BBC: ANA Bluster

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bakerlite, Jan 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Martha Carney, Radio 4, live from Kabul, gave us the benefit of her thoughts on the ANA.

Talking through an interpreter to men from a commando unit she finished by asking them whether they thought that their unit was the best in the army.

They responded enthusiastically but then in the voice over she dismissed their response as mere "bluster".

To equate esprit de corps with hot air seems both a trifle unkind and without understanding with the aim of the training and mentoring missions.

I would suggest that unless the BBC has an agenda, they sent the wrong girl.

2. We never talked to the press they always have an agenda, I always found a short and succint reply such as "**** off" worked well.
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The only correct answer to the question, "Who are the best unit?" is "We are!". Anything else equates to self-esteem issues. It doesn't matter if they are the Praetorian Guard or the Azerbaijani Militia.

I had quiet a bit of respect for the ANA units I worked with. Real fighting spirit and ability that could put some NATO armies to shame.
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sadly, it's what we have all come to expect from the BBC. This is especially the case with Ms Kearney, who has a track record as regards left-wing issues (despite - or possibly because of - her privileged upbringing and lifestyle).

Which brings me, yet again, to wonder - why do the Left (including the BBC) have this strange affection for the many of the nastier aspects of Islam, and for anyone who is blatantly anti-American, and hatred of all things Israeli?

Stupid of me - I've answered it myself - anyone who hates America is OK in their eyes, even if they do murder gays and adulterers, ban music, etc.