BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

MrMemory

War Hero
Chris Buckler, the U.S. Correspondent of The BBC, is another one to keep an eye on. He went from reporting cattle rusting in rural N.I. to reporting from Washington, a feat he achieved (in my opinion) by being more anti-Trump than the odious Laura Bicker. A man so vain that he struggled with contact lenses for a time, rather then WEAR HIS SODDING GLASSES.

Buckler's a crafty wee bastard, and I have this from a friend who worked at BBC NI until fairly recently. FAKE NEWS in the Dictionary has his photo beside it, I reckon.

ETA: just remembered he went to Bangor (NI) Grammar. We at Carrickfergus Grammar First XI kicked them up and down the pitch, (I wasn't involved by that stage). 4-0 rings a bell. I had previously been Carrick Grammar's goalkeeper.

Bangor:

untitled.png

Last edited:
Chris Buckler, the U.S. Correspondent of The BBC, is another one to keep an eye on. He went from reporting cattle rusting in rural N.I. to reporting from Washington, a feat he achieved (in my opinion) by being more anti-Trump than the odious Laura Bicker. A man so vain that he struggled with contact lenses for a time, rather then WEAR HIS SODDING GLASSES.

Buckler's a crafty wee bastard, and I have this from a friend who worked at BBC NI until fairly recently. FAKE NEWS in the Dictionary has his photo beside it, I reckon.

ETA: just remembered he went to Bangor (NI) Grammar. We at Carrickfergus Grammar First XI kicked them up and down the pitch, (I wasn't involved by that stage). 4-0 rings a bell. I had previously been Carrick Grammar's goalkeeper.

Bangor:

View attachment 445857

I was unfamiliar with him,Google gave me this.Seems geography is not his strong point either!
What Chris Buckler said was:
What is worrying the White House and why Donald Trump is aware that Joe Biden could be a really significant competitor for him, is that he does appeal to some of those places in the midwest, in the likes of Pennsylvania for instance when Joe Biden was launching his campaign today.
The midwest

Pennsylvania

One of the discussion points about the BBC is the issue of whether, as it attracts complaints about bias from left and right, it is in fact not biased.
In recent days, the Guardian has begun to campaign for the BBC. I think that might settle the matter of bias - the Guardian sees the BBC as a kindred spirit:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Are Al Shabaab affiliated with XR now or something?
Well one wants the whole world to regress to the Middle Ages, and the other is a terrorist organisation.

One of the discussion points about the BBC is the issue of whether, as it attracts complaints about bias from left and right, it is in fact not biased.
In recent days, the Guardian has begun to campaign for the BBC. I think that might settle the matter of bias - the Guardian sees the BBC as a kindred spirit:

The Guardian need to get their own house in order before white knighting anyone else.

The Guardian were never all that hot for Corbyn, either. Its a newspaper who supports the evolving progressive liberal view of the world and was disgusted with JC and his coterie, for refusing to ally with the progressive movement in parliament, who were trying to stop brexit.. Sky the other day used a comment about migration, that "WE all agree", when discussing a point about government policy.

My point is almost all the media are ahead of the BBC, because the beeb can't come out entirely into the open and is weighed down with at least going through the motions of neutrality. Those defending it tell you much about where the BBC fits within the political centre and that centre likely as not barely has more than 15-20% of the populace in absolute agreement with all the centrist theory of everything (more inclusion, more diversity, more money for public services).

You sure about that?
Some comments above refer to openly biased reporters and their opinions being presented as 'news'
I said in an earlier post, its very hard to pin a charge on the organisation as a whole. What we both believe is bias, is routinely argued away as a reporters opinion and any complaints are pigeon holed into, "that is your opinion", both opinions are valid, as the events are usually disputable. So they're wriggle off the charge (at least in their minds).....

ericferret

War Hero
I said in an earlier post, its very hard to pin a charge on the organisation as a whole. What we both believe is bias, is routinely argued away as a reporters opinion and any complaints are pigeon holed into, "that is your opinion", both opinions are valid, as the events are usually disputable. So they're wriggle off the charge (at least in their minds).....
I don't really care what the BBC says, I just object to paying for it.

The public are not as thick as the BBC thinks, their efforts yielded little at the referendum or the last election and actually gave a lot of us a good laugh.
Biased? Of course not.

Last edited:

The public are not as thick as the BBC thinks, their efforts yielded little at the referendum or the last election and actually gave a lot of us a good laugh.#
Biased? of course not.
Boom! This. Very much this. Well said.

The public are not as thick as the BBC thinks, their efforts yielded little at the referendum or the last election and actually gave a lot of us a good laugh.
Biased? Of course not.
I have no real axe to grind with the BBC, if it was paid out of direct taxation.. It would thus generally reflect the government of the days outlook and that doesn't seem entirely unfair. Because at least governments change.....

I think the crux is its levied directly and we who pay for it, have absolutely no real redress (as complainents quickly find out).. The only legal alternative, is to ditch the receiver and follow graculus odd reasoning and strongly suggesting, he watches it without a licence, else why does he complain about its critics.

I am open minded and if we are in a minority, I would settle for the BBC Complaints moved into a public body, with oversight from a parliamentary body with power to seriously fine the BBC, where bias has occurred for each instance of complaint (making them less comfortable and more observant).

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I am open minded and if we are in a minority, I would settle for the BBC Complaints moved into a public body, with oversight from a parliamentary body with power to seriously fine the BBC, where bias has occurred for each instance of complaint (making them less comfortable and more observant).
Who would be paying these serious fines ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The BBC, thanks to your subs..... I merely offered an alternative to binning the thing outright, or doing absolutely nothing, which is what many voices suggest.
The BBC wouldn't be losing anything, a personal fine for the responsible producer would have far more chance of effecting change.

Hardly my subs, I've never paid them.

The BBC wouldn't be losing anything, a personal fine for the responsible producer would have far more chance of effecting change.

Hardly my subs, I've never paid them.
The BBC either reforms or dies, its largely up to them which it will be..... You can't have a taxation, without representation, at the very least somewhere in the complaints area should be separated and hold a hostile attitude, not cosy and native in its handling of complaints.

Latest Threads