Bayonet

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by dirk_digler, Apr 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently finished basic at Pirbright and have a question about the use of the bayonet in recent conflicts.
    After bayonet training someone asked the Cpl who was from the Rifles why we still do bayonet training when the septics no longer regard it as a necesary training requirment and if there has been any recent bayonet charges.

The Cpl replied that not a day goes by in Afghan without someone getting the pointy end.

Is this true and what is the reason for this? Would it be because the greenzone is densely vegetated, lack of supplies or was the DS exagerating?

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

3. I reckon he was exagerating.

4. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8252974.stm

Hope this helps.

5. "Because, after the war to end all wars, the two surviving men will climb out of their holes and kill each other with sharp implements, the second oldest weapon in history, the Bayonet"
    Cant remember who told me that but it just sounded like a good answer for your question

6. I can't speak for your Sect Comd in training but what I can tell you is this. Last time I was in Helmand we fixed bayonets on an awful lot of Deliberate Ops, and while I do not recall any specific enemy fighters killed by the bayonet, it certainly ensures all of our minds are focussed.
    When the blokes and I go back in Sep (ish) I suspect once again this will feature in what we do - unless our new flash eliminators prevent it...

7. AIUI its compatible with the Vortex eliminator.

8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

It works so why try and change it if ever an Army built a reputation on one piece of kit it was the British Army and the Bayonet

They don't like it up em they do not like it up em

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. There's not much anyone can add to that, Syrup!

10. Don't forget, it also has a bottle opener ........... don't know why though..... pretty handy on some occasions I suppose.

11. Very true!

The bayonet apart from a tin opener is a wire cutter also although I've never used it but the ASH boys proved it's use in war/theatre but I also second another comment

It's better to have it and not need than need it and not have it!

12. T-B-S, fourth picture down are Yanks. Remedial recognition for you! :D

13. although would love to have seen the media response had a soldier bayoneted someone on the streets of Belfast :)

14. the_boy_syrup

Oops :oops:
    I googled British Army fix bayonets in Korea and that came up
    A bit of further research proves you are correct
    Although the officer leading it Capt Lewis Millet claims he learned to bayonet fight in the Canadian Army during WW2 after he deserted the US Army to fight (wonder if we can claim him as an Empire soldier then :D )

I was trying to find a bayonet charge from all the recent campaigns

15. the_boy_syrup

If 1 Para had fixed bayonets when they charged forward on Bloody Sunday would we have classed that as a Bayonet Charge?