BBC 6 OClock news Report

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rhino_Stopper, Aug 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to show a special report on Army Bullying..on now...

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

watching it now. So far seems fairly normal, but without the punching and kicking I got in the late 80's, early 90's. Though I was Inf at the time and to be honest not so happy for it.

3. Some goon made a video and gave to BBC...

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

tis over now. Report is frankly a reasonable demostration of expectations for those joining the army. War isn't so easy..

5. Jaysus. Someones gonna get an interview without coffee.

For a change the BBC article seemed fair and balanced.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

And I suspect getting a kicking from his ex-oppo's as we speak.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

It was wrong. I got that treatment and I don't recall joining the SAS

8. Yeah, Army said in that report those weren't proper excercises either. Apparently, only the Special Forces face interrogation training.

Oh yeah, did anyone notice that the recruits on their charging exercise all looked oriental? Or maybe it's just me...

9. I would have prefered to have seen the video 'in context'. As shown it did look a little on the brutal side, at least it would to parents, families and civilians who's idea of a stressful day is getting to work late and the coffee machine not working. Soldiers have to be put in a position where they are cold, wet, frightened and uncomfortable, if only so they have the option to say "I can't hack that and I want to go".

They could of course wait until they are up a mountain or sailing on rough seas on adventure training, or even worse, actually in a combat situation, but by then it's too late as there is no way out by then.

I'm not saying there is no bullying in training, and if this was a regular event it could be down to bullying. But if it was a one off to make training realistic, and individuals aren't singled out for special treatment it could be an effective form of training, but you'd have to be very convincing to stop yourself from being thrown to the media/leftist 'lions'.

10. vid now on bbc news front page

11. Basic training? Did that with my regt but we had to! We were prone to capture. Is this necessary in basic? Training for Abu Gharib maybe?

12. do not believe all that you see on the TV. Recent programme about crime on the costa blanca and they asked the questions got the answers and then cut in cleverly different questions to the answers already given. Barstewards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Come off it! I did an E & E w/end in the TA at STANTA in 91 which was not much less harsh than that - and half my troop was 18yr old girls from insurance offices in Croydon. Granted, the foot on the throat was a bit much but it's inf trng - I was on the bleeps!

Woo

14. The footage wasn't nearly as bad as the description would have you believe; it certainly hasn't put me off joining.

No-one was getting kicked or punched, or permanently damaged - and I'd prefer a nice lie down with a boot resting on my neck to crawling through a stream while getting shouted at :D

15. Me neither. But sitting on each other's faces, with bags over your head? I'm all for putting the recruits in a state of suffering to make sure they don't bail out when it comes to reality, but I find the humiliation a bit OTT.