BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

I got an interesting take on the BBC today. This week I will be mainly in the Netherlands.

At some legth, I was talking to a pretty sensible Dutch bloke, who has heard about Boris' campaign against auntie. He thinks this is a real shame. As far as people in Holland are concerned the BBC is a shining beacon of quality TV and informative news, compared to what the Dutch, Germans, Belgians and French produce. In his view it would be a real shame to hollow it out and turn it into a Netflix lite. They look up to us for the quality output we have produced over the years, in all areas of television, which is still shown in loads of countries.

It took me aback and has given me pause for thought. Maybe a little putting straight would be better than completely de-railing this once fine institution. Soft power comes in many forms and it seems this is one.
I agree. The BBC in its current form needs some serious re-org, not least a culling of overpaid presenters and so-called entertainers.
However, I believe in parts it is still a wonderful National asset and those shouting the loudest for the abolition of the Licence fee should be careful what they wish for.

Oyibo

LE
Snipped

It took me aback and has given me pause for thought. Maybe a little putting straight would be better than completely de-railing this once fine institution. Soft power comes in many forms and it seems this is one.
The BBC does some good work overseas. And it certainly helps 'soft power'.

That is not where the problems lie.

Last edited:
I agree. The BBC in its current form needs some serious re-org, not least a culling of overpaid presenters and so-called entertainers.
However, I believe in parts it could again be a wonderful National asset and those shouting the loudest for the abolition of the Licence fee should be careful what they wish for.
FOC

Published by: Barry George Chappell, on "I hate the BBC" Facebook, on Sunday 16 February 2020.

The BBC are also guilty of this. Changing historic characters on TV, which makes many shows unbelievable and unwatchable . . .

its not just the Biased Broadcasting Corporation that is re-writing history. Its fiction but the Harry Potter adaption that's on the stage in London has a black girl playing Hermione Granger

However, I believe in parts it is still a wonderful National asset and those shouting the loudest for the abolition of the Licence fee should be careful what they wish for.
Bin it

I got an interesting take on the BBC today. This week I will be mainly in the Netherlands.

At some legth, I was talking to a pretty sensible Dutch bloke, who has heard about Boris' campaign against auntie. He thinks this is a real shame. As far as people in Holland are concerned the BBC is a shining beacon of quality TV and informative news, compared to what the Dutch, Germans, Belgians and French produce. In his view it would be a real shame to hollow it out and turn it into a Netflix lite. They look up to us for the quality output we have produced over the years, in all areas of television, which is still shown in loads of countries.

Well they can pay for it

I agree, it will turn out like PAYD.
Yes, it does need chivvying up but not sure if paying for things will be the answer.
Rugby six nations, want to watch?? That'll be a fiver please. Last match of the season and it's a championship decider? A tenner please.
Wimbledon? 20 quid for the first week, 30 quid the second and another 50 for the finals.
Test Match? Either 50 quid for the full lot or put it on with adverts and have a couple of adverts between overs.
And that's just sports.
Dr Who? Probably pay its own way with the amount of countries that seem to buy it but a Netflix type contribution, please.
Blue Planet? Buy the box set. New episodes only if you pay for each series or if you are willing to have adverts every quarter of an hour.

Pretty sure it'll be missed when it's gone.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC does some good work overseas. And it certainly helps 'soft power'.

That is not where the problems lie.
Does it still, now it's cut the World Service to the bone and further?

Oyibo

LE
Does it still, now it's cut the World Service to the bone and further?
It still has some very good journalists and services in places that many in the UK would not be able to place on a map of the world.

I think the BBC does rather well in far flung parts of the world - I used to pick up BBC World Service in Afghanistan in the late 90's for enough time to get the headlines before the Taliban jamming music kicked in. They still provide some good news reports to some crappy countries and that is all to the good for the UK's soft power. They have some very good foreign correspondents with with dedicated local teams.

But some of the utter f**king dross billed as entertainment on the BBC in the UK is utterly shameful. 'Current affairs' programs are often blatantly biased. 'Talent' is not.

The Augean stables are in dire need of a cleanse

Most of the rest of the world seems to see quite clearly what an asset the BBC is to national and international broadcasting.

It's a huge shame that so many Brits don't realise the same. We'll be one hell of a lot poorer for its loss if it goes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Most of the rest of the world seems to see quite clearly what an asset the BBC is to national and international broadcasting.

It's a huge shame that so many Brits don't realise the same. We'll be one hell of a lot poorer for its loss if it goes.
Most of the world doesn't tune in to some of the trash we get. It is sad when the best BBC station is Dave, showing old BBC programmes. Mind you, that is going udders up with unfunny 'comedians' taking over the main viewing time.

Oyibo

LE
It still has some very good journalists and services in places that many in the UK would not be able to place on a map of the world.

I think the BBC does rather well in far flung parts of the world - I used to pick up BBC World Service in Afghanistan in the late 90's for enough time to get the headlines before the Taliban jamming music kicked in. They still provide some good news reports to some crappy countries and that is all to the good for the UK's soft power. They have some very good foreign correspondents with with dedicated local teams.

