BBC - 1,000 deserters! - But is this an increase???

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldSnowy, May 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

At the link:

is a typical BBC anti-Army rant -

"More than 1,000 members of the British military have deserted the armed forces since the start of the 2003 Iraq war, the BBC has discovered."

"During 2005 alone, 377 people deserted and are still missing. So far this year another 189 are on the run.

Some 900 have evaded capture since the Iraq war started, official figures say.

The Ministry of Defence is very secretive about the number of men and women who desert from the armed forces.

Even better -

The Ministry claims that that it does not keep details of whether desertion is on the rise but a Labour MP, John McDonnell, told Parliament this week that there had been a tripling in cases over the past three years.

This is the sort of inflammatory, headline-grabbing tripes that I now expect to see from the BBC, but it still disappoints me. Nowhere does it give any facts regarding the number of desertions (surely mostly AWOL really - a QUITE different thing!). I do hope that the MoD will be able to refute this cr@p in short order - but am doubtful about their ability to do so, and certainly doubtful that the BBC would ever publish a retraction (they are, of course, never wrong).

I particularly like the bit about "evaded capture" btw, it sounds as if they are actually being hunted - when we all know that this has never been the case.

Why do I pay a licence fee for this?
  2. I could not agree with you more there Snowy.

Seems like a fairytale to me.

PS:Your up early or are you on night shifts?
  3. I'm just in from nights...... and I'm not AWOL and haven't deserted. Wish I had, back on nights tonight...... ARGHHHHHHHH
  4. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be and neither is the Beeb.

However many there are 'on the run' then unlike the foreign druggies, paedophiles, rapists etc they are not really a threat to society.

You meet one in a pub, invite him back to carry on the motion, he drinks all your beer, kicks the cat, throws up on your sofa and then tries to get off with your missus. And to top it all you've spent five hours listening to what I-raq or Stan was like, Or worse still Aldershot.

Still there's more security in Aldershot than in any open prison.
  5. Because you're getting the best people:

Terry Wogan

Chris Moyles

Declan Curry

Jo Whiley

(...and there's little chance of these individuals deserting their post)
  6. I didn't hear this as an anti-Army rant (listening to Five Live at the mo') - I did suspect it more as an anti Iraq War/anti - Govt rant though!
  7. IN my experience all soldiers who go AWOL end up hiding at their nan's!
  8. Dead right, I did that but it was cold hanging around the cemetery.

She'd been dead for years.
  9. When I was nearing the end of my stay in MCTC, a huge bloke from the Paras joined us in our nice cosy little nissen hut.

He had been AWOL for ages but after the horror at Warrenpoint, he had immediately given himself up.

We all thought that while he had originally made a big mistake, he had definitely tried to put it right.
  10. Dear OldSnowy!

Propose an alternative. What BBC should write?
  11. Where the RMP will never find them!
  12. As OldSnowy mentioned, there is a big difference between AWOL and desertion.

Unless the BBC have the full details of each individual case then they cannot say 'desertions'.

There has to be proof of intent not to return or the refusal to serve outside the UK.
  13. I take it that their Pay is Stopped? Or is that against their human rights.............. Or just slack admin :)

Used to be local police informed - RMP could not be bothered! :p

Should inform DWP (DSS as was) and Inland Revenue to blacklist them - That way they can work as cleaners at the MoD :wink:
  14. 900-189 (and allow for a few at the end of 2005) = 700. If the figures are correct, these must be desertions, rather than AWOL.

The imbalance is that no figures are quoted for the rate of desertion prior to 2003 - has it increased, remained stable, or decreased? And what other factors have been considered that may have triggered desertion?