BATUS FTRS QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by KNAGGSY, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

been looking for FTRS for a while now their is a lot of jobs at BATUS for a 7month trip but you need to have NEW SV FLEET qual

anyone know how to get this been TA still using the older stuff no chance of getting id through unit as no need for it

:?

2. msr

msr LE

Speak to Glasgow and if they need you, they will arrange for you to get the qual before you go.

msr

3. Try this before your next post!

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/

4. If you enjoy being in the midle of no where, $60 cab fares into town (one way), limited access to clubs 'because of your rank' and stirring your mates porridge its for you.

5. Sounds brilliant!

I hope that the porridge stirring is a euphemism!! phwoar!

T C

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

1. Club together and buy a car for the duration. Take turns to be duty Soberboy. Make friends with the MT( if you aren't part of)
    2. Medicine Hat is not the only source of entertainment. Banff is do-able for weekend skiing and Calgary is not that far away for a weekend shop.
    3. If 'Stirring your mates porridge' is akin to bean-flicking - take a handycam and post results here :)
    4. Talk to mates who've done it, take a look at your bank balance and JFDI.

7. 1. between 6 of you thats $10 (£5), plus they have PS2's in the back of the cars!

Plently of other places to other than Med Hat, Banf, Calgergy, Leftbridge, can eaisly hire a car between a few of you and piss off for a weekend.

Never had a dramas with anything like that when i was there, most places let you in regardless of been BG or safety staff. But if you enjoy minging fat birds then down town is for you!

Best place I've been so far, best AT I've ever done and probally it'll be the best I'll ever do!
    I would def reccomend going, wheather it be as safety, REME or as part of the BG,and if it turns out to be sh1t, well wat have you lost, just an extra £10 per day!

8. Sappa I thought you had not joined yet, how does one so young and tender know about "stirring your mates porridge" :? Are you a closet devo :roll:

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I did a tour there as a fresh faced sprog in 1987, faaaantastic. I doubt much of substance has changed - although I hear they've banned strippers in Med Hat. Managed to visit Calgary, Vancouver and an adventure training trip through the Rockies canoeing.

Go for it - as with any posting you get out what you put in.

10. Did the AT in the rockies at the same time as you mate, probably on the same AT. Did you do the horse riding?

Possibly the best AT I've ever done, canoeing, trekking through the rockies up and around Lake Moraine/Lake Louise. Mountain biking. Loved it.

11. All I can say is, 'go for it'. I went out there in 2000 for 6 months and ended up staying for 2 years.

You will work hard during the Med Man phases but then you can play equally hard all over the place. Calgary and Lethbridge were favourites, unless you enjoy drinking with a BG fresh off 6 weeks on the prairie!

As per MSR's post, if you are accepted they will provide the qualification, either here or there.

It is also one of the few opportunities you will get, non-operationally, to see different Arms working together at BG level.

12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I was on a six monther there and it was organised by a visiting 2 Lt - mainly resident and visiting Bleeps, but one RCT if I remember. It was just the canoeing for us, we didn't do biking or treking, not that I'm complaining, the North Seskachewen (sp?) river and its scenery were breath taking - even to an ignorant teenager. :D

13. If required you can get qualed over there. It might not necessarily be the case that you will drive the SVs as this is mainly done by the BG. If you were going for 7 months it would most probably be as Range Staff possibly driving the Red Tops or even employed in a none driving role.

14. That 1 RCT would have been me then! North Saskachewen river was awesome. A lad from my local town died on that river the year after we did it.

Would love to go back there one day.