BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

My, my, my . . .

Guess someone did wake up and smell the coffee . . .
1. Update on Tony Hall's new post (Tweet from Andrew Neil)
2. Info on potential candidates for Hall's replacement (from Guido):

1579562307417.png

2. BBC DIRECTOR GENERAL RUNNERS AND RIDERS

This morning’s abrupt announcement that Tony Hall is to step down as Director-General of the BBC has sent succession speculation into overdrive. As ever, Guido brings you the runners and riders for the perhaps appropriately communist-sounding job title…

• Charlotte Moore
    Currently the Beeb’s Director of Content, and a former Controller of BBC One, Moore has been with the corporation for fourteen years. A safe choice, with the added bonus that the gender-pay-embattled BBC would be able to boast about hiring a woman. Of course, Guido would prefer conscientious objector to the BBC’s TV tax Charles Moore…
  • Tim Davie
    Advantage of having done the role before, for five months immediately preceding Tony Hall’s tenure. Would make a fitting bookend…
  • Jay Hunt
    Aussie-born Jay abandoned the BBC to become Chief Creative Officer of Channel 4 in 2011, quickly taking Matt Frei and Michael Crick with her. Channel 4 pedigree might not be the best way to win the trust of this Government with Charter renewal being a big part of the brief…
  • Carolyn McCall
    Serial businesswoman and Chief Executive of ITV since 2018, it must be tempting to step up from the third channel to the first. Although she hasn’t long in post before a move…
  • Alex Mahon
    Chief Executive of Channel 4 since 2017, when she became the first female CEO of a major UK broadcaster. The Beeb will be tempted to tick the female box, however, might be wary of hyper-left wing hires…
  • James Purnell
    Went from appearing on Newsnight seamlessly to being the BBC’s Director of Strategy and Digital. If a former Labour cabinet minister can get the job, surely other partisan people should be considered too…
  • Robbie Gibb
    If James Purnell can go from government to the BBC, why can’t the former editor of Newsnight go from government to the private sector, back to the BBC?
Guido will be surprised if it is not a woman…

BBC Director General Runners and Riders - Guido Fawkes

Offa

War Hero
From the Highlands of Scotland to Rural Wales, the Glorious South West, Lakes or any other of the Shires, any BBC drama (or ITV for that matter) will show the diversity of London in these places, miles from the capital. Not a realistic picture at all, at least not in this neck of the woods.

From the Highlands of Scotland to Rural Wales, the Glorious South West, Lakes or any other of the Shires, any BBC drama (or ITV for that matter) will show the diversity of London in these places, miles from the capital. Not a realistic picture at all, at least not in this neck of the woods.
Funny how they manage to do that.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
If anyone wants my farts they can pay for em. Especially if I've got to put that bloody costume on every time.
How are they to be collected, and delivered? The unicorn fart logistics are staggering, and what sort of diet will I have to go on, there is no way one (pretend) unicorn is going to be able to produce enough, although this morning would prove otherwise.
No shartrep though.

We are going to need regional teams of flatulent mythical creatures on a shift system.

Can scientists create a synthetic unicorn fart? Obviously it should be vegan. Mine are clearly not.

BBC bias no.5032: Watching newsnight last night and of the six talking heads, only one was even slightly of the opinion, that reform is needed.. The panel concluded that the BBC do a marvellous job and implied that it had a remit to educate the plebs and already gives balanced viewpoints, but agreed, it needed to do more for diversity.

Watching the bubble in action you can see why the BBC is what it is.. If they're don't include fractious voices in its cosy discussions, why does it act shocked when people have such a hostile opinion of it.

BBC bias no.5032: Watching newsnight last night and of the six talking heads, only one was even slightly of the opinion, that reform is needed.. The panel concluded that the BBC do a marvellous job and implied that it had a remit to educate the plebs and already gives balanced viewpoints, but agreed, it needed to do more for diversity.

Watching the bubble in action you can see why the BBC is what it is.. If they're don't include fractious voices in its cosy discussions, why does it act shocked when people have such a hostile opinion of it.
I actually laffed out loud when he said the BBC needs to embrace diversity. He has obviously never seen Doctor Who, World on Fire, War Of The Worlds etc...

This. Grade, Dimbleby et al, plus the fragrant Emily - all baffled as to why anyone should consider change of course.

