Bayonets for sale!

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Queensman, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, I know a strange title of a Charity thread - let me explain: A friend of mine works for an Oxfam shop; they have just had a pair of WW1(?- more details to follow once I've seen them in the flesh) bayonets donated to them for sale on their on line shop Oxfam's Online Shop | Oxfam GB | Shop
    They feel that they shouldn't be sending things like this through the post so I was asked for advice.

1. I'm not sure about the legality of flogging a pair of wicked looking knives full stop, let alone on line.
    2. Are we even allowed to possess things like this, these days?
    3. If so - Does anyone out there in Arrse-land want a pair of bayonets - sensible offers please: all proceeds will go the Oxfam. I have a couple of 'collectors' who I think might like them too. We'll see.

Any sensible advice gratefully appreciated.

2. Photos please.

3. To follow, old chum - hopefully I'll be able to furnish you with some tomorrow.
  4. I thank you and good night.

5. You're legally ok to flog them but the charity will probably not wish to be associated with them: just in case they later end up being used to run someone through. Or being proudly sported by a child soldier in some African shithole with Oxfam price tags on 'em ;-) although that would be quite amusing.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. I rather doubt that a stabby chave would go to the trouble and expense of buying WW1 bayonets to set about his fellow-chave with. Not when he can buy a genuine Army survival knife for £2.50 off the boot sale.

The normal ways to sell edged tools online are: (a) have a 'tick to confirm you're 18' box which covers you legally, (b) check the Electoral Roll for the buyer before posting, and (c) requiring the purchaser to use a credit card, rather than a debit card (CCs are only issued to 18+)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. 2 x Bayonets. Both French.

One is a Lebel cruciform profile bayonet from on or around WW1, I think. The other is an '1892' of some description, probably also WW1. Both have scabbards and are in pretty good nick all round. Photos to follow.
  9. [​IMG]If it's one of these, tempted. The last time someone mentioned a knife on here I went and bought it on impulse but at least I could use it in the kitchen.

Then again I could spit roast 3 chickens on the hob if I bought that

10. That's the fellow!
  11. ..they wouldn't like that up them would they? Never mind running someone through, looks like you could have a sword fight with that.
  12. Yep, I would be interested. A pal of mine in Dundee collects bayonets I will make him aware.
  13. The chickens would of course be suitably prepared for spit roasting or are you talking about the hun in that case t would be a surprise
  14. Hi there,
    if these bayonets are still available then I would be interested in adding them to my collection. Any chance of a pic of the other bayonet?
  15. They are - however, I'm in negotiations with a couple of punters at present who are keen. Wait out!