BAYONET?

Mr P in answer to your Q, tis a sharp metal thing normally attached to the end of your rifle. Serously I believe they are describing what used to be known as a Rifleman in an inf sect who does not have another role like LSW gunner,Minimi gunner or (40mmGL) grenadier. I'm sure one of the more up to date inf bods will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also seen it in the "Op certain Death " book in the same context

huscarl said:
Mr P in answer to your Q, tis a sharp metal thing normally attached to the end of your rifle.
No, that's a sword.

*Dives for slit trench, artillery stonk stylee*

And rightly so :D . Swords are for cutting cakes and opening champers.
bottles .The infantry kill people with bayonets.It bog standard private infantry type.

Yes, but you're a squidgy, so you would say that.
Forward the Rifles (with swords fitted). :wink:

it sounds alot sexier than fix bayonets

imagine the Great War..............a Rifle batallion ready to go over the top...............the sound of the big guns fades away.............silence.............then a cry shrieks into the still morning air.......... "Fix Swords!".............the bugler sounds the charge and men surge into history.................

Does it fcuk! sounds fcukin stooopid, ok I'll admit that the Rangers do have a Rifles background and we still have rifle green on black rank slides, but we NEVER fix Swords, unless you've managed to break one in the mess and then its the armourers job. :)

Faugh-A-Ballagh

FAB thing - sword is a unique British Army term - bayonet is french from the town of Bayonne where it was invented. I think that sword has a particular exentricity about it

Also it was first called a sword-bayonet but was shortened to sword to avoid confusuion with the standard bayonet for the Brown Bess musket

and don't forget that your caubeen is Rifle green as well

The-Daddy said:
FAB thing - sword is a unique British Army term - bayonet is french from the town of Bayonne where it was invented. I think that sword has a particular exentricity about it

Also it was first called a sword-bayonet but was shortened to sword to avoid confusuion with the standard bayonet for the Brown Bess musket

and don't forget that your caubeen is Rifle green as well
And the sword for the Baker rifle actually looked like a sword...

http://www.southessex.co.uk/weapons/baker.htm

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They don't like it up 'em -they do not like it up 'em!

"How many Red Coats does it take to change a light bulb?

They can't do it..............

They're too busy trying to stab the enemy with it........."

How many Riflemen does it take to change a light bulb?

None - we ain't scared of the dark! :twisted:

Petriburg said:
And the sword for the Baker rifle actually looked like a sword...

http://www.southessex.co.uk/weapons/baker.htm
Interesting link.
"The Baker rifle of the Peninsular War period was equipped with a 24" long-bladed, brass handled sword bayonet. These were very handy for chopping wood for the campfire, toasting meat, picketing horses and other camp tasks - they were rarely used for hand-to-hand combat."

Not much changed there then.