BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

mrdude

War Hero
People should just stop watching it and paying the licence....if enough people did this, the BBC would soon change their ways and stop wasting money.

I've never had a TV licence in my life and will never ever pay for one - ever!

Everyone who watches the BBC should read this (sorry if mentioned earlier in the thread)

untitled.png

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
People should just stop watching it and paying the licence....if enough people did this, the BBC would soon change their ways and stop wasting money.
Fine sentiment - and one with which I agree in many ways.

However, if we all stopped paying then the BBC would cease to exist and a national broadcaster is a precious thing.

It's just that the one we have needs to be un-hijacked.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I've never had a TV licence in my life and will never ever pay for one - ever!
You still live with your Mum, don't you? :flower:

mrdude

War Hero
You still live with your Mum, don't you? :flower:
I left home at 16 and rented a house out at that age, then moved to London (by myself) when I was 17. I then joined the Army when I was 19 - and bought my own house when I was 23.......so no, I left home quite a long time ago.

mrdude

War Hero
Fine sentiment - and one with which I agree in many ways.

However, if we all stopped paying then the BBC would cease to exist and a national broadcaster is a precious thing.

It's just that the one we have needs to be un-hijacked.
No it's not, if it can't survive on it's own merits - as every other station does, it should go the way of the Dodo! If people wish to watch it - they can subscribe, other people shouldn't need to subsidise you or any other viewers viewing choices. Would you be happy if I made you pay for me to watch Netflix? No I don't think you would - it's the same thing making people that don't watch the BBC, pay for it.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
No it's not, if it can't survive on it's own merits - as every other station does, it should go the way of the Dodo! If people wish to watch it - they can subscribe, other people shouldn't need to subsidise you or any other viewers viewing choices. Would you be happy if I made you pay for me to watch Netflix? No I don't think you would - it's the same thing making people that don't watch the BBC, pay for it.
Bit pissed, but I’ll have a go at responding.

A national broadcaster should serve as an arbiter of taste, among the nasty commercial stuff.

Unfortunately, ours has been hijacked by ‘liberalism’.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Bit pissed, but I’ll have a go at responding.

A national broadcaster should serve as an arbiter of taste, among the nasty commercial stuff.

Unfortunately, ours has been hijacked by ‘liberalism’.
And has relentlessly chased ratings with a reduction in quality programming. For every Blue Planet, there's a Strickly and a Stenders and a Time for Tea.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He also wrote "Can We Trust the BBC ?" (2007) "Can We Still Trust the BBC ?" (2013) and an interesting though DM article entitled, "What is the loneliest job in Britain ? Being a Tory at the BBC."

Do you think he has an axe to grind ?
Fair question and my answer would be "Maybe". While still at the BBC, he put together a dossier of his concerns and took it to the Top Brass, and every one of the governors. What he had not expected – as a BBC executive and flagship Today programme reporter - was to be ignored completely. They could hardly accuse one of their finest journalists of a lack of accuracy. So instead of analysing the message, they pensioned off the messenger - or, as Robin puts it, “just told me to f*** off, which I did”.

And has relentlessly chased ratings with a reduction in quality programming. For every Blue Planet, there's a Strickly and a Stenders and a Time for Tea.
Nothing wrong with Strictly (fit half-naked birds cavorting around, etc) :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Fair question and my answer would be "Maybe". While still at the BBC, he put together a dossier of his concerns and took it to the Top Brass, and every one of the governors. What he had not expected – as a BBC executive and flagship Today programme reporter - was to be ignored completely. They could hardly accuse one of their finest journalists of a lack of accuracy. So instead of analysing the message, they pensioned off the messenger - or, as Robin puts it, “just told me to f*** off, which I did”.
The question wasn't serious, nobody on the planet is under any illusion that the BBC has a political agenda to push to the masses.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how much one values freedom,) their Head Shed don't understand the difference between uneducated and unintelligent.

Latest Threads