Battleshock - RUSI Lecture, 7 Nov 2006, London.


Book Reviewer
I hope PTP will bear with this - in my view it is DEFINITELY Current Affairs, because Combat Stress will be dealing with the fallout from both our current ' hot ops ' for the next 15 years.

The Combat Stress Armistice Day Lecture - Tuesday 7 November 2006

with guest speaker Professor Simon Wessely

We are pleased to invite you to the Combat Stress Annual Armistice Lecture with guest speaker, Civilian Consultant Advisor in Psychiatry to the British Army, Professor Simon Wessely from King's College, London.

All proceeds from this event will be used to fund our remedial treatment and welfare services on behalf of traumatised veterans throughout the UK and Ireland.

The veterans we support represent every campaign and peacekeeping mission that British Forces have been involved in since the Second World War, including Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Gulf War I, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

Sadly, in the last year we were referred 948 new veterans.This, compared to 759 in the previous year, is unfortunately part of a growing trend. If the rise in new referrals continues at this rate we will soon pass the 1,000 mark.

We do hope you will be able to join us for this insightful and very topical lecture by Professor Wessely, hosted in RUSI's exquisite Whitehall venue.

We look forward to meeting you at our Armistice Lecture.

The lecture will take place as follows:

11.00 Tea, coffee and registration
12.00 Lecture begins
13.00 Sandwich lunch

Professor Wessely’s lecture is entitled:"The Life and Death of Private Harry Farr".

An interesting and timely talk about a Private executed in 1916 for cowardice, despite having a history of “shell shock”. After a long campaign by the family, Defence Secretary Des Browne recently decided to recommend a posthumous pardon for Private Farr and others executed during the First World War for military offences. Professor Wessely will discuss what we know about the trial and execution of Private Farr, and more specifically, what was “shell shock” in 1916?

Simon Wessely is Professor of Epidemiological and Liaison Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College, London, and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at King’s and Maudsley Hospitals. He recently spent a sabbatical in the Department of War Studies at King’s College, London.

His research interests are between medicine and psychiatry, clinical epidemiology and military health. He has published over 450 papers on many subjects, including epidemiology, post-traumatic stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain, Gulf War illness, military health and terrorism. His current research is around various aspects of
military health, including the so-called “Gulf War Syndrome”; psychological stressors of military life; PTSD; risk communication; risk and benefits of military service; ; screening and health surveillance within the Armed Forces; social and psychological outcomes of ex-service personnel and historical aspects of military psychiatry.

He has also just completed a major study on the health of 12,000 UK military personnel who took part in the invasion of Iraq, recently published in The Lancet.

He is Director of the King’s Centre for Military Health Research Unit at King’s College, London and Civilian Consultant Advisor in Psychiatry to the Army. He has recently co-authored a book on Clinical Trials in Psychiatry, and a new history of shell shock.

RSVP: The Fundraising Department,
Tyrwhitt House, Oaklawn Road,
Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 0BX
Tel : 01372 841620 Fax : 01372 841693
Email :
Thank you.

Any idea on costs?

I see many an invite from RUSI where heads of the Mil offer to tell us what is current normally for around £300. Sadly I have to decline the kind offer as believe they should be passing info down the chain for free.

This however is a good topical subject that we could all do with more info on.


Book Reviewer
BigRed said:
Any idea on costs?
The flyer on the Combat Stress website indicates £22 per head.

Charlotte at Combat Stress tells me they have only 60 tickets left for this event....chop, chop !

You can print off the flyer and complete Visa/Mastercard details then fax direct to Charlotte .

Hope this helps,

BigRed said:
Any idea on costs?

I see many an invite from RUSI where heads of the Mil offer to tell us what is current normally for around £300. Sadly I have to decline the kind offer as believe they should be passing info down the chain for free.
Thats for one of their conferneces. If you are aserving or ex soldier annual membership is much much less.