This. Grade, Dimbleby et al, plus the fragrant Emily - all baffled as to why anyone should consider change of course.
The BBC is a publically funded broadcaster and as such its remit is to work for all and judge nobody. A simple example, is the christian cake seller in NI.... Two groups; one religious and one secular and the BBC tone and reportage, was very much in the camp of not upsetting people, which is fine.. But it also made it plain, which side it felt deserved an apology and whose feelings it felt were more upset.

The panels last night all had 'opinions' about what people should be told, 'opinions' on how the money is spent, how much the leadership should be free of public oversight and which groups deserve airtime and which are not part of the modern secular mainstream it has an 'opinion'.

When you drill down, the BBC is biased and last nights show reflected that confirmatory nature.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC is a publically funded broadcaster and as such its remit is to work for all and judge nobody.
It has long since left that behind. It spends most of its time judging the majority and working very hard at refusing to criticise the minority view.

There's often very good reason why something is the majority view, and vice versa.

It has long since left that behind. It spends most of its time judging the majority and working very hard at refusing to criticise the minority view.

There's often very good reason why something is the majority view, and vice versa.
Judging; they're would see it as educating and look, we have a report from a university, charity, foreign government, uk government or quango to front a campaign, were supposedly not in support off.... True it doesn't peddle its own fake news, but its happy for others to espouce opinions and weakly peer reviewed reports as absolutes.

Did you see the report on happiness last night. If we follow a diet of mindfulness and veganism, then all will be well. Why is that mainstream news ? the only logical conclusion, is the BBC and those within support the idea enough to allow its promotion on a platform we paid for.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Judging; they're would see it as educating and look, we have a report from a university, charity, foreign government, uk government or quango to front a campaign, were supposedly not in support off.... True it doesn't peddle its own fake news, but its happy for others to espouce opinions and weakly peer reviewed reports as absolutes.

Did you see the report on happiness last night. If we follow a diet of mindfulness and veganism, then all will be well. Why is that mainstream news ? the only logical conclusion, is the BBC and those within support the idea enough to allow its promotion on a platform we paid for.
I'm very much for reporting the new, unusual and potentially ground-breaking.

The paradox is that whilst also espousing the 'new', for example veganism, we also live in a society where to judge is beyond the pale.

To pick but one example:

We can't 'fat-shame', for instance; we can't tell the truth about such as obesity.

A female friend of mine said to me that she sat through some drivel on Women's Hour last week where an 'outsize' (fat) female was gobbing on about how thin people are jealous of her body shape and happiness. It was all abutter and her beauty.

Huge amount of cognitive dissonance going on there. No, I'm not jealous. At all. But were I to say anything to the contrary I'd be criticising and indicative of all that is bad in the world.

More and more, we are being forced to 'celebrate' the different (and, in some cases, quite damaged). It's tedious. And, hey, in the case of obesity it's costly.

If someone's happy in their body, fine. Why the hell does that need air time, though? And why is looking after yourself 'elitist' or 'shaming'?

We've stepped through the looking glass.

A female friend of mine said to me that she sat through some drivel on Women's Hour last week where an 'outsize' (fat) female was gobbing on about how thin people are jealous of her body shape and happiness. It was all abutter and her beauty.
I suspect the reality was the silly woman was over compensating for her failure to control her weight.
Either that or delusional.
35 years ago I used to listen to Womans Hour in BAOR if a radio was present because it was interesting (know your enemy), the few times I have bothered lately it has been gibberish, as was that attempt at only female news comedy slot, 'Where's the f in News'.

I'm very much for reporting the new, unusual and potentially ground-breaking.

The paradox is that whilst also espousing the 'new', for example veganism, we also live in a society where to judge is beyond the pale.

To pick but one example:

We can't 'fat-shame', for instance; we can't tell the truth about such as obesity.

Huge amount of cognitive dissonance going on there. No, I'm not jealous. At all. But were I to say anything to the contrary I'd be criticising and indicative of all that is bad in the world.

More and more, we are being forced to 'celebrate' the different (and, in some cases, quite damaged). It's tedious. And, hey, in the case of obesity it's costly.

If someone's happy in their body, fine. Why the hell does that need air time, though? And why is looking after yourself 'elitist' or 'shaming'?

We've stepped through the looking glass.
Obesity affects the NHS and the environment, two of the BBC's favourite topics but they are presumably trumped by social justice. Oh dear, how will they resolve that dilema?

Latest Threads