ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bigeye, Jan 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My bold.. Knowing your normal stance on the EU, I'm not sure if you were being ironic with that point. Given that the beeb are regular recipients of its largess and of course as we all know, NO recipient of such funds are allowed to make any adverse comment on the EU on pain of instant reprisals, which in the case of staff would mean summary dismissal and with the beeb, halting of funding plus possible attempts to recoup funds already paid as they seem to be doing with the UK in their brexit demands!! ... BBC: EU grants – the £20 million sting
    snip "There was a brief frisson of excitement last week, with the Spectator blog telling us that the BBC had received about £3 million of EU funds between April 2011 and November 2013, most of which has been spent on unspecified "research and development" projects, with the remaining £1 million spent on programming.
    This was the fruits of an FOI request, but had the magazine consulted the EU's transparency website, it might have come up with an altogether more weighty sum - £20,152,022 (€24,435,906) to be precise. That is the sum dispersed to the BBC from EU funds between 2007-2012 inclusive.
    What is particularly interesting here, though, is that the EU reports paying the BBC £4,345,354.79 (€5,269,083) in 2012 alone, which is considerably more than the £3 million which the BBC claims it received in the 32 months which included the whole of 2012. There seems to be something of a mismatch, which needs explaining."

• Like Like x 3
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. Give your head a wobble ec!
    I was indeed being duplicitous!
    The BBC is a mainstay of the 5th column .

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. HQ & Support Coy?

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

Olivier as Othello. 1965. When **** were ****.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Personally, I feel that having Lenny bloody Henry on BBC once a year for Comic Ego Boost is far too often.

Can we just declare him an honourary honky, and replace him with a less irritating BAME RADA member?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Seems the Bias is not just limited to the TV. Despite each of the newspapers they use in their on-line review of todays papers having different leading subjects, the BBC in it's bias chooses to lead with an opinion by an unhinged ex Conservative minister who thinks Brexit would be better handled by the Europhile ex PM Tony Blair and the Labour Party :)

Newspaper headlines: May is 'hopeless and weak' - BBC News

Waded my way through their toturous complaints system to register my complaint and now sit back and wait for them to tell me I'm wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  7. If you're lucky they'll send you a list of hobbies you could take up instead of wasting everyone's time crying about the BBC reporting the Times' headline...

8. Shouldn't you be watching the city game?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Switched it off when the fourth went in.

10. Screen-Shot-2017-09-05-at-11.49.24.jpg

11. I don't know how long this has been in circulation (my PC is showing the dates in Thai), but if new this shows some blatant BBC bias.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Unsurprisingly below is their response. What surprised me in their response was that they unusually let slip that there was more than one complainant.

bbc_complaints_website@bbc.co.uk <bbc_complaints_website@bbc.co.uk>
    02:10 (6 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dear dun_n_dusted

Reference CAS-4558992-1Y8CRM

Thanks for contacting us.

We appreciate you feel BBC News’ reporting since the general election has been biased against the Conservative Party. We’ve discussed concerns about our reporting of this story with senior editorial staff at BBC News. To allow us to reply promptly, and to ensure we use our licence fee resources as efficiently as possible, we’re sending this response to everyone. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address most of the points raised.

BBC News has reported on and analysed the significance of the general election result, as well as subsequent events that have had a political impact, such as the start of the Brexit negotiations, the tragedy at Grenfell Tower and the attack at Finsbury Park.

Our coverage of all these stories has treated the Westminster parties and their leaders in exactly the same manner.

The BBC has not taken a position on any of these issues. Our reporting has featured statements from both the main party leaders, offered analysis of their performance and reaction to them, and reflected voices of both their supporters and opponents.

We will of course continue to report on political developments applying the same principle of impartiality, accuracy and balance that underpin the rest of our news coverage.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Kind regards

Tanya McKee

BBC Complaints Team

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. You mean the gravy train being halted at the station of proper accountability and quality output, like any other business?

Having luvvies like Botney being told they're having their services dispensed with because ratings are low and advertising revenue is falling would be one to behold

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Similar to the drop in foreign nurses being blamed on BREXIT without any evidence whatsoever. It transpired that it also coincided with the introduction of compulsory English language tests. The BBC added the latter point almost as a footnote

When my wife was doing her Midwifery course, the only foreign student was a Romanian. She struggled through the course as her grasp of the English language was apparently appalling. She failed being signed off into her second year and started some of the modules again. She eventually gave up and returned home as she continually failed essay's. Had the language test been introduced then, should would never have got on the course in the first place

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. That just about sums up News Watch with Samira Ahmed, on Saturday mornings.

They go through the effort to actually have a show where you can challenge news output, then blatantly ignore, dismiss or belittle anything you query. Blinding effort.

• Like Like x 3