Bay Leaves - Am I missing something?

For many years I dutifully followed recipes and put bay leaves in various stews, casseroles etc. I have used both dried and fresh.

Eventually, in an Emperor's new clothes moment, it occurred to me, "I can't taste any difference whatsoever".

Anyone else?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
crumble a fresh bay leaf in your hand - you will smell ginger

Heathen. Well either that or defective taste buds.

I use bay leaves alot and have a bay tree by my front door and I can taste the difference if I omit them from one of my regular recipes.

I've tried that as well and I've used a spice mill.... **** all. What is it, exactly, that you are tasting?
Do you have a keen sense of taste? Do you do anything that would desensitise your taste buds?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm not taking the piss but what I think you are saying is I should flavour the blandest dish known to humanity and I might just detect something?
Obviously you'd need some salt, pepper, garlic and perhaps chilli, just to add to the warmth of the bay leaf.

Do you have a keen sense of taste? Do you do anything that would desensitise your taste buds?
I have a very keen sense of taste. Even when I smoked, years ago, it didn't affect my taste and I noticed no difference after I gave up. Some spice and herb flavours I like and some less so (eg I've never been nuts about tarragon). Bay tastes to me of virtually nothing whatsoever.

Come on cooks, I can't be the only one.

fresh bass or bream baked with lemon black pepper butter and bay leaves amazing. smoked haddock poached in milk with pepper corns and bay leaf would hate to be without it.

I have a very keen sense of taste. Even when I smoked, years ago, it didn't affect my taste and I noticed no difference after I gave up. Some spice and herb flavours I like and some less so (eg I've never been nuts about tarragon). Bay tastes to me of virtually nothing whatsoever.

Come on cooks, I can't be the only one.
Nope, you're not the only one, I can't remember the foodie article that I read a few years ago that stated that a fair percentage of people, me included, cannot taste anything different when fresh or dried bay leaves are used.

I think it was in the region of 10 to 15% of people tested on a scientifically based experiment.

The only reason I haven't added bay leaf to tomato based meals is because I ran out of it. Tempted to grow some in a pot, provided slugs and snails don't eat it.
Let the snails eat it. Then eat the gourmet snails with garlic and chives in butter. Also the tree will outgrow the pot in no time so have a place to plant it.

Nope, you're not the only one, I can't remember the foodie article that I read a few years ago that stated that a fair percentage of people, me included, cannot taste anything different when fresh or dried bay leaves are used.

I think it was in the region of 10 to 15% of people tested on a scientifically based experiment.
Perhaps it is me, then. I've fished bay leaves out of something I've been cooking and sucked them. It might as well have been privet. Nothing.