Bayonet training to go in US. Possibly.

#1
Some twunt of a US General wants to discontinue bayonet training.

A general in command of U.S. Army training says that a new generation of video-gaming, computer-savvy but less physically fit soldiers will no longer learn how to disembowel an enemy with a bayonet. The passing of the old infantry standby may simply reflect a modern battlefield that has become both more tech-heavy and more tactically complex, according to AP and other news sources.
DefenseTech also points out the last known bayonet charge carried out in 2004. A group of 20 British soldiers near Basra fought off an ambush by over 100 Mahdi fighters in Iraq, but eventually ran low on ammo. They then resorted to a fierce bayonet charge that killed 20 militiamen and compelled the rest to flee or surrender, with only three British soldiers injured.
Source Popsci

Some sensible comments under the item I thought.

Lets hope this sort of nonsense stays the other side of the pond.
 
#2
I thought there were reports of a few bayonettings (if thats even a word) on HERRICK ? Lots of good phots with bayonets fixed anyway.
 
#3
sc_obvious said:
I thought there were reports of a few bayonettings (if thats even a word) on HERRICK ? Lots of good phots with bayonets fixed anyway.
I don't know what the exact definition of a bayonet "charge" is but, there have been cases where bayonets have been used out in Afghan.
 
#7
DefenseTech also points out the last known bayonet charge carried out in 2004. A group of 20 British soldiers near Basra fought off an ambush by over 100 Mahdi fighters in Iraq, but eventually ran low on ammo. They then resorted to a fierce bayonet charge that killed 20 militiamen and compelled the rest to flee or surrender, with only three British soldiers injured.


Fair bit about this on the internet. Involved the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

And it was 35 insurgents they are reported to have dispatched to the afterlife using the trusty bayonet.

Lets hope, if the US do decide to stop bayonet training, we have more sense and do not follow suit.

Link to a Sun story about the Basra charge: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article88661.ece
 
#9
Fallschirmjager said:
Cabbage_man said:
And it was 35 insurgents they are reported to have dispatched to the afterlife using the trusty bayonet.
Absolute bollox. Anyone who has done an Afghan tour on the ground would tell you that.[/quote

This happened when I was there, not sure of how many they killed but according to someone who I spoke to who saw the scene aftermath it was a right fcuking mess.
 
#10
Cabbage_man said:
DefenseTech also points out the last known bayonet charge carried out in 2004. A group of 20 British soldiers near Basra fought off an ambush by over 100 Mahdi fighters in Iraq, but eventually ran low on ammo. They then resorted to a fierce bayonet charge that killed 20 militiamen and compelled the rest to flee or surrender, with only three British soldiers injured.


Fair bit about this on the internet. Involved the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

And it was 35 insurgents they are reported to have dispatched to the afterlife using the trusty bayonet.

Lets hope, if the US do decide to stop bayonet training, we have more sense and do not follow suit.

Link to a Sun story about the Basra charge: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article88661.ece
I think you will find it was the PWRR not teh A&SH. Pl Sgt got the CGC for the action.

The ambulance chaser is going through the courts now trying to prove they were civvies out for a stroll.

edited to correct rank and award
 
#11
Mag_to_grid said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Cabbage_man said:
And it was 35 insurgents they are reported to have dispatched to the afterlife using the trusty bayonet.
Absolute bollox. Anyone who has done an Afghan tour on the ground would tell you that.[/quote

This happened when I was there, not sure of how many they killed but according to someone who I spoke to who saw the scene aftermath it was a right fcuking mess.
Yeah, it seemed a bit to good to be true.

Any idea how many were taken out with the bayonet?
 
#12
offog said:
Cabbage_man said:
DefenseTech also points out the last known bayonet charge carried out in 2004. A group of 20 British soldiers near Basra fought off an ambush by over 100 Mahdi fighters in Iraq, but eventually ran low on ammo. They then resorted to a fierce bayonet charge that killed 20 militiamen and compelled the rest to flee or surrender, with only three British soldiers injured.


Fair bit about this on the internet. Involved the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

And it was 35 insurgents they are reported to have dispatched to the afterlife using the trusty bayonet.

Lets hope, if the US do decide to stop bayonet training, we have more sense and do not follow suit.

Link to a Sun story about the Basra charge: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article88661.ece


I think you will find it was the PWRR not teh A&SH. Pl Sgt got the CGC for the action.

The ambulance chaser is going through the courts now trying to prove they were civvies out for a stroll.

edited to correct rank and award
Indeed the PWRR Pl Sgt did get the CGC. One of the highlights of my career as a teacher was the day his daughter, a child in my tutor group, came to me to ask if she might be permitted a day off school to go to Buckingham Palace with him on the day of his investiture.
 
#16
The pwrr plt sgt was my old rsm he got his gong for bayoneting at danny boy in iraq, my old plt sgt was on herric with the argyll and bolton wonderes said they got a few terry with thier bayonets in the wadis
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads