BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Indeed - if you don't mind breaking the law.

The law requires that you have a licence if you watch/record live TV or use iPlayer on wired or mains-powered devices. Therefore the law compels you to tell TVL something, the outcome for not so-doing risks criminal prosecution.

For the time being... :D
Go on then Trig... Fred Blogs has no licence and genuinely only watches movies provided on demand by Netflix. He hasn’t bothered to mention it to TV Licensing (TVL) because he thinks they are a bunch of cnuts. What law has he broken exactly? There is no law that requires anybody to interact with TVL in any manner.

The law does not compel anybody to speak to, communicate with or otherwise interact with TVL, no matter how much TVL would like you to think it does and no matter how they word their website blurb, threatening letters or door step spiel.

TamH70

MIA
Go on then Trig... Fred Blogs has no licence and genuinely only watches movies provided on demand by Netflix. He hasn’t bothered to mention it to TV Licensing (TVL) because he thinks they are a bunch of cnuts. What law has he broken exactly? There is no law that requires anybody to interact with TVL in any manner.

The law does not compel anybody to speak to, communicate with or otherwise interact with TVL, no matter how much TVL would like you to think it does and no matter how they word their website blurb, threatening letters or door step spiel.
True dat. I bring this one out periodically. Not my work, but I think it's informative.

You do not have to let the TVL-employed Capita scrotes into your house, even if the telly is on full blast playing East Enders. And you can send them a letter pre-emptively telling them to **** right off and that if they want into your house to come mob-handed with police toting a warrant, plus associated ancillaries, otherwise their name's not down and they're not coming in. They don't even have the right then to approach your door.

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 12 21.59.gif

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 12 21.59.gif

True dat. I bring this one out periodically. Not my work, but I think it's informative.

You do not have to let the TVL-employed Capita scrotes into your house, even if the telly is on full blast playing East Enders. And you can send them a letter pre-emptively telling them to **** right off and that if they want into your house to come mob-handed with police toting a warrant, plus associated ancillaries, otherwise their name's not down and they're not coming in. They don't even have the right then to approach your door.
I particularly liked the archive footage.

"There's a TV set on at No.5, it's in the front room, and they're watching Columbo."

Interesting choice of programme too.

They just don't make propaganda like that anymore.
Hilarious.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems to be in a bit of a panic... reading the writing on the wall that hopefully says the BBC‘s days of being funded by taxation and flying in the face commercial competition are soon to be over...

BBC chairman warns over subscription fee
I don't want it behind a paywall - and I'm quite happy for it to be publicly funded, and to pay for it.

I just don't want it to be a propaganda machine for the Islington Party.

I particularly liked the archive footage.

"There's a TV set on at No.5, it's in the front room, and they're watching Columbo."

Interesting choice of programme too.

They just don't make propaganda like that anymore.
Hilarious.

[Capita bloke]: "Er, there is just one more thing, sir..."

I don't want it behind a paywall - and I'm quite happy for it to be publicly funded, and to pay for it.

I just don't want it to be a propaganda machine for the Islington Party.
It can be publically funded through voluntary subscription.
If people feel strongly for it, they can cough for it. I'm quite sure the cash flow will swamp them.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It can be publically funded through voluntary subscription.
If people feel strongly for it, they can cough for it. I'm quite sure the cash flow will swamp them.
But then there's the conceit, and the arrogance: if people are paying for something, then give them what they want. That's what happens in the high street - you go into a shop and you pay for something that's worth the money.

With the BBC, increasingly, people are being forced to pay for what they don't want, while being told that they should be happy to do so.

There's a sneering and continuing oblique reference to populism. Flip that over, there's a continuing assertion that the organisation is safeguarding quality. Neither of those points stand up in the full sense. Populism needn't mean an absence of quality. At the same time, too much of what we get is skewed or dross.

I agree with some of those in The BBC that if we go down the voluntary subscription route we run some big risks. I just happen to disagree with them as to what those risks are. The risk as far as they're concerned is the loss of their self-satisfied/satisfying existence. The risk as far as I'm concerned is the loss of a national broadcaster.

But then there's the conceit, and the arrogance: if people are paying for something, then give them what they want. That's what happens in the high street - you go into a shop and you pay for something that's worth the money.

With the BBC, increasingly, people are being forced to pay for what they don't want, while being told that they should be happy to do so.

There's a sneering and continuing oblique reference to populism. Flip that over, there's a continuing assertion that the organisation is safeguarding quality. Neither of those points stand up in the full sense. Populism needn't mean an absence of quality. At the same time, too much of what we get is skewed or dross.

I agree with some of those in The BBC that if we go down the voluntary subscription route we run some big risks. I just happen to disagree with them as to what those risks are. The risk as far as they're concerned is the loss of their self-satisfied/satisfying existence. The risk as far as I'm concerned is the loss of a national broadcaster.
The defence of the BBC is change nothing, except more inclusion and progressive policies and a self righteous attitude towards its critics.. I would suggest its no loss at all. However, I am willing to continue paying if it winds its neck for a minute, listens and reacts to those it claims to serve.

Latest Threads