ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bigeye, Jan 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You forgot Onanite.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Well...the radio 4 news at midday today had a single comment about the Dutch election: Angela Merkel expressed her pleasure at the result, and was pleased that progressive social democracy had triumphed over Populism.

Now I can see a few things out of place there. The Dutch really don't care what Merkel thinks, in fact I would go so far as to say they despise her. The British radio 4 listening public don't care what Merkel thinks about someone else's sovereign nation. The Germans stopped running Dutch affairs in 1945. Merkel is not the Doyenne of European opinion or the keeper of European morals and ideals.

Last night there was a professor of politics on Newsnight (clearly an objective thinker) explaining the three ways 'we can combat Populism', because, as any right thinking person knows, framing and carrying out policies the electorate actually want is a very bad thing and has to be 'combatted'.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The politicians are scared, scared of 'populism'.

They are voted in by the very people who want these popular ideas put into place but have the arrogance of the modern political animals to know better than the lesser beings who vote them in.

They are left then arguing against popular ideals which have been put forward or supported by the very people they are trying to woo. A bit of a Catch-22 situation. Don't you really feel so sorry for the poor politicians! :pig:

4. I've checked and sadly it appears I don't...

Sympathy 1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Maybe you need to get your Sympmeter down to the LAD to be recalibrated! :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

No, look where it was made.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I couldn't afford a decent REME calibrated one so got a cheap US import...mea culpa

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Be interesting to watch how the BBC report the Westminster incident now it's on home turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Mental illness.

10. Diane Abbott on Newsnight tonight - "I was on lock down today for 5 hours" got me thinking!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. There are the usual supply of moon howlers being wheeled out by the BBC News channel over the past couple of days, but one obvious exception is Frank Gardner, who has just been on to give his views of 'Adrian'.
    Articulate, intelligent and with his own experience of the horrors of terrorism.
    The more I see of him, the more impressed I am. Top man.

12. An interesting site is here : Media Bias/Fact Checking Which looks at the bias of a huge number of news sources around the world. You'll find the BBC parked in the Left-Centre Bias section. Sorry if this has been put up before.

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Amen to that. I've lost count of the number of times I've ranted at BBC morning news. I don't care if Sally, Carol and Steph are 'bezzy buddies' or whatever. Keep it until you're off air you annoying people and concentrate on the news - most of us are far too grumpy at that time of day! :smile:
    The worst culprit was Naga Munchetti (sp?) - thankfully she appears to have been culled as she has not been seen on the sofa for some time, although I noticed she popped up on Newsnight the other evening, resulting in a swift channel change!

• Like Like x 1
  14. TBH it's all turning into an adult version of blue peter. The one show- blue peter on a sofa, breakfast - blue peter in the morning, countryfile - blue peter in a field

• Like Like x 4