Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jul 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

For reasons that we need not go into, this evening I have mainly been aurally overdosing on Stiff Little Fingers.

A band from Belfast who were responsible for the greatest intro riff in history (Alternative Ulster), and two covers that completely surpassed the originals ("Johnny Was" - Bob Marley & the Wailers and "Doesn't Make It Alright" - The Specials). However, they never really fulfilled their potential.

So who, or if you prefer which bands, do you think never really reached the peaks for which they were so manifestly destined?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. The Sweet. Look past the bubble-gum pap that their record company foisted upon us and you'll find an accomplished rock band. Listen to 'Desolation Boulevard' and you'll get where I'm coming from.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2

4. The singer is doing alright for himself at the moment.

Clint Mansell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5. S Club 7. The best rock band of a generation, and certainly as good as Joe Dolce and his backing tapes.

In May 2003, when they split up, I actually, almost, very nearly cried, and contemplated throwing myself off a small box.

You druggie funsters, I miss you.

6. An amazing composer. Alas, dont like his 'pop' stuff very much.

To be fair, his orchestral stuff is up there with the classics and comparable to Samuel Barber

He has a bit of competition with the likes of John Murphy

28 Weeks Later - 28 Days Later Theme Song - In A Heartbeat by John Murphy - YouTube

Great piece but sadly over used and samey across a lot of his pieces.

In answer to the OP's question, for me, the bad STAIND are very under rated.

The only song likely to be hear of these is 'outside'

Staind - Outside (Video) - YouTube

They are a band A&R'd by Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit which is in itself not a recommendation.

The first album available here was Break the Cycle. A great album. But, 14 Shades of Grey was a much greater masterpiece.

This is a band that is deep, Aaron Lewis's lyrics will rip a hole in your heart and let you know that there is much more to think about than your own selfish notions. In terms of style, they go from gospel/country (the corner- Illusions of progress album)
    Staind The Corner - YouTube

and everywhere in between to thrash/death metal (eg. mudshovel-dysfunction)
    Staind - Mudshovel (Video) - YouTube

Largely, the music will find a place in you that you are either living or hiding from. For pure un-adulterated rock, its more mature than what grandaddy could ever hope you'd be and listening to it is like learning about life.

That said, Aaron Lewis has obviously bred with a snake with tits...but dealt with it differently to us lot.

14 shades of grey
    break the cycle
    illusion of progress
    chapter v (5)

Particular songs I like are:

Zoe Jane Staind - Zoe Jane - YouTube
    Its Been a While Staind - It's Been Awhile (Video) - YouTube
    Epiphany Staind - Epiphany (Video) - YouTube
    So Far Away Staind-So far away - YouTube
    Everything Changes Staind - Everything Changes - YouTube
    schizophrenic conversations Staind - Schizophrenic Conversations - YouTube

7. Hound Dog Taylor but you had to see him "live" so not much chance of that now
  8. As stated recently in another thread, Talk Talk were a great band. Mark Hollis was a genius. Their later stuff was way ahead of their time and I bet Thom Yorke was a fan. I also like the way Mark just quit and disappeared. You won't see them at 80's festivals milking the retro tap.

I still listen to their albums on a weekly basis and there's no other band from the era that I still listen to with that much frequency. Japan were a good band too and I listen to them a fair bit still.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hot Chocolate - Emma - YouTube

Although I'm an utter headbanger Motorhead/Metallica etc Hot Chocolate were a great band and this is a real powerful song, just can't remember if they achieved their claim to fame as it were
  10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Couldn't agree more on TalkTalk and Japan.

Have to add John Hiatt as a singer/composer; been around years, a bit patchy at times but the good stuff is superb.

On the band front, the Longpigs. Somehow managed to get overshadowed by the Blur/Oasis thing, which was criminal as they deserved much, much better.
  11. I used to buy the singles mainly for the "b" sides.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

OK SLF overrated and utter shite. For those of you still wandering around in rose tinted things have a a rattle at Jake Burns recent solo album.
    Lindisfarne amazingly brilliant live. March On Marshall Rileys Army
    Steve Gibbons (Feel free to check out the utterly weeker Dylan Project, Gibbons sings Dylan songs and the rhythm section from Fairport rattle along behind him)
    Sensational Alex Harvey Band Youtube Delilah
    For absolute genius and brilliantness Graham Parker with or without the Rumour.

weeker means a jolly good thing.