BBC bias in question (which way do they lean?)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, apparently there were angry scenes in the political news room... and it certainly seems like a bad call by the trust. However, in light of the many various accusations of BBC pro-Labour bias, this report gives a slightly different view.

BBC Trust says Laura Kuenssberg report on Corbyn was inaccurate
There isn't necessarily a contradiction between being pro-Labour and wanting to stick it to Corbyn, in fact, in the view of many in the PLP, quite the opposite.

Well, apparently there were angry scenes in the political news room... and it certainly seems like a bad call by the trust. However, in light of the many various accusations of BBC pro-Labour bias, this report gives a slightly different view.

BBC Trust says Laura Kuenssberg report on Corbyn was inaccurate
I think you'll find the 'many accusations' of BBC bias on here and elsewhere are more to do with its obvious pro EU position rather than any obvious bias against Labour. In any case, Labour and Corbyn have almost reached the status of an abandoned puppy. I (almost) feel sorry for them, but whereas I'd certainly help the puppy, there is no such feeling for the PLP.

Attacking Jeremy Corbyn? How much more pro- Labour can you get?
(edited to add: damn! beaten to it...)

Trouble is with some presenters/editors/reporters they do at times think they are megastars. Kuenssberg is a classic example and presents the news in a fashion that is almost haughty and dismissive of any impartiality. :cool:

Trouble is with some presenters/editors/reporters they do at times think they are megastars. Kuenssberg is a classic example and presents the news in a fashion that is almost haughty and dismissive of any impartiality. :cool:
Peston being another classic example. They don't get it - we want to hear the news, it's NOT about you lot!

They would not deny bias in their recent Crimewatch in Lawrence case. They did not deny that their Lawrence killing re-enactment was not consistent with the evidence given at 2012 trial. They claimed the main thrust of the programme was "New evidence" of off licence CCTV footage and a bag strap. They would not deny that this also was not true. The facts being in February 2016 Head of Organised Crime CPS wrote to Scotland Yard and National Crime Agency to express concerns about failures to disclose Det sgt Davidson's 1995 disciplinary to defences at the 1996 and the 2012 trials. It was after these concerns about failure to disclose that Met found two more examples of what had been kept quiet. The CCTV footage and the strap which are clearly not "New evidence". BBC mitigated that they did what police asked.

Strange! I put that in my original post then took it out as the thread was about the BBC. But, yes, Peston is another who thinks he's the dogs. :cool:
He qualifies - formative years at the Beeb!

Left-Center Bias

"These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation."

Not necessarily pro Labour obviously.

They would not deny bias in their recent exposé of the hike in the price of tinfoil wibble hatstand Banana brrrap ptang ptang olé biscuit barrel.
You buffoon.

Ask a right winger and the BBC are yogurt weaving lentin sandal wearing pinko commies, ask a left winger and it's UKIP TV.
Cherrish it while it lasts 20yrs, from now TV will be something your Dad watched and the only news will be off the internet and complete unabashed unregulated opinion.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Reports in Glasgow media departments show that the followers of parties ALL THINK THAT THEY ARE HARD DONE BY . FORGETTING THAT THE TORIES OWN THE RESTA OF THE NEWS MEDIA. Ms kunsberg did give Jeremy are hard time. But isn't that her job???

The BBC, as has already been said has a leftist liberal bias. The political start point of any coverage is to the left so any counterpoint intended to bring fairness on any issue only succeeds in decreasing the bias a little rather than achieving balance at the centre.

The BBC is broadly centrist. You appear to forget that the viewpoint if this site is broadly right wing. From your point of view the BBC appears to be a set of lentil knitting sandal wearers.

From my point of view the BBC coverage is largely Blairite (so still slightly right of centre, though not far enough for you lot :) ) and most definitely anti Corbyn. Most open eyed (rather than one eyed) assessments of media coverage in the country confirms that.

Kuennsberg has been embarrassing in her desperation to connect Corbyn or anything vaguely left of centre with diatribe and this has been coming. Nick Robinson, former chair of Young Conservatives, was a far more even handed reporter.

The thing is, if the lefties think they're right wing and the wrong people think they're lefties then they can't be too far wrong, but id agree that, institutionally, they probably are somewhere around Blairite in their bias. Thats said I'd hate for us to abandon any pretence of political impartiality and wind up like America. A recent examination of registered voters showed that something like 40 million of them had their sole news source from the ranty talk radio shows that people like Alex Jones run.

For comparison (of lunacy rather than political position), imagine someone like David Icke being your only news source and believing yourself to be well informed of current events.

Yeah but they are still hostile to Brexit and very anti Trump
I've not heard anyone on the BBC or other media channels say anything positive about Trump.
I was listening to the radio last night.Jonathan Ross started his "arts" programme.Amid his ramblings was a comment about dogs intelligence.He went on to say that some dogs are more intelligent than people running one of the biggest countries in the world.
Also noteworthy are the other channels and their sneering and dismissive attitude to Trump.
I have yet to hear any of them be positive about it.

I've not heard anyone on the BBC or other media channels say anything positive about Trump.
I was listening to the radio last night.Jonathan Ross started his "arts" programme.Amid his ramblings was a comment about dogs intelligence.He went on to say that some dogs are more intelligent than people running one of the biggest countries in the world.
Also noteworthy are the other channels and their sneering and dismissive attitude to Trump.
I have yet to hear any of them be positive about it.
Have to say if I was listening to the radio and Ross came on I'd switch channels - just like I do if he appears on my TV screen. I can't stand the pompous, obnoxious, opinionated man child.