Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Battlespace Technology Course

All of those who have filtered to the Beige List Main Board have to apply for the BTC, and if selected, will be boarded seperately, for IG2 jobs which require it (in the log and tech fields).

Can anybody vouch for its utility/impact on RLC officer profiles? - would one end up holled up in DE&S for their whole career?

The letter from APC suggests that "most" of the jobs are top third types, with "some WTE",- but there is no jobs list available until after the deadline date (10 days time)

any advice very welcome, thanks.

In itself the BTC has no impact. WTE jobs (top 10 - 15%) are just that - the job requires a quality person. The BTC is a qualification. To get a job that is WTE and BTC you need both, but don't confuse having the latter with being the former.

If you fancy months on a course having just done 8 months on ICSC(L) then good for you, but I could'nt recommend it unless you need a qualification for civvie street. I know seceral people who've done the BTC and not used any of it in their IG2 job.

BTC 5 will start in Aug and finish in time for the students to proceed on ICSC(L) 7B (ie the reverse of what has happened up to now).

Plus points:
- 6 months extra stability
- free masters degree
- good technical job
- no career foul (your IG2 job finishes at the same time as your contemporaries)

BTC 5 will start in Aug and finish in time for the students to proceed on ICSC(L) 7B (ie the reverse of what has happened up to now).

Plus points:
- 6 months extra stability
- free masters degree
- good technical job
- no career foul (your IG2 job finishes at the same time as your contemporaries)

C_C. You mean Cse 8B to start in Jan 12. Cse 7B starts in Jan 11. :cool:

The BTC shouldn't tie you to DE&S or even the Tech Career Field; the Officer Career Development Model directs that, in the majority of cases, officers will diversify career fields in their Subsequent Grade 2 job. After that you could expect to return to the Tech Career Field but there are no cast iron rules on this.

Speak to your Career Manager if you're concerned.

The way that it was explained to me is that most (or perhaps all) of the top third IG2 jobs in the tech field are tied to the BTC. This means that if you want to go to a tech job and want a top third one, you pretty much have to do BTC.

The "hard sell" that MCM Div was giving went along the lines of: do BTC and get a top third job (albeit not on quite the same level as the top Combat and DefPol jobs), also having done BTC you would be better qualified to fill the more demanding Tech jobs at SO1 level and above. It was basically an extension of the "Tech stream is worth an extra rank down the line" argument.

I don't think that there were any Log field jobs tied to the BTC, but I could be wrong.

I had heard that the next BTC was going to be conducted before the ICSCL main course rather than after it, with officers doing BTC and then going onto the ICSCL B course. I can't say if this is actually happening, but no doubt someone else will know.

I think b-c's comment about 'hard sell' hits the button.
I realise that I might sound like a technology hating luddite but I'm not (although those internal combustion devil boxes did lose us the Empire). Its just that this is yet more Glasgow spin to get people to do things that might not suit that individual but they have to fill.

The "hard sell" that MCM Div was giving went along the lines of: do BTC and get a top third job (albeit not on quite the same level as the top Combat and DefPol jobs), also having done BTC you would be better qualified to fill the more demanding Tech jobs at SO1 level and above. It was basically an extension of the "Tech stream is worth an extra rank down the line" argument.

Don't be fooled - a 'top' BTC/Tech job (whether in the MOD/HQLF/DE&S) doesn't have the same profile (MS weight/kudos - call it what you will) as a 'top' Def Pol/Cbt appt, and probably rightly so Going into the 'equipment' (I know, capability...) world at IG2 may not be your best route to membership on ECAB. However, the course isn't complete pants, and it opens up plenty of opportunities (both within and outside) so don't be put off. And you shoudn't be tied to the Tech career field as has been mentioned... Good luck; it'll be a while before we see if the 'BTC = +1 rank rule' has any truth in it at all. I have my doubts mind, especially having been over promoted at least twice already. Fact.