BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

But then there's the conceit, and the arrogance: if people are paying for something, then give them what they want. That's what happens in the high street - you go into a shop and you pay for something that's worth the money.

With the BBC, increasingly, people are being forced to pay for what they don't want, while being told that they should be happy to do so.

There's a sneering and continuing oblique reference to populism. Flip that over, there's a continuing assertion that the organisation is safeguarding quality. Neither of those points stand up in the full sense. Populism needn't mean an absence of quality. At the same time, too much of what we get is skewed or dross.

I agree with some of those in The BBC that if we go down the voluntary subscription route we run some big risks. I just happen to disagree with them as to what those risks are. The risk as far as they're concerned is the loss of their self-satisfied/satisfying existence. The risk as far as I'm concerned is the loss of a national broadcaster.
Im all for an impartial national broadcaster, but I'm not sure we're getting that. There's the "people should be told the truth as we see it" streak in there, and depending on who "we" is depends on what you see or hear. I don't want an agenda, I want a balance of facts. If that can't be provided, then I might as well go pay for any other station bar the BBC.

Thanks for that. It seemed a reasonably mature debate, except for Claire Enders ranting at times so Melanie Philips couldn't get a word in. If she made good points they were bound in to a fevered monologue. I suspect that there is no discussion to be had with that one.
She did do that often used tactic of blathering on & on because her viewpoint should never be held to scrutiny

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But then there's the conceit, and the arrogance: if people are paying for something, then give them what they want. That's what happens in the high street - you go into a shop and you pay for something that's worth the money.

With the BBC, increasingly, people are being forced to pay for what they don't want, while being told that they should be happy to do so.

There's a sneering and continuing oblique reference to populism. Flip that over, there's a continuing assertion that the organisation is safeguarding quality. Neither of those points stand up in the full sense. Populism needn't mean an absence of quality. At the same time, too much of what we get is skewed or dross.

I agree with some of those in The BBC that if we go down the voluntary subscription route we run some big risks. I just happen to disagree with them as to what those risks are. The risk as far as they're concerned is the loss of their self-satisfied/satisfying existence. The risk as far as I'm concerned is the loss of a national broadcaster.
Trouble is they are doing that to a great extent. That is why we have so much crap like EastEnders, cooking and game shows. All populist.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I had to visit a neighbour today at lunchtime and they had the BBC news on.
No mention was made of the criminal hooligans calling themselves XR but half the news was given up to various experts trying to decide what would happen to the coronavirus and a large part of the remainder was a cheap advertising debate, more a party political broadcast to try and decide who would be the next leader of the Labour party.
More confirmation of why I do not use BBC television or radio any more.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I had to visit a neighbour today at lunchtime and they had the BBC news on.
No mention was made of the criminal hooligans calling themselves XR but half the news was given up to various experts trying to decide what would happen to the coronavirus and a large part of the remainder was a cheap advertising debate, more a party political broadcast to try and decide who would be the next leader of the Labour party.
More confirmation of why I do not use BBC television or radio any more.
Good! Starve them of the publicity they so crave.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Good! Starve them of the publicity they so crave.
All very well pretending they're not there but it is nice to know which roads to avoid.

BBC news at one reporting on the Humberside Police Gestapoesque visit, following some bloke tweeting an opinion on transgender matters and consequently seeing the police having their heavy handed arses handed to them in court.
The reporters opening gambit declaring that some of the language in the tweets was “fairly crude”.
Tell you what, why don’t you stick to reporting the facts and let people decide for themselves on the subjective stuff:roll:

BBC news at one reporting on the Humberside Police Gestapoesque visit, following some bloke tweeting an opinion on transgender matters and consequently seeing the police having their heavy handed arses handed to them in court.
The reporters opening gambit declaring that some of the language in the tweets was “fairly crude”.
Tell you what, why don’t you stick to reporting the facts and let people decide for themselves on the subjective stuff:roll:
Exactly.
And when that corpulent cow Gracie was in the BBC 24 studio, and said Reporter finished his piece live, she said “controversial“.
Bet your bottom Euro the horrible hag would not have said that if trans-boy/girl/thing had won the case.

B t w, apparently these weirdos account for 0.01% of the population - has ever a less appropriate (and irrelevant) tail wagged a bigger dog.
Enough.
Enough, I say !

Exactly.
And when that corpulent cow Gracie was in the BBC 24 studio, and said Reporter finished his piece live, she said “controversial“.
Bet your bottom Euro the horrible hag would not have said that if trans-boy/girl/thing had won the case.

B t w, apparently these weirdos account for 0.01% of the population - has ever a less appropriate (and irrelevant) tail wagged a bigger dog.
Enough.
Enough, I say !
I saw that too. She could barely hold back her contempt for the bloke.
True colours shining through.
I can’t stand her anyway. She’s another one who sued the BBC over her earnings & still keeps a job there.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Interesting that the 'some bloke' is ex plod so I wonder how much of his previous job is involved in this? A couple of police deciding to repay some previous slight when he was in and coming stuck! Just a thought!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting that the 'some bloke' is ex plod so I wonder how much of his previous job is involved in this? A couple of police deciding to repay some previous slight when he was in and coming stuck! Just a thought!
To be honest, some of the most, er, 'conservative' people I know are coppers. Not because they're bigots, but because they see minorities (of any description) playing the angles and taking the piss in order to get away with stuff.

Some people need to ask themselves: are the police institutionally racist/whatever, or do some individuals' attitudes harden because of what they see.

Controversial, I know.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It pisses me off that the people who are tasked with dealing with reality are then judged the harshest.
And judged by their own - well at least their own in the past.

Just like a veteran's pov would never be judged by a regular soldier! ;)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads