BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

The BBC still pretend to be impartial,at least Ch4 have the integrity to be honest about their bias.
If you or I had to be balanced in something, then we would try our best. But its instinctive that we have preferences, bias and such, which will act out in the sub-conscious. If you hired a studio full of Igbos in Nigeria, they may say nice things about the Ogoni or northern tribes, but who amongst them can detect bias in the subtext and edit it to reflect real balance.

People get annoyed at the BBC because it does not seem to have any real checks and balances. Particularly in its fictional output its all written by the same types of person and its current affairs is again through the lense of a narrowly minded group think.

BBC Brekkie News this morning. An article about scientists telling us we eat too much red meat and dairy products, then in the next breath a scary fear story about a possible cull of 47k cows due to Brexit. Surely that should be seen as a win/win?

Wightsparker

War Hero
BBC Brekkie News this morning. An article about scientists telling us we eat too much red meat and dairy products, then in the next breath a scary fear story about a possible cull of 47k cows due to Brexit. Surely that should be seen as a win/win?
I saw that too. The first bit was banging the "climate change" drum, the second was blowing the Brexit trumpet. You could almost claim the BBC was being balanced!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw that too. The first bit was banging the "climate change" drum, the second was blowing the Brexit trumpet. You could almost claim the BBC was being balanced!
Truth is, we DO need to address diet - and more of us need to eat more vegetarian meals. At the same time, you’ve got half the developing world determining to put meat on the table more than once a week.

Next the BBC will have to balance reporting on poorer people’s dietary aspirations versus its own tofu tendencies.

I expect it will implode like one of the end scenes from the utterly dire thing that Doctor Who has become.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I am trying to think of some euro food that I can't live without whatever the price. So far I have come up with nothing.
Bratwurst und Frikadelle von Lidl und Aldi, naturlich!

Truth is, we DO need to address diet - and more of us need to eat more vegetarian meals. At the same time, you’ve got half the developing world determining to put meat on the table more than once a week.

Next the BBC will have to balance reporting on poorer people’s dietary aspirations versus its own tofu tendencies.

I expect it will implode like one of the end scenes from the utterly dire thing that Doctor Who has become.
I would be curious to see what the hotel or conference centre was providing to the scientists when chillaxing of an evening or the BBC café serves up and how popular the veggie dishes are... Similarly the starlets who promote vegetarianism spend most of a day lounging about, between exercise periods (bit like the RAF). If they worked in a physical job, they may find said diet is inappropriate and leave them low on energy.

Dr Who is a classic example of fictional programming which has morphed from telling stories to one more akin to the bible and parables of the modern time i.e. they are pieces of propaganda.

Capture.PNG 2.PNG

How do you turn the handle and use the toilet paper at the same time?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I would be curious to see what the hotel or conference centre was providing to the scientists when chillaxing of an evening or the BBC café serves up and how popular the veggie dishes are... Similarly the starlets who promote vegetarianism spend most of a day lounging about, between exercise periods (bit like the RAF). If they worked in a physical job, they may find said diet is inappropriate and leave them low on energy.

Dr Who is a classic example of fictional programming which has morphed from telling stories to one more akin to the bible and parables of the modern time i.e. they are pieces of propaganda.
Aye.

That would be Prof Jim al-Khalili OBE FRS, a physicist, he is usually an excellent presenter, unlikely to have been selected for skin colour alone, though given the subject matter he could well have been sold a pup with this job.

Try his Life Scientific on Radio 4 where he gets leading scientists to talk about their lives and what influenced their choice of a career in science, he manages to tease all sorts of fascinating details from his subjects.

So not this guy then .. Omid Djalili - Wikipedia

1565271922282.png

Who can be amusing at times.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC news at six going big time on the . 02% fall in growth. Talking the economy down big time.
So are ITV. 0.2% is a disaster apparently.

Christ on a bike!!!

True, but there was talk of the Chancellor 'hiding his panic', the chance of a recession ('possible'), etc. If you only believed what the BBC said, you would see that feature and be concerned about the economy.
The only thing I see wrong there is the bit about "hiding his panic", not news and pure speculation,

Any Chancellor that panics over such a small drop in the economy, particularly when it is due to events before he was appointed and about which he could have done nothing, doesn't deserve to be in the job and Javid does.

Economies go up and down, for another example look at the beloved EU region of Germany.

I received a reply concerning the article on travelling/holidaying in the EU. I have highlighted the part that explains why they couldn't mention holidaying outside the EU. it was a time constraint. IMO utter bollox.

Thank you for contacting us regarding BBC One’s ‘Breakfast’ which was broadcast on 7 August.

I understand you were unhappy that the item on travelling to EU countries in the event of a no-deal scenario did not mention that the situation will “probably be much the same as booking holidays and/or travel to countries outside the EU” and note your view that we should not be “concentrating on the pure negatives.”

Our Rome correspondent James Reynolds reported from the Amalfi coast in Italy on the potential impact of a no-deal Brexit on UK citizens travelling to the EU. James spoke with a number of British tourists who voiced their concerns about issues such as queuing and mobile phone roaming charges.

Whilst I appreciate you would have liked the report to compare this possible scenario with what UK travellers face at present when visiting non-EU nations, it is not always possible or practical to reflect all the various aspects of a subject within the space of an individual report. Editors are charged to ensure that over a reasonable period they reflect the range of significant opinions and trends on any issue.

In terms of our wider reporting on Brexit, the BBC does not have an opinion on the European Union or on the United Kingdom’s relationship with it. In the period since the referendum in June 2016, we have tried to explore and explain the often complex factors which affect our audience and we have provided representatives from across the political spectrum with the opportunity to air their views.

We do not aim to denigrate any view or to promote any agenda on this issue. Our goal is simply to provide our audience with enough information in order that they can draw their own conclusions.

Nevertheless, I would like to assure you that we value your feedback. All complaints are sent to senior management every morning and we included your points in our overnight reports. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future output.

Latest Threads