Bayonet training to go in US. Possibly.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by PE4rocks, Feb 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some twunt of a US General wants to discontinue bayonet training.

Source Popsci

Some sensible comments under the item I thought.

Lets hope this sort of nonsense stays the other side of the pond.
  2. I thought there were reports of a few bayonettings (if thats even a word) on HERRICK ? Lots of good phots with bayonets fixed anyway.
  3. I don't know what the exact definition of a bayonet "charge" is but, there have been cases where bayonets have been used out in Afghan.
  4. Bayonet training is totally and utterly pointless.
  5. I see what you did there! :D
  6. Aren't I good! :D

7. Fair bit about this on the internet. Involved the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

And it was 35 insurgents they are reported to have dispatched to the afterlife using the trusty bayonet.

Lets hope, if the US do decide to stop bayonet training, we have more sense and do not follow suit.

Link to a Sun story about the Basra charge:
  8. Absolute bollox. Anyone who has done an Afghan tour on the ground would tell you that.
  10. I think you will find it was the PWRR not teh A&SH. Pl Sgt got the CGC for the action.

The ambulance chaser is going through the courts now trying to prove they were civvies out for a stroll.

edited to correct rank and award
  12. Indeed the PWRR Pl Sgt did get the CGC. One of the highlights of my career as a teacher was the day his daughter, a child in my tutor group, came to me to ask if she might be permitted a day off school to go to Buckingham Palace with him on the day of his investiture.
  13. Bayonet training, I don't see the point of it myself.
  14. Lt James Adamson was recently awarded the MC for, among other things, killing a Talib with the bayonet.
  15. ...and indeed the then Major John Kiszely won his MC on Tumbledown for an action during which he shot two Argentinians and bayonetted a third