BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
So far Maiithis has just hunkered down, like countless luvies who have messed up. Does anyone else remember Cathy Newman and the interview with Jordan Peterson ? To say she was owned doesn't do the interview justice. ( watch it if you have a spare 30 minutes) - the upshot of having all her beliefs destroyed was that she went to defcon 1 and told the world she was receiving hundreds of death threats. Yet the CPS and Police didn't claim even 1 scalp from the would be assassins

Lets see if hachet features sits very still in the corner or if she is no better than alastair campbell and demands attention , whether its the right or wrong kind.
See my previous post: Maitlis will be the victim.

Newman was straight in there with the "I'm frightened by the far-Right extremists" bovine scatology. As you say, the person being attacked was Peterson and yet he was being rather magnanimous in his Tweets relating to the same interview.

Maitlis has done that classic thing of the Left: put something out there which is highly contentious* and then expect to have it pass unchallenged.

The problem with existing in an echo chamber is that there simply isn't the ability to comprehend that someone thinks differently than you. I wonder at how many more times they have to do it before they finally, finally realise that the world isn't like that.

Cynically, though, I can't help wondering if this is just a way of prolonging the Cummings (non-)story. Realistically, it was dead at the weekend. Now, we have the "Oh poor Emily, she's getting castigated because of that nasty Cummings brute" angle.**

*She and her cohort have assumed that they speak for the majority, whether they in fact do so or not. That they don't is shown by the backlash that the BBC is facing on social media at the moment. Well, they've earned it with a naked two-fingered salute to impartiality.

**It's a possibility, however I don't think the Newsnight team is that clever/Machiavellian; I think they were just spouting their usual "We're always in the right" line.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Instead of one old Emily Maitlis on £260k, they could hire a few good looking younger women.
All they do is read out some lines. Hardly rocket science.
it's the faux outrage that makes the difference, you have to cultivate that over the years.

See my previous post: Maitlis will be the victim.

The problem with existing in an echo chamber is that there simply isn't the ability to comprehend that someone thinks differently than you. I wonder at how many more times they have to do it before they finally, finally realise that the world isn't like that.

Cynically, though, I can't help wondering if this is just a way of prolonging the Cummings (non-)story. Realistically, it was dead at the weekend. Now, we have the "Oh poor Emily, she's getting castigated because of that nasty Cummings brute" angle.**
Reference the echo chamber, as long as she sticks to the well trodden safe spaces of Notting Hill and Islington her ego will be sustained. I imagine deep down she along with her cohorts know they speak for tens of thousands and not the millions they are supposed to represent.

I dont see any prolonging, more a case of sticking fingers in ears, eyes closed and screaming lah lah in the hope that another victim will present themselves for the hounds. Either way Auntie has scored another huge own goal. The clock is still counting down to the day when they lose their unique position.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I imagine deep down she along with her cohorts know they speak for tens of thousands and not the millions they are supposed to represent.
I'm not so sure. I think they're trying to agitate and bring about change. Say something often enough and it becomes the truth.

We live in an Orwellian world. This was underlined to me at Christmas. SWMBO and I were invited to a friend's birthday party. We got chatting with a couple about the general election. Neither was especially any political leaning, conservative with a small 'c' covers it, but the woman was saying that when she looked at social media and the BBC she honestly felt like she was the only person in the world thinking as she does... this is the same BBC that social media would have you believe eviscerated Corbyn.
Auntie has scored another huge own goal. The clock is still counting down to the day when they lose their unique position.
Morally and professionally, the BBC lost that some time ago. Now we just have to sort out the entitlement complex associated with its funding.

Last edited:

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
I'm not so sure. I think they're trying to agitate and bring about change. Say soothing often enough and it becomes the truth.

We live in an Orwellian world. This was underlined to me at Christmas. SWMBO and I were invited to a friend's birthday party. We got chatting with a couple about the general election. Neither was especially any political leaning, conservative with a small 'c' covers it, but the woman was saying that when she looked at social media and the BBC she honestly felt like she was the only person in the world thinking as she does... this is the same BBC that social media would have you believe eviscerated Corbyn.

Morally and professionally, the BBC lost that some time ago. Now we just have to sort out the entitlement complex associated with its funding.
What kind of "change" do you think the BBC would like?
As privileged white people, a lot of these presenters are on thin ice with the "woke" brigade.
Just being a woman won't get them enough points.

I'm not so sure. I think they're trying to agitate and bring about change. Say soothing often enough and it becomes the truth.

Saying something often enough only works to those who are willing to believe the person saying it unreservedly. Likewise agitation only works for them if they are sure their position has enough support and will gain more traction as it continues.
The BBC along with the rest of the media and London got the mother of wake up calls in 2016. They are doubling down as they have painted themselves in to a corner.

Their funding review cannot come soon enough.

TamH70

MIA
To have that whole Woke agenda accepted as the mainstream. It’s a propaganda war.
It's more than that. It's a culture war. I gave a particularly egregious example of what I mean on the MSM leeches thread over that way -->>

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
Saying something often enough only works to those who are willing to believe the person saying it unreservedly. Likewise agitation only works for them if they are sure their position has enough support and will gain more traction as it continues.
The BBC along with the rest of the media and London got the mother of wake up calls in 2016. They are doubling down as they have painted themselves in to a corner.

Their funding review cannot come soon enough.
I'd be careful what you wish for.
At the moment, no one has to pay for a TV license.
If the government adds a BBC tax to utility bills, it will become impossible to avoid.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be careful what you wish for.
At the moment, no one has to pay for a TV license.
If the government adds a BBC tax to utility bills, it will become impossible to avoid.
The bold are one and the same.

If it loses the licence fee, it's got to compete commercially. It's won't. It'll sink because its Woke nonsense hasn't got the audience support.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
There's a difference between the general public and the electorate.
The electorate are mainly over 50 years old and more likely to vote Tory.

Wokeness doesn't exist via the government directly. It comes from the general public, in social acceptance and cultural ways, media etc. The government just reacts by changing laws (e.g. homosexual weddings).

It's not like a war, where the government decides and the public follow.

Latest Threads