BBC Apps . shite

OK , living in Europe I like to hear the UK news , a few BBC radio4 shows and UK comedy.

WTF does the BBC keep changing its bloody App?

Even presenters have said it bloody madness.

Tonight tried to log on, nope, need the new App. Why not a warning a week or three before it was changing?

Now got the new app, totally different from the ones before , have to re learn how to get to the show I wanted to hear.

Complain. As a licence-payer, it's your right.

or sign up on the ‘Windows Insider Program' and get the new crippled at birth Beeb (beta) voice assistant.

It sounds really wonderful... not.

Initially, Beeb will be able to play specific radio stations, podcasts, or programs from the BBC, with users having to say something like, “OK Beeb, play Radio 1.” Users will also be able to request a snapshot of the local weather and latest news headlines by saying, “OK Beeb, update me.”​

Other commands include “OK Beeb, tell me a joke,” with responses penned by professional comedy writers from the BBC.​

GreyArea

War Hero
Try the RadioUK App

Pay the extra couple of quid to get rid of the ads and it's a fairly decent little app for digital radio with all the BBC stations on it you could want.

NSP

LE
Other commands include “OK Beeb, tell me a joke,” with responses penned by professional comedy writers from the BBC.
So unfunny virtue signalling right-on tosh, then...?

Chef

LE
or sign up on the ‘Windows Insider Program' and get the new crippled at birth Beeb (beta) voice assistant.

It sounds really wonderful... not.

Initially, Beeb will be able to play specific radio stations, podcasts, or programs from the BBC, with users having to say something like, “OK Beeb, play Radio 1.” Users will also be able to request a snapshot of the local weather and latest news headlines by saying, “OK Beeb, update me.”​

Other commands include “OK Beeb, tell me a joke,” with responses penned by professional comedy writers from the BBC.​
I also noticed this snippet:​
' Google Assistant and Alexa have difficulties with very strong regional accents, and the BBC is looking to set itself apart by catering specifically to the myriad accents that exist across the U.K.'​
So will presumably have no difficulty in dealing with rappa, pidgin and Islington accents but will ignore privileged white male tones entirely.​

I also noticed this snippet:​
' Google Assistant and Alexa have difficulties with very strong regional accents, and the BBC is looking to set itself apart by catering specifically to the myriad accents that exist across the U.K.'​
So will presumably have no difficulty in dealing with rappa, pidgin and Islington accents but will ignore privileged white male tones entirely.​
All for only faah-naarty-naah a munf.

Chef

LE
All for only faah-naarty-naah a munf.
I had to read that a few times to take a guess at what you were writing. I'll never work for the BBC customer service dept will I?

I took a brief butchers round t'internet to get an idea of how much licence fee funding this decade too late 'Bee' voice assistant project has consumed... needless to say, nothing found.

I did find an FoI request asking about the costs of iPlayer in its various iterations. Apart from a couple of broad brush figures, the BBC claim licence fee spend is protected and thus secret and that they do not separate project costs out from the overall technology budget.

Interestingly, the BBC believes it will lose over £500m if licence evasion is decriminalised and better yet, if it is forced down the subscription route, every tv in the land would need to be adapted. This they have likened to the 'digital switchover' which cost the tax payer (quite coincidentally) £500m.

Yeah... i remember when I subscribed to Sky... bloke had to adapt my telly. same when I subscribed to Netflix and Prime except of course it never happened.

NSP

LE
I took a brief butchers round t'internet to get an idea of how much licence fee funding this decade too late 'Bee' voice assistant project has consumed... needless to say, nothing found.

I did find an FoI request asking about the costs of iPlayer in its various iterations. Apart from a couple of broad brush figures, the BBC claim licence fee spend is protected and thus secret and that they do not separate project costs out from the overall technology budget.

Interestingly, the BBC believes it will lose over £500m if licence evasion is decriminalised and better yet, if it is forced down the subscription route, every tv in the land would need to be adapted. This they have likened to the 'digital switchover' which cost the tax payer (quite coincidentally) £500m.

Yeah... i remember when I subscribed to Sky... bloke had to adapt my telly. same when I subscribed to Netflix and Prime except of course it never happened.
I don't watch BBC or other live-to-air TV so don't buy a licence as I don't need one. On this basis why would I need to have my TV adapted?

I've just saved them a few quid right there.

Latest Threads