BATUK (BRITISH ARMY TRAINING UNIT KENYA) INFO WANTED

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Bart_man, Aug 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK LOOKING FOR A BIT IF INFO HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I COULD BE OFF TO BATUK (BRITISH ARMY TRAINING UNIT KENYA) IN NOV BUT NO MATTER HOW HARD I LOOK I CANT FIND ANYTHING ABOUT THE PLACE ANY ONE EVER BEEN THERE AND GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT ITS LIKE

2. I can tell you lots about Kenya since i grew up there but not much about BATUK.

If that helps.

3. Hot , Shitty and thieving Zulus.....1000's of them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Last I heard (unless it has changed it's name) it was called BATLSK (British Army Training and Liaison Staff Kenya) located 30 Miles North of Nairobi in what is Now Kahawa Garrison.

In fact, it is located in what used to be the Dry Ration store for the entire British Garrison which used to come under the command of 24 Infantry Brigade in the 1960s and whose garrison complex used to stretch into what is Now Nairobi University.

BATLSK was set up when the British Army left Kenya on independence in 1964. That part which now comprises Kahawa Garrison used to accommodate the former King's African Rifles, and now the Kenyan Army and encroaches into what used to belong to the British Army, including the former Married Quarter complex of the old British Garrison.

The main purpose of BATLSK is to provide for the administration of Ex GRAND PRIX which visits Kenya on FTX several times per year on Kenya's excellent training areas.

Anyone passing through BATLSK who is interested in the history of the place should call into what is now the University complex next door. Up until 1964 it used to be the most modern Garrison anywhere in Africa, the Bungalows were all soldiers married quarters, with its own garden and houseboy's quarters at the bottom of each garden. The garrison complex was exceptionally modern for it's day and remains intact almost unchanged when I lived there as a child.

It has a church, shopping centre, bank, cinema, swimming pool, playing fields, medical centre, two co-located barrack complexes which each used to accommodate British Battalions of then nearly a thousand strong each (then 2nd Bn Scots Guards and the Staffordshire Regiment), Sergeants and Offficers Messes and a Primary School. The assault course and 2 x 30m ranges are still intact as is the scaffolding erected as a confidence course outside of the Gymnasium and opposite the bus part which used to comprise the MT compound It was a huge multi-million pound complex representing an enormous cost to the taxpayer back in the 1960s that was never entirely complete before independence was granted to Kenya.

That is about as much as I can tell you.

Regards and best wishes
    Iolis

5. Ex Grand Prix 1997 = W*nk...

6. Iolis painted a rather wonderful picture of the British Army's Templar Barracks circa 1964 their successors and Nairobi University, are not as meticulous in the area of amenities and building/grounds maintenance.
    Unfortunately BATLSK (if that is indeed where you are destined) permanent staff accomodation is, I believe, still located in the old stores complex, very basic though being in Kenya for six to nine months more than compensates!

Maybe BATUK is a new organisation tasked to train the Kenyan army?
    You didn't mention which arm or service you were in.

7. A mate was their last year, loads of hookers, dirt cheap everything and you can pick up an AK for around £70!! Thats the info you were really after wasnt it?;)

8. I'm Signals for my sins

9. I did BATLSK 93-94, at the time they were building new workshops and stores. Top place, accom not too bad as it kept you cool at night. Used to have one of the locals come round in the morning and wash all your clothes and place it on your bed all ironed when you got back. Top food in the Temp Staff cookhouse, steaks the size of doormats. Swimming pool which we painted (probably needs a new coat now!). I heard it has got a lot bigger, when the Grand Prix's finished for the yr the Land Rovers were brought down to the camp and stored. Trouble was the batteries were taken out in case they got stolen, but as the sprog of the camp at the time i was detailed to get 23KE45 to workshop for repair/mod. Fine, but it was the 8th in the row and it required me to place the 1(!) battery available in the other 7 to get to it!
    As for Safaris, once youve seen one lion you have seen them all! And people pay thousands to see them on holiday!! Mad!

10. BATUK is the current acronym for the place and whilst I can't vouch for the exact distance from Nairobi it certainly isn't 30 miles!

Bart_man, one of the deciding factors as to the enjoyment value of the tour will be whether you are Temporary Staff or Permanent Staff as there is a distinct difference in the rules regarding both groups.

11. At the time i was there most of the Perm Staff were one or two SNCO's the rest were officers. I used to do CO's Driver although that wasnt my official job and it was the time when he got a brand new Land Rover Discovery. His house was un-believable. Couple of housemaids, garden was landscaped like Kew Gardens. Co was ex Kings Regt, top bloke actually. But as Temp Staff we were treated well by Perm ones. But back in 93/4 it was a bit more close knit, from what ive heard its gone a bit more, dare i say it, military!! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ken Barlow's taxi?!! :lol:

13. Say again over ?

14. Outside the camp in Nanyuki there was a crazy Kenyan with a VW Beetle, no seats, lights or breaks and he went by the name of Ken Barlow.

"Prix 1997 = W*nk" Agreed, Ken was the only f*cking thing that made me laugh..apart from Larium.

15. Ref Strait Jacket,Kenya was Bad Mate,one of the worst experience's i've had as a Rfn,even worse than getting sent over to Support Coy Lines as a Crow to ask the Bloke's from Mortar's if i could borrow their Hoover :D As for Larium,well all that used to do was make me Sp*nk my Gonk Bag,not an excellent side effect i must say !