But some of the utter f**king dross billed as entertainment on the BBC in the UK is utterly shameful. 'Current affairs' programs are often blatantly biased. 'Talent' is not.

The Augean stables are in dire need of a cleanse
To expand on my last post (bad form to quote oneself, I know):

When I say 'very good journalists' I do not mean the people one sees on TV. I mean those in some very difficult parts of the world who get to know the dynamics and talk to the 'players'. You will rarely, if ever, see them on the gogglebox, but they are the ones in the dirt finding out what is happening - or at least trying to.

Compare and contrast with the likes of Kate Adie

Sadly though i think the BBC has past the tipping point of a "little putting straight" for many folk.

It has squander its rich history by allowing itself to be captured by many elements of the left, both from within and outside the organisation from top to bottom, add to that the attempt to appeal to the 'Youth' market, that has grown up on 'free' content.

Note: I know there is no such thing as free, but sadly many of the 'Youth' have not worked that out yet... They are not completely to blame for this though, as I believe they have in many cases been indoctrinated rather than educated, appallingly the BBC has had a hand in indoctrination rather than education.

While it may be considered better than some other European channels by those across the channel its a pretty low bar, and there media is also being chased and bettered by the alternate media in many cases. While the alternate media is not without criticism, over its funding, agenda or bias it is not funded by the state, through taxation or otherwise.

There is no perfect solution, but I believe the licence fee and public funding has run its course, for better or for worse.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly though i think the BBC has past the tipping point of a "little putting straight" for many folk.

It has squander its rich history by allowing itself to be captured by many elements of the left, both from within and outside the organisation from top to bottom, add to that the attempt to appeal to the 'Youth' market, that has grown up on 'free' content.

Note: I know there is no such thing as free, but sadly many of the 'Youth' have not worked that out yet... They are not completely to blame for this though, as I believe they have in many cases been indoctrinated rather than educated, appallingly the BBC has had a hand in indoctrination rather than education.

While it may be considered better than some other European channels by those across the channel its a pretty low bar, and there media is also being chased and bettered by the alternate media in many cases. While the alternate media is not without criticism, over its funding, agenda or bias it is not funded by the state, through taxation or otherwise.

There is no perfect solution, but I believe the licence fee and public funding has run its course, for better or for worse.
Sadly, I think that many of those lamenting the BBC’s current situation are also those most responsible for it.

As an overseas resident I tune in to the BBC in order to be informed about world, UK news and current affairs.
To be educated, informed and entertained.
Simple enough then.
Tonight on the England page there is an article "It took me 40 years to find I was intersex."
From fcuking Humberside too.
Is it really that much of a slow news day to add in something that is clearly not news?
Clear and obvious political agenda, a placed feature that I do not want to see but perhaps got the clickbait numbers up?
I would rather read the news about England and be informed and educated as to whether the house my old Mum lives in has been washed away in the last 2 plagues, pestilence and flooding after Brexit.
Is it really too much to ask?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As an overseas resident I tune in to the BBC in order to be informed about world, UK news and current affairs.
To be educated, informed and entertained.
Simple enough then.
Tonight on the England page there is an article "It took me 40 years to find I was intersex."
From fcuking Humberside too.
Is it really that much of a slow news day to add in something that is clearly not news?
Clear and obvious political agenda, a placed feature that I do not want to see but perhaps got the clickbait numbers up?
I would rather read the news about England and be informed and educated as to whether the house my old Mum lives in has been washed away in the last 2 plagues, pestilence and flooding after Brexit.
Is it really too much to ask?
That’s the problem. Someone has decided that that is news.

Wimbledon is a fortnight dedicated to idle bitches who should be cleaning and cooking.

And homosexuals.

BBC Sport lost the plot years ago.

I think other than the clearly past its sell by date licence fee the major issue BBC news faces is impartiality is even if the genuinely desired nigh on impossible now. Back when the news was 20 minutes of a half hour news/sport/weather slot twice a day you could go over every story ten times over and have a fighting chance of genuinely balanced output.

In 24/7 broadcasting where you have to fill every second live with something not treading on toes in sometimes obviously crass ways is impossible.

For everyone else, don't buy it/don't watch it then is the obvious riposte to the offended. With the license fee thats clearly not possible with the bbc.

Bin the licence fee, go subscription and make the back catalogue available for subscribers only on iPlayer (trying to watch old BBC shows online as a licence payer and being told 'this content is not available in your country' is one of my major bugbears). Either sell the radio stations or fund via adverts.

The BBC will survive, and may well thrive, but only if it starts to stand on its own two feet.

Awol

LE
That’s the problem. Someone has decided that that is news.
The media in general has decided that as millions of dim and simple folk in the UK are not educated enough to be as liberal as they are, and can't apparently be talked around, the only option is to bombard them 24 hours a day with images and stories thats show the wonders of a liberal utopia

The hope is that the dim and simple folk of the UK will start to believe that they are in a toxic minority and change their views and joyfully adopt the views of TV land.

Last edited:

Latest Threads