BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Not necessarily. You can strip out all the ridiculous social engineering stuff - the stuff which means that you have to have someone of a similar ethnicity report on events from certain places, etc.

It’s the skewing of current affairs that gets me most.
I think there are two issues
  • news and current affairs which is riddled with metropolitan 'we know best' luvvies
  • social engineering in dramas, which manifested itself recently in war of the words and that utter b0ll0cks they produced about WW2 and it is that unmemorable and shite, I cant even remember what it was called

I think there are two issues
  • news and current affairs which is riddled with metropolitan 'we know best' luvvies
  • social engineering in dramas, which manifested itself recently in war of the words and that utter b0ll0cks they produced about WW2 and it is that unmemorable and shite, I cant even remember what it was called
The thing is despite moving North to Salford, the BBC is still very Londoncentric, it is as if the rest of the UK does not exist apart from being a foot note.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The thing is despite moving North to Salford, the BBC is still very Londoncentric, it is as if the rest of the UK does not exist apart from being a foot note.
Recruitment was looked at after the Andrew Gilligan affair and it was noted then that the BBC recruited pretty much exclusively through the media section of The Guardian. It was said at the time that that needed to change. I suspect it hasn't - not to a degree which makes any real difference.

My suspicion is based on nothing more than the thrust of much of the programming and the messages which underpin it.

The thing is, I don't want my entertainment - park current affairs for a moment - to be constantly full of what's deemed right by a self-selecting and very self-regarding clique. I just want to be entertained.

At the same time, much of the programming is just so puerile. We've got two episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys programmed for the Christmas period? I can hardly wait. Meanwhile, Strictly has now been running for 15 years...

Last edited:
Recruitment was looked fat after the Andrew Gilligan affair and it was noted then that the BBC recruited pretty much exclusively through the media section of The Guardian. It was said at the time that that needed to change. I suspect it hasn't - not to a degree which makes any real difference.

My suspicion is based on nothing more than the thrust of much of the programming and the messages which underpin it.

The thing is, I don't want my entertainment - park current affairs for a moment - to be constantly full of what's deemed right by a self-selecting and very self-regarding clique. I just want to be entertained.

At the same time, much of the programming is just so puerile. We've got two episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys programmed for the Christmas period? I can hardly wait. Meanwhile, Strictly has now been running for 15 years...
That's not a typo is it?

1576227829534.png

Recruitment was looked at after the Andrew Gilligan affair and it was noted then that the BBC recruited pretty much exclusively through the media section of The Guardian. It was said at the time that that needed to change. I suspect it hasn't - not to a degree which makes any real difference.

A Christmas Strictly no less, with previous 'celebs' that is filmed this week and has no public input. Meaningless regurgitated rubbish. (But I secretly watch and in the hope that one day I'll get to finger all the female professionals, especially the tidy welsh one)

The problem is, you can tell how the presenters feel - Huw Edwards and Robert Preston looked depressed and upset last evening. There's meant to be impartiality and you have Ch4 creating fake, anti-Tory, 'news'; Jon Snow being hyper pro-EU; personal agendas being pushed and all without consequence.
After last night, it looks as if London / the MSM live on another planet. They are very out of touch and luckily, that 'out of touch-ness' has made them royally fcuk up this time. I am sure, fwiw, it was being in a Westminster / media bubble that made Swinson agree to back calls for a GE (which forced Corbyn's hand), and to say 'Revoke A50' without understanding that it would be popular only with the London - elites.
Thank you Mrs Swinson. Cheers BBC and C4.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The problem is, you can tell how the presenters feel - Huw Edwards and Robert Preston looked depressed and upset last evening. There's meant to be impartiality and you have Ch4 creating fake, anti-Tory, 'news'; Jon Snow being hyper pro-EU; personal agendas being pushed and all without consequence.
After last night, it looks as if London / the MSM live on another planet. They are very out of touch and luckily, that 'out of touch-ness' has made them royally fcuk up this time. I am sure, fwiw, it was being in a Westminster / media bubble that made Swinson agree to back calls for a GE (which forced Corbyn's hand), and to say 'Revoke A50' without understanding that it would be popular only with the London - elites.
Thank you Mrs Swinson. Cheers BBC and C4.
C4 was hilarious last night. It was like watching a bunch of people who'd been disembowelled.

