BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems I am one of those who doesn't know who, or what, Gavin and Stacey actually are.

Please enlighten me someone.
Exult in your ignorance. Really.

It seems I am one of those who doesn't know who, or what, Gavin and Stacey actually are.

Please enlighten me someone.
Suffice to say, it was the career launch pad for that unfunny, smug, utter tosser known as James Corden. It’s just a shame it didn’t launch him into Deep Space.

You don’t need to tell TV Licensing anything at all if you don’t want to.

Any mail they send is junk mail and if they visit, simply (but politely because you are better than them) tell them to get off of your property and shut your door - make no other comment.

Remember folks... it is their job to prove you are in breach of the law. It is not your job to prove that you aren‘t. It is not your job either to incriminate yourself or otherwise help them to do their job.
I wouldn't bother telling them or conversing on the doorstep.

Even if you tell them you don't watch live TV, after a certain time they take the view that perhaps you have moved out and someone else moved in, or you may now have started watching again.

Throw the letters in the bin, don't give them the time of day at the door.

NSP

LE
You don’t need to tell TV Licensing anything at all if you don’t want to.
Indeed - if you don't mind breaking the law.

The law requires that you have a licence if you watch/record live TV or use iPlayer on wired or mains-powered devices. Therefore the law compels you to tell TVL something, the outcome for not so-doing risks criminal prosecution.

For the time being... :D

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Suffice to say, it was the career launch pad for that unfunny, smug, utter tosser known as James Corden. It’s just a shame it didn’t launch him into Deep Space.
And it was actually the lady writer who did the funny bits. Ruth Jones. Much under-rated and ignored, but a far funnier person than James Corden.

NSP

LE
I wouldn't bother telling them or conversing on the doorstep.

Even if you tell them you don't watch live TV, after a certain time they take the view that perhaps you have moved out and someone else moved in, or you may now have started watching again.

Throw the letters in the bin, don't give them the time of day at the door.
They'll only take being ignored for so long before rocking up with a warrant and possibly a constable if they think there'll be argy-bargy, though.

There's a PDF link on the TVL website for the BBCs policy where warrants and the like are referred to.

NSP

LE
And it was actually the lady writer who did the funny bits. Ruth Jones. Much under-rated and ignored, but a far funnier person than James Corden.
He should be Cordenned off.

NSP

LE
I'm sure there's an actual thread purely about TV licensing in which all the arguments about who does or does not need one and what a rip-off it is have all been comprehensively and repeatedly thrashed out, before we end up reinventing the wheel on this thread.

They'll only take being ignored for so long before rocking up with a warrant and possibly a constable if they think there'll be argy-bargy, though.

There's a PDF link on the TVL website for the BBCs policy where warrants and the like are referred to.
Warrants can only be issued if they have reasonable grounds to think an offence is being committed.

The idea is they try to get you talking and once talking you may drop yourself in it which may then lead to you incriminating yourself.

You don't have to answer to Capita, you are doing nothing wrong so why bother at all?

Close the door. If they won't leave, call the police on them for harassment. They have no rights, they are a private company.

Here's their standard letters.

Search Warrants are very rare. About 150 a year compared to the 180,000 people prosecuted for watching live TV.

Sneaky bastards, Crapita. They use quasi-police phraseology to scare people as well.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear! I don't even know who that is.

Latest Threads