Bayoneting Scots Guardsman sought bereaved Argentine Family...?

Initially reported in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eteran-meet-family-argentinian-soldier-killed

Former Scots Guardsman Hoggan sought the family of a young conscript he allegedly bayoneted in the neck during the Falklands War. The death occurred on Mt Tumbledown. A seemingly poignant story, but now authenticity of the story challenged in the Daily Mail:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854550/Did-phoney-Falklands-veteran-fool-world-media-Gordon-Hoggan-55-accused-fabricating-story-killing-Argentine-soldier-stabbing-neck-bayonet.html

If this chap has been a bit, err, economical with the truth, it's all a bit sad. Fabricating a story about killing someone - described in graphic detail - and then seeking the bereaved in Argentina takes 'walting' to a new and very sick level. There will be people on this site who might know the individual; moreover those with encyclopaedic of the campaign who may wish to verify the wherewithal in Mr Hoggan' story.

shibusa2

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's sad when there are claims and counter claims like this. If he is a walt then this is an extreme version of it. However, I don't give too much credence to the DM as it's an abomination.

I think it's pretty sad, involving the bereaved family. Alleged history of mental health issues, indeed.
You'd wonder what they'd talk about if they ever met up.

He is NOT a walt, I served with him, he has had severe psychological problems over the years, having said that, I will keep what I and others that we served with, think about it to myself

I thought it was a fairly odd sounding idea even before the veracity of the story was questioned. I can't imagine what the family of the dead Argie would be getting in exchange for the absolution / succour / forgiveness / whatever, sought by the ex-SG. They've probably got 30 years of bitterness and hatred stored up which, together with the current political climate, would more likely prompt a lynching than a big teary hug.
He doesn't need to apologise to anyone; he was doing his job (very well), they were the aggressors and his actions were justified.

He is NOT a walt, I served with him, he has had severe psychological problems over the years, having said that, I will keep what I and others that we served with, think about it to myself
Don't think walting, is an appropriate description of this case. It would appear from what's available in the press that he has real issues that need sorting out, not airing in the national media.

Perhaps I should apologise for placing this in the Waltenkommando Forum. As I say, it's a sad business all round and I hope he has support from family, friends and former colleagues, and hope he is getting the professional assistance that he appears to need. However, did this event actually take place? If anything, it's going to make things worse for the family of the young ARG conscript.

shibusa2

On ROPS
On ROPs
You'd wonder what they'd talk about if they ever met up.
To apologies. I mean that seriously. Have you heard of General Butt Naked (that was his nom de guerre) commander of Liberian forces? He did unspeakable things but was converted to Christianity and became a preacher. There was a television programme about him and he would seek out his victims to apologies and the effect on some was quite profound.

Granted Hoggan is not in the same category and I'm not saying he should feel guilty for doing his duty but you do what you do if you have PTSD or other mental health illness to seek some relief. If the family don't want to meet him they can always tell him to eff off.

To apologies. I mean that seriously. Have you heard of General Butt Naked (that was his nom de guerre) commander of Liberian forces? He did unspeakable things but was converted to Christianity and became a preacher. There was a television programme about him and he would seek out his victims to apologies and the effect on some was quite profound.

Granted Hoggan is not in the same category and I'm not saying he should feel guilty for doing his duty but you do what you do if you have PTSD or other mental health illness to seek some relief. If the family don't want to meet him they can always tell him to eff off.
The issue now is whether the incident he described did actually take place.

M

MotorBoat

Do share, you're saying he believes this happened, when in fact it didn't?

Still I'm sure G company had a tough enough time in that campaign, as well as all the other battalions and support elements involved

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Guardian said:
After seeing Galarza and another comrade come under attack, a petty officer named Julio Saturnino Castillo rushed out of his foxhole to defend them.

Shouting “English sons of bitches!”, he was gunned down on the spot.

The episode was widely recounted, and Castillo was posthumously awarded Argentina’s highest military honor.
If giving verbal abuse to the enemy warrants the Argentine equivalent of the VC there are going to be some highly decorated sons of bitches on this here.

If giving verbal abuse to the enemy warrants the Argentine equivalent of the VC there are going to be some highly decorated sons of bitches on this here.
VC's for shouting abuse at people, eh?

I like this bloke. Not easy, shouting abuse at people in a Lancaster, so he used to throw bricks out of the window instead.

DEREK FLYNN
In action: Jack Wakefield, with a picture of himself aged 22 in his RNZAF uniform, says he used to drop bricks out of the plane with rude words about Adolf Hitler written on them.