BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

If that's true it contradicts their own guidelines.
Impartiality lies at the heart of public service and is the core of the BBC's commitment to its audiences. It applies to all our output and services - television, radio, online, and in our international services and commercial magazines. We must be inclusive, considering the broad perspective and ensuring the existence of a range of views is appropriately reflected.
BBC - Impartiality: Introduction - Editorial Guidelines
That's their editorial guidelines, you cant' take bias out of a person, the best you can do is mask it. On the whole I'd prefer they do it as they do, which is why they have to give that **** Farage air time.

Yep, that was my experience when working in UAE. Us Brits and our Italian colleagues were careful not to express an opinion, but all the other Arabs, both Emirati and from elsewhere hadn't a good word to say about them.
Didn't they try to overhrow the Jordanian Government when given refuge there? Guaranteed way to win friends and influence people!

Didn't they try to overhrow the Jordanian Government when given refuge there? Guaranteed way to win friends and influence people!
Hence Black September.

Do you really want anodyne replica broadcasters? Guerin isn't my cup of tea but she's a bit different . . .
Trouble is, Guerin has some form, going back at least to 2002, for what is perceived as anti-Israeli and anti-Semitic views.

In 2004, the Israeli Government felt constrained to write to the BBC accusing Guerin of "total identification with the goals and methods of the Palestinian terror groups".

BBC accused of bias against Israel

A touch excitable, maybe, but Israel probably has a valid point.

Then again, BBC have form also for filling ME posts with those that might be regarded as less than unbiased: remember Barbara Plett? Probably not, but she held the ME post prior to Guerin. During one programme, Plett reported that, as Arafat's body was being taken to hospital at the end of his terminal illness, she cried.

It was this hot-cheeked and tear stained reporting that hinted the BBC was less than impartial. Or at least, some of them were.

In 2015, Lord Grade felt obliged to criticise Guerin's 'inexcusable' bias which, he claimed, 'directly misled' viewers during a spate of knife attacks on Israelis:

Lord Grade accuses BBC of bias in coverage of stabbing attacks on Israelis

Do I want anodyne broadcasters? No-but I would happily settle for one or two that do not wear their social consciences so blatantly.

I would happily concede @bigeye point about the bravery involved in being in these locations. The example of Marie Colvin, and of others in Syria, shows that journalists and those with them are no longer out of bounds as far as govts/terrorists are concerned.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
My impression of Jeremy Bowen is that he is totally pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel. A bit like that other Jeremy.

I am getting increasingly annoyed at misleading BBC News article titles such as this one - 'My brother died in an immigration raid'
Not to mention the alt-tag shown above is completely different to the article title which is -
'Mustafa Dawood: Brother's questions after immigration raid death'

The title seems to imply that the immigration service were responsible for his death (they weren't, he fell through a factory roof fleeing immigration officers when the place he was working - a car wash - was raided).
He was working illegally there whilst waiting on his asylum claim to be processed.
BBC News seem to be putting up titles such as this with increasing regularity, which, if you just skim the news titles, seem to offer a completely different story to the facts contain within.

She's there because it's a story that needs to be covered - it's nothing to do with external influence from NGOs bigwigs... It has everything to do with following up on reports from the poor sods working for charities whilst being bombed by the Saudis.

I was there for the BBC 2 years ago - it was a scary place and in the end we had to do a bunk.
Guerin, her cameraman Tony, and her security bloke John are doing a great job in very difficult and dodgy conditions.
I'd never deny that it's a story that needs covering. There's lots of stories that need covering, it's the editorial decisions that dictate which are covered and how that are in question. Whilst she and the team out there produce the raw content, often in dangerous, hostile and traumatic circumstances for which they have my utmost admiration, it's how that content is edited and broadcast that again is often called into question. That's where accusations of bias emerge from.

Nothing in the report gave any context as to why the bombs were dropping, and isn't that the key role of journalism. Not the What, when, who and how, but the why?

Always remember "If it bleeds, it leads" works in all mediums. It's what the viewers want. They'll deny it of course.
Not always. Any half trained barrister will always ensure they key piece of evidence or doubt they want to sow in a jury's mind is always presented before a lunch recess or when the court rises. Even better if it's the last day of the court week. They want the jury to be thinking about it whilst they're out. As such, the piece from Yemen was pretty much the last piece of the news that day. Deliberately so in my opinion, designed to ensure viewers are thinking about it from the editors's POV.

I still maintain that the BBC news and current affairs is becoming increasingly driven by external agencies. Some credible, some not, but all with an agenda to promote. Whilst aid workers on the ground may report up the CoC as to what's happening, their senior grown ups will undoubtedly use this material to further their own causes (and justify their existence and remuneration packages). I acknowledge that some in depth current affairs programming may dig a little deeper and offer a balanced contextual approach, but the 3 minute clips that the majority of viewer see on the major news programs are nothing but a PR puff wrapped in a heart tugging, journalistic blanket.

Channel 4 going full on Frederick Forsyth against Aaron Banks. Guido has more details, but to take just one insulation in the report, there is no way that the handful of small arms mentioned comes anywhere near what you would need to launch a coup. I'm genuinely astonished at some of the stuff they are putting out.
Guido

Channel 4 going full on Frederick Forsyth against Aaron Banks. Guido has more details, but to take just one insulation in the report, there is no way that the handful of small arms mentioned comes anywhere near what you would need to launch a coup. I'm genuinely astonished at some of the stuff they are putting out.
Guido
We are in the midst of a full-blown anti-Brexit campaign by the government, establishment and media. There is no real quality control in terms of what the media will try to insinuate.

The BBC is still running a series of features about the impact of Brexit on individuals. There was a sob story today about a German lady who'd worked most of her life in the UK and then retired to Portugal. She was anxious about her rights post Brexit. Well, that is sad (seriously) but she is not British and she does not live here. The BBC will grab at anything they can use to harm Brexit.

Weird I couldn't find their story on Remain spending. Obviously being a balanced organisation they will at least investigate given the pretty damning dossier put together by Priti Patel....
Thank you for saying what I was thinking! Likewise no reporting on Remain's multiple campaigns to avoid spending restrictions - shurley an oversight?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The photos at the top of this article: Diane Abbott and Boris Johnson. One a flattering portrait taken, at a guess, 30 years ago, the other an unflattering contemporary photo. Why were these photos selected to headline this article?

Political trolls face ban from public office
Complain to the BBC about it - I just did. If nothing else, it'll give them something to do inventing a plausible excuse. :mrgreen: