BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

Watching the almost wall-to-wall coverage on the Manchester bombing over the last few days, I've noticed the BBC almost tying themselves in knots trying to avoid mentioning the bomber's religion. It's almost as if they want to give the impression that the bombing was carried out by an a group of anarchists with an undefined grudge. The BBC are almost the only organisation to still believe that multiculturalism is working and that we all live in a nice integrated little world.
Would it help?

Watching the almost wall-to-wall coverage on the Manchester bombing over the last few days, I've noticed the BBC almost tying themselves in knots trying to avoid mentioning the bomber's religion. It's almost as if they want to give the impression that the bombing was carried out by an a group of anarchists with an undefined grudge. The BBC are almost the only organisation to still believe that multiculturalism is working and that we all live in a nice integrated little world.
Strange, because listening to Radio Five all week they've had numerous discussions about Islamic terrorism, radicalisation etc...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I caught the tail end of the BBC weekly critique* of their performance in Newswatch and apparently a viewer(s?) complained that the Tories had been given all the coverage and labour and other parties had been sidelined.

May have something to do with the fact that the PM and Home Secretary are the people responsible to the country and it is quite correct for them to be responding.

Anyway, I believe that other parties had plenty of coverage, if they wanted it. The claim could equally be put that certain leaders hid as they did not want to face awkward questions!

* critique to the BBC means something they do and if you don't like it tough titty.

Listened most of the morning (~0815 - 1230). Missed some of the news broadcasts but in the ones I caught I heard stories about the FA/Scottish Cup finals, Wayne Rooney's future and the Premier League managers who've left their jobs this week. Nothing about women's football.

There was a story about Johana Conte's French Open draw, just after one about Andrew Murray.

Where was this barrage of reporting about women's sport?
Absolutely, apart from Prem football I see very little else on the sports bulletins, very little cricket, male or female, and next to no motorsport other than F1/Hamilton. Even during the off season the sports news is dominated by football. But then I have zero intrest in football so maybe it just grates!

Why does the BBC (and channel 4) have the same "random" person at every crisis and discussion?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA6WWr9WAAAIS-d.jpg
Why on earth would the BBC use the Muslim Chaplin at Manchester Univerity, Mohammad Ullah, in any interviews eh? Don't they accredit him in the interviews? So he's hardly random is he?

Didn't take long to find out who he is did it?

Edit to add link and correct typo

Last edited:
Why on earth would the BBC use the Muslim Chaplin at Manchester Univerity, Mohammad Ullah, in any interviews eh? Don't they accredit him in the interviews? So he's hardly random is he?

Didn't take long to find out who he is did it?

Edit to add link and correct typo

So not exactly a man in the street is he

When the BBC trailed the debate at lunchtime they stated that the audience had been picked by an independant company to represent all political views.Maybe their view of all views is any opinion is alright as long as you hate the Tories and stand slightly to the left of Stalin

They went to great lengths to tell us that the audience had been arranged by a polling company. Time will tell who/why/how.

That said, left wing haters are keen and willing to whoop, holler and applaud. They then use social media to stir the pot, getting more attention.

However, recent elections/referenda suggest to me that more of the thoughtful people quietly listen to all the arguments, and are in the majority out in the country.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ask a right winger and the BBC are yogurt weaving lentin sandal wearing pinko commies, ask a left winger and it's UKIP TV.
Cherrish it while it lasts 20yrs, from now TV will be something your Dad watched and the only news will be off the internet and complete unabashed unregulated opinion.
"I disagree Your Excellency" ( wot, never played Civ II?)

In my last 'proper' job,I had a lot to do with print,TV,radio and web based news outlets.For the last thirty years, half savvy pundits have been predicting the death of paper based journalism.

Don't take my word for it - go mad and buy a newspaper. Or a book.

The same goes for the Interweb-only generation.....and my son is one of them.

Whilst @Wordsmith and everyone else in journalism will agree that newspapers both local and national are in terminal decline,they'll be around awhile yet.

Just out of interest Llech, were you born before or after 1987?

Back on thread,this recent exchange on BBC's Radio 4 was quite notable:

Transcript:
Emma Barnett: Let me understand then: how much would it cost to provide un-means tested childcare for 1.3 million children.

Jeremy Corbyn: It would cost…um, it would obviously cost a lot to do so, we accept that

Barnett: I presume you have the figures?

Corbyn: Yes, I do. It does cost a lot to do. The point I’m trying to make is that we’re making it universal so that we are in a position to make sure that every child gets it. And those that can, um, at the moment can get free places will continue to get them and those that have to pay won’t, and we will collect the money through taxation, mainly through corporate taxation.

Barnett: So how much will it cost?

Corbyn: I’ll give you the figure in a moment.

Barnett: You don’t know it?

Corbyn: Um…

Barnett: You’re logging into your iPad here. You’ve announced a major policy and you don’t know how much it will cost.
Corbyn: Can I give you the exact figure in a moment please.

Barnett
: Is this not exactly the issue with people and the Labour party which came up under Gordon Brown that we can’t trust you with our money?

Corbyn: Not at all.

Barnett: But you don’t know the figure.

Corbyn: All of our manifesto is fully costed and examined.

Barnett: You’re holding your manifesto, you’re flicking through it, you’ve got an iPad there, you’ve had a phone call while we’re in here and you don’t know how much it’s going to cost?

Corbyn: Can we come back to that in a moment?

:lol: :clown:

Read more at: Jeremy Corbyn on Woman's Hour: A Transcript

Last edited:
Just out of interest Llech, were you born before or after 1987?
t
Before, however look around you and you won't find many kids watching Telly, their faces are in a screen most of their waking hours but not watching live television (unless you can stream it on a tablet or iphone).
Telly is for the xbox. Viewing figures are pretty meaningless aswell (unless they take streaming into account) even then it's skewed as most "telly" I watch will be streamed through GoMovies (free/pirate) etc. That's only 'cos I potter about the house doing cleaning and such with wireless headphones.
BBC is doomed (as it stands) but then again ALL t.v. is.

I did put this one up before, in January but the title of this thread is about obvious BBC bias.
The founding principles of that nice Mr Reith all those years ago were simply to inform, educate and entertain.
That was completely fine, and saw us through a World War and several economic depressions and crises, until 2005 when it was all by changed the government of the day, and all of a sudden there were 5 criteria.
It may as well have been written by Alistair Campbell and Mandy.
Stimulate creativity and cultural excellence appeared along with other newspeak phrases like citizenship and civil society, whatever that may mean.
This article from that squalid little rag the Grauniad sets out the stall as dictated from a certain desirable north London postcode.
BBC's founding principles 'no longer enough'

You really couldn't make it up.

The ‘impartial’ and ‘balanced’ audience at the political debate seemed oddly partial and very left leaning, but then I am biased.
The BBC is very definitely supposed to have no bias, and very definitely constantly demonstrates that it has.
'Paid up Corbynistas' Nigel Farage urges BBC to SACK chiefs for 'biased' debate audience
Two right leaning parties and five left leaning parties. It's no surprise a balanced audience (by party affiliation) isn't balanced.