BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Great*. More regional accents. "A man has been arrested for selling droogs in poobs in Loondon and Soosix. Meanwhile, more flooooding…"

Make it stop. And dump those morons Fiona McDonald and Neil Nunes: they can't speak (or in McDonald's case, read) English.
Back to all presenters talking in "BBC English" ? Wearing dinner jackets and black tie or ball gowns depending on gender/inclination?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The photo in the article shows the BBC's main offices in Salford. The majority of the day to day running of the channels happens here. BBC News and current affairs are based in London at New Broadcasting House but have large offices in Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and the south somewhere.

Tony Hall as DG, has an office and a board-room in NBH but is based all over the shop.

AFAIK BBC productions such as Dr Who and that other thing with the animal daemons etc, work out of studios in Wales. Eastenders is recorded in Boreham Wood. The Natural History Unit is in Bristol. BBC Sport is based in Salford.

Conclusion: The majority of BBC business is conducted outside London already. This is the reason you didn't see anything on a BBC website.
While I thank you for your informative post, the last para does not make sense. Why does the fact that the BBC have a lot of their business conducted outside London mean that the BBC should not report stories about themselves which other media sources like the Financial Times* are reporting?

*The reason I used the source I did in my link is because the FT is behind a paywall.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah yes, proper standards. And make people with regional accents squeeze their vowels into something approaching Home Counties English.
I don't mind the regional accents, it is after all quite natural. The accents I do detest and actually turn off from are the two women foreign reporters Orla Guerin (Irish) and Lyse Doucet (Canuk I think). Their voices really annoy me greatly!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Well, is this just a case of the BBC continuing a policy of making the BBC more diverse across the UK or in other words less London centric or did the events of 12 Dec 19 force their hands?

I did not find a report about this on the BBC website but in other media sources. I note it is careful not to say they are moving two thirds of London jobs out but just adjusting the numbers.
Um, for many years the BBC did very well at being regionally diverse whilst being headquartered in London.

It's not about where the organisation is based. It's about the mindset of the people running it.

The shift to Manchester has done nothing to address the increasingly closed mindset of the people at the top, and therefore the organisation and its output.

To my mind there's very good reason for the organisation to continue to be headquartered in the capital, close to the seat of government. So, to claim that getting out of London is going to change things for the better is crap, frankly.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Um, for many years the BBC did very well at being regionally diverse whilst being headquartered in London.

It's not about where the organisation is based. It's about the mindset of the people running it.

The shift to Manchester has done nothing to address the increasingly closed mindset of the people at the top, and therefore the organisation and its output.

To my mind there's very good reason for the organisation to continue to be headquartered in the capital, close to the seat of government. So, to claim that getting out of London is going to change things for the better is crap, frankly.
While the BBC continues to consider Eastenders as quality programming nothing is going to change!

There was a weegie presenter on a science prog on R 4 talking about a NASA programme started under president Boooosh, to explore Mars with rowboats.
I thought momentarily they had found water there.

Actually, she's not bad. Fronts the Newswatch programme, but aside from the usual pushing of the party line on BBC infallibility she conducts interviews well.
Spouts against her employers then when the Head of "Insert Dept here" comes on and basically says the BBC are right and the plebs are all wrong, she agrees and nods sagely.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

What exactly is wrong about the national broadcaster being based in the nation's capital? If the country is being run from London, what is the rationale in basing much of the Current Affairs broadcasting in Salford? Purely gesture management as far as I can see...

Regional diversity used to be a non-issue, as there was strong regional representation (Nationwide etc). The present level of regional broadcasting seems to be similarly high to me.

Obviously. Your point being?
The point I keep on making, you have your own bias at work. All of the complaints I've seen from left, right and centre have been because the presenter/program in question hasn't reflected the complainants bias. Obviously the left and centre complaints are from elsewhere.

It's a good example of social media echo chamber amplification. Anyone on here complained about AFNs grilling of Jezza?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What exactly is wrong about the national broadcaster being based in the nation's capital? If the country is being run from London, what is the rationale in basing much of the Current Affairs broadcasting in Salford? Purely gesture management as far as I can see...

Regional diversity used to be a non-issue, as there was strong regional representation (Nationwide etc). The present level of regional broadcasting seems to be similarly high to me.
When you consider that the government itself, i.e. Boris/Dom , want to move many government posts out of London then other 'national' groups should consider doing so as well, n'est-ce pas?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Precisely.
But going about it the wrong way.

I can understand regional accents for regional programming - and reports coming from the regions being given by a regional presenter.

What I understand less - in all respects - is regional accents being forced into national programming. Having a Mancunian or a Wearsider (I'm one myself) or whomever being brought into the national stuff purely to satisfy diversity ambitions makes no sense.

It doesn't add to the life of someone in Bristol to hear a Geordie accent, and vice versa. They're only going to stare at the screen wondering what the hell has just been said.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't mind the regional accents, it is after all quite natural. The accents I do detest and actually turn off from are the two women foreign reporters Orla Guerin (Irish) and Lyse Doucet (Canuk I think). Their voices really annoy me greatly!
Ah, we remember the late, great Political Correspondent, John Cole.

Lyse Doucet comes from a remote area of Canada whose ancestors are a right mix of French, Irish and native Americans and others.

There's another reporter out in Australia at the moment who has a similar accent.

Yes, but he got there on ability. What we have now is tokenism - people being more likely to be selected/promoted to suit a demographic. That's not right. It certainly isn't 'fair'.
A mates father worked with him back in the day on a newspaper (in Eniskillen, I think?). Said that Cole was probably the smartest person he'd ever met.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
A mates father worked with him back in the day on a newspaper (in Eniskillen, I think?). Said that Cole was probably the smartest person he'd ever met.
His autobiography is well worth a read.

Latest Threads