Bayonet Frog

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by StabTiffy2B, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right Party People,

One of our Dark Blue bretheren has asked why is a Bayonet Frog called a Bayonet Frog.

Any takers?
  2. pro word NO-wah.

'cos it holds bayonets... init 8O
  3. But why a frog?
  4. Its on a need to know basis... As as its them they don't need to know
  5. Maybe because due to our history with the Frenchies most British Army bayonets were usually found in Frogs!
  6. Ah, i see. :oops:

Sorry mate, not a scooby. Maybe someone from QM's might be able to shed some light on it.
  7. LMAO! Answer should be fairly clear eh?
  8. Why is it called a bayonet-frog? A really good question!

It interests me too, if only for the reason that I had to blanco the fückin' thing so many times.

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight now....horrible memories of trying to get the brass stud in place in the middle without spoiling the whole thing - and torn fingernails.. :x
  10. Ill go with that answer :D
  11. Well the dictionary has the word 'frog' down as this.

From Here
    • Like Like x 1
  12. And he'll already know that bayonnette derives from Bayonne - in France

Time to go, methinks
  13. Probably a British corruption of the foreign term froco which is the loop and button fastening arrangement as used on old uniforms/coats/tunics. Broadened and adapted to many items where something is held in place by pushing it through a holder, i.e. button, sword, bayonet.

14. Closely related to Frogging:
    "Braided fastenings usually looped over a button or braided toggles in the same fabric. Often used in military uniform and traditionally Asian garments." is one definition.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not something used in my old regiment, now they use something called a sword!