The Daily Mash is being vicious this morning:

Jonathan Pie was already in full flow last week:

Saw Andrew Marr make some comments this morning with the cameras on the podium waiting for Boris to appear, and the slogan 'The People's Government' behind the lectern.
And to paraphrase, he was saying what a strange phrase that was to use...
'almost French in style, some might even say Russian...', and that was followed by saying that if you didn't vote Conservative, then in the eyes of the Conservatives 'that must make you an enemy of the people'.

He does seem to be getting far more blatant with his views at the expense of any professionalism. The contemptible little sh*t needs to be put out to grass.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Saw Andrew Marr make some comments this morning with the cameras on the podium waiting for Boris to appear, and the slogan 'The People's Government' behind the lectern.
'almost French in style, some might even say Russian...', and that was followed by saying that if you didn't vote Conservative, then in the eyes of the Conservatives 'that must make you an enemy of the people'.

He does seem to be getting far more blatant with his views at the expense of any professionalism. The contemptible little sh*t needs to be put out to grass.
Or another stroke!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

And there's the point: one always the impression that he and others are just about holding themselves in check, rather than being impartial.

'Enemy of the people' isn't the kind of phraseology I'd associate with the Conservatives. Labour, on the other hand...

Last edited:
Speaking of which, I didn't watch Sky last night, which is a bit of a shame as I'd love to have seen Bercow's face as the exit poll came in. Delusions of importance will hopefully disappear sharpish - along with invitations to offer his views anywhere.

It would be nice to think we'll not be hearing from him again.

Speaking of which, I didn't watch Sky last night, which is a bit of a shame as I'd love to have seen Bercow's face as the exit poll came in. Delusions of importance will hopefully disappear sharpish - along with invitations to offer his views anywhere.

There's always Celebrity Big Brother, and other such shiite.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
This is how it's being reported in our largest trading partner over the short bit of water (rather than the Pond)

Großbritannien-Wahl: Der Brexit kommt

[ Suddeutsche Zeitung - The paper, often abbreviated SZ, is read throughout Germany by 1.1 million readers daily and boasts a relatively high circulation abroad. The editorial stance of the newspaper is liberal and generally of centre-left,[2][3] leading some to joke that the SZ is the only opposition in the state of Bavaria, which has been governed by the conservative Christian Social Union of Bavaria almost continuously since 1949. In the 2013 elections the paper was among the supporters of the SPD.[14] ]

Brexit is coming. There can be no doubt after this election. Boris Johnson has won such a clear victory that he now has a free hand in leading Britain out of the European Union. That was Johnson's promise in the election campaign. With his slogan "Get Brexit done" he has brought the mood in the country to the point.

The majority of the British were tired of the miserable argument and longed for an end to the drama.

The three and a half years after the Brexit referendum paralyzed and split the country. Whether this ends with Johnson's election victory, however, is anything but certain.

The prime minister must now show what his Brexit mantra means and what policy he derives from it.

He will have to give answers to all those questions he has avoided in the election campaign.

Johnson has to explain how he envisages the future relationship with the EU and where he locates Britain's place in the world.

He will also have to show what he means by his " One Nation Conservatism", which should appeal to hedge fund managers in the City of London as much as to the working class in Stoke-on-Trent

Tories erringen absolute Mehrheit

Jeremy Corbyn = " der Oppozitionfuhrer " - love dat :-D

For those with some Franglais:

Boris Johnson triomphe, le Labour s'effondre et le Brexit est presque là

Lors des élections générales, le parti conservateur a enregistré son meilleur résultat depuis 1987 et Margaret Thatcher alors que le Labour de Jeremy Corbyn a plongé dans les abysses.

Last edited:

I did watch sky news, it was THAT, or BBC world news( not much else in the hotel)

Sky was actually quicker showing the results, And when Bercow came on I changed to the beeb

Marr looked as though he had swallowed a truck load of lemons. Brightened my day.

And speaking of contemptible little sh1ts - again - how is that exemplar of balance and proportion Owen Jones taking the news. Seems awful quiet, but then I don't do tw@tter......

Latest Threads