Battlevests

Battsimm, any idea where the gen came from ?
It does sound like an urban myth - if the plate had been shoved back hard enough to cause the buttons beneath to enter these ouens' bodies, what were their other injuries ? 8O

Edit:

I can see buttons or fragments being forced into bare flesh or even through shirts, but not those protected by the plates.
Thats just it mate, that plate is a big heavy chunk, hit it hard enough and its going to move pressing against your body in the process, any buttons behind it are trapped between you and the plate - whats softest - skin or plate? Not the place to go into the physics etc of it, suffice to say there were pics of exactly these type of injury in INET and it forced a change in SOP for at least my unit it was also backed up by the compulsory wearing of ISSUE eye protection whilst travelling as it had 'KNOWN' ballist properties, unlike choggie 'Oakley' replicas as both steps could potentially drastically reduce the chances of 'additional' injuries other than the main impact.......

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Battsimm said:
Battsimm, any idea where the gen came from ?
It does sound like an urban myth - if the plate had been shoved back hard enough to cause the buttons beneath to enter these ouens' bodies, what were their other injuries ? 8O

Edit:

I can see buttons or fragments being forced into bare flesh or even through shirts, but not those protected by the plates.
Thats just it mate, that plate is a big heavy chunk, hit it hard enough and its going to move pressing against your body in the process, any buttons behind it are trapped between you and the plate - whats softest - skin or plate? Not the place to go into the physics etc of it, suffice to say there were pics of exactly these type of injury in INET and it forced a change in SOP for at least my unit it was also backed up by the compulsory wearing of ISSUE eye protection whilst travelling as it had 'KNOWN' ballist properties, unlike choggie 'Oakley' replicas as both steps could potentially drastically reduce the chances of 'additional' injuries other than the main impact.......
Exactly.
If you're hitting the curved plate (which has the padded 'backing' of both the kevlar and trauma pad,) with a blast that is hard enough to force the buttons into the body, what is happening to the area surrounding the plate, and especially that uncovered by the rest of the CBA ?

Been speaking to OTTs and Hacking-Quacks on this subject and they've never seen buttons pushed into the body by the ceramic plates - plenty by rds and blast though.

Agreed on the compulsory eye protection mind, best move made for ages, but once again the British Army has been slow on the uptake here, other countries were issuing this type of kit for more than ten years.
Real Oakley eyewear has been used as ballistic eye protection from it's inception which must be well over twenty odd years ago now, and as long as they're of subdued colours have been approved for service use in many places as their protective properties often exceed that of issued kit.
Then we always have the local badge who may or may not have a grudge against them...

Cuts, I'm faaaaaaar too far down the food chain to be able to debate BDE/BG policy or even get a good look at the whys and wherefores, I just crack on so I'm not informed enough to guess as to why we were told to do it but can just say its what we were told.

BS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tango34_UK Weapons, Equipment & Rations 33