Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

BBC automatic subtitles show their bias.

The BBC's subtitles have always been cr@p. Given that the news is scripted and the anchor is reading from an autocue, even these words are constantly wrong. Sky on the other hand have first class subtitles for their live programmes.

Justin Welby (or possibly Rowan Williams) was described as the Arch Bitch of Canterbury; the subtitles commemorated the death of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother with 'a minute's violence'; a visit to a farm saw a reporter's comment that the piglets liked chewing the film crew's wellies almost come out correctly on the subtitles, bar the use of the letter 'i' in lieu of the first vowel in 'wellies' and there was a weather forecast in which the south of England was told to expect 'early morning fox patches' [sic].

Not all from the Beeb, but in an OFCOM report a couple of years ago which lamented the problems caused by moving over from stenographers to automatic voice 'recognition' software which transposed the sound into subtitles, but which - surprisingly - wasn't quite as good as the brochure from the manufacturers claimed, and which is still a bit rubbish.

Not as bad as the JSCSC-issue satnav which sent an HCSC trip 'straight on into Rude Al's Arrse'¹ a few years ago², but...

¹ Rue D'Alsace, as the French usually put it...
² And which, thanks to an outdated database, attempted to direct the vehicle into an abandoned supermarket car park.

Last edited:
Not as bad as the JSCSC-issue satnav which sent an HCSC trip 'straight on into Rude Al's Arrse'¹ a few years ago², but...

¹ Rue D'Alsace, as the French usually put it...
² And which, thanks to an outdated database, attempted to direct the vehicle into an abandoned supermarket car park.

My Satnav caught the same disease. Not so long ago it told me to "Turn left towards Corbyn."

Ah, so the rumours are true, then? - it's all down to the Beeb not upgrading from an early version of Dragon Naturally Speaking...!

I rely on subtitles to help with movies. I don't know why, but a lot of modern "moody" movies have the characters whispering and mumbling, which is ******* annoying when you're trying to understand what's happening.

I thought it was me going deaf, but apparently, it's a real thing. Judi Dench and Jan Leeming have criticised it heavily.

The rising problem of inaudible dialogue

I rely on subtitles to help with movies. I don't know why, but a lot of modern "moody" movies have the characters whispering and mumbling, which is ******* annoying when you're trying to understand what's happening.

I thought it was me going deaf, but apparently, it's a real thing. Judi Dench and Jan Leeming have criticised it heavily.

The rising problem of inaudible dialogue
And then when you turn it up to hear what they're actually saying the music kicks in and feckin deafens you:mad:

And then when you turn it up to hear what they're actually saying the music kicks in and feckin deafens you:mad:
Same thing with adverts, turn TV up during program/film so you can hear the people speaking then the adverts come on and it's fecking deafening, turn it down and when the program restarts and you can't hear a fecking thing.

Spot on. Mrs.49er is watching catch up Ripper Street. The mumbling buggers are drowned out by what morons would call "music". Arrses need to be kicked. If the beeb flog this stuff abroad how are all the benighted ones going to know what English sounds like?