most popular political reporters. Some had tipped her to become the BBC’s first female political editor.

At ITV, Kuenssberg will lead the channel’s analysis of the latest business stories, both in the UK and internationally – making her the equivalent of the BBC’s Robert Peston . . . .

Well at least we won't be funding her bigotry over there.

Published by: The RADIO TIMES, on

Laura Kuenssberg quits BBC to join ITV News

Popular chief political correspondent will be ITV's new business editor.

Laura Kuenssberg, the BBC’s popular and highly rated political correspondent, is to leave the corporation in September and take up a new role as business editor for ITV News. She will also contribute to the current affairs strand Tonight.

Kuenssberg joined the BBC in 2000, but swiftly came to prominence during last year’s general election. Her ability to break stories – and then fluently ad lib to camera about them for minutes on end, without hesitation – made her one of the BBC’s most popular political reporters. Some had tipped her to become the BBC’s first female political editor.

At ITV, Kuenssberg will lead the channel’s analysis of the latest business stories, both in the UK and internationally – making her the equivalent of the BBC’s Robert Peston . . . .

Hang on, hasn’t Peston made that jump already?
How would that make her ‘the equivalent of the BBC’s Robert Peston?
ETA: Peston went from BBC News to ITV News a couple of years’ ago.

Last edited:
Well at least we won't be funding her bigotry over there.
The Left will be happy then...

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg is targeted by far-Left

Laura Kuenssberg | The Canary

Hang on, hasn’t Peston made that jump already?
How would that make her ‘the equivalent of the BBC’s Robert Peston?
ETA: Peston went from BBC News to ITV News a couple of years’ ago.
I thought I was having a dizzy spell when I saw that.

TamH70

MIA
It's fake news, isn't it?

Purge the heretic!

You’re right. I’ve just checked her Wiki entry.
ETA: @RCT(V) , what in the name of wotsit prompted you to post a 9-year old announcement in this thread, today?
I looked for a date on the RT article, but found none :( . It only just appeared in my news feed, so presumed or was new. Sorrr-eee!

Latest Threads