Lots of the good lectures are cheap or free.
I well remember seeing old, grainy, black and white film of WW1 shell shock victims. The images are still with me today of men collapsing in fear at their hoods being taken off, of men in spastic spasms, unable to control their limbs etc.
As a child in the 50's, I also remember a man from WW1 in my village who used to shuffle around the lanes dressed in an old army greatcoat. He lived with a sister and used to climb over the hedge if he saw someone coming towards him, as you passed you'd hear him whimpering behind it.
My father tackled the village doctor about helping him but the doctor said 'they'll just put him in a mental home, he's better off where he is'..........
Combat Stress, as its called today, is a living hell on earth. Good on you 'Goats' for highlighting it.


Book Reviewer
hansvonhealing said:
Good on you 'Goats' for highlighting it.
Done a few collections with them since I came back from Telic.....mostly in the spirit of 'There, but for the Grace of God go I' of the most worthwhile charities that Service folk can ...uh...'invest' in.

They've been going since 1919......formerly the Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society.

Seemed worth at least bringing to people's attention who may be able to attend.... the Mod's courtesy in allowing the note to appear here is very much appreciated.

Le Chevre
No problems from this c/s Goatman , a very worthy topic indeed.

What is the cut off date for tickets to this?

Could we get permission to reporduce the transcript here for debate later , do you think?


Book Reviewer

I've pinged a link for this thread to FunkyGibbon - hopefully she can answer those two questions ?

(note the rising intonation? Which makes everything a question? Am I from Bristol? )

Nah, further West , Ashley :-D

Don Cabra
What is the cut off date for tickets to this?

Could we get permission to reporduce the transcript here for debate later , do you think?
Thanks Goatman. Current count is 44 available tickets and the cut-off date is 2nd November 06 unless we sell out prior to this. Contact my colleague Charlotte on or telephone 01372 841621 for enquiries or tickets.

re. the transcript... unfortunately Professor Wessley won't be using lecture notes so no official transcript available for posting.


Book Reviewer
< Kenny>

Thanks for that are now down to 43 tickets....going like range stew in Brecon on a February day :-D ....get them while they're hot people!

Don Cabra
Slightly off thread G-man but just wanted to point out some recent research on PTSD concerning Iraq and Afg Vets. It appears that symptoms are not showing until several months after returning from combat.

Link to American Psychiatry Journal

PTSD Can Take Months to Strike Wounded Iraq and Afghanistan Vets
10.06.06, 12:00 AM ET

FRIDAY, Oct. 6 (HealthDay News) -- Soldiers wounded during combat in Iraq and Afghanistan often develop post-traumatic stress disorder and depression months after getting out of a hospital, instead of soon after suffering their injuries, a new study found.

And the severity of the injuries also helps predict the risk of developing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression.

It's not clear why it's taking more than half a year, in some cases, for symptoms of PTSD and depression to emerge. However, the study authors speculated that the concentrated treatments and therapies offered in a hospital may temporarily ward off psychological problems, leaving them to surface once a soldier has been released and comes to realize the extent of the injuries.

The report was published in the October issue of The American Journal of Psychiatry.

"The rates of PTSD and depression are much lower immediately following the injury than what we were expecting," said lead researcher Dr. Thomas A. Grieger, of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and Walter Reed Army Medical Center, in Washington, D.C. "We were expecting rates of around 20 percent."

Instead, Grieger and his colleagues found the initial rate of PTSD and depression was 4 percent. The researchers expected the rates of PTSD and depression to be controlled early, as is often the case with victims of automobile accidents. "In contrast, in this [military] population, the rates went up instead of down with time," he said.

For the study, the researchers screened 613 soldiers, who were severely wounded between March 2003 and September 2004. Of those, 243 completed health assessments at one, four, and seven months after their injuries. The rates of PTSD were 4 percent at one month, 12 percent at four months, and 12 percent at seven months. Rates of depression were 4.4 percent at one month, 9 percent at four months, and 9 percent at seven months.

Grieger noted that 78 percent of those soldiers with PTSD or depression at seven months showed no signs of either condition at one month. "There is a need for ongoing evaluation of the individuals that have had these sorts of exposures," he said.

The reasons for these findings aren't clear, Grieger said. He noted, however, that soldiers in a hospital are getting psychiatric care and medication, which may not be continued after the soldiers leave. "It may be that these symptoms come on after they leave the hospital because they are not continuing with their medications," he said. "It may also be that individuals don't report symptoms in the immediate aftermath of the injury."

Grieger further speculated that it's only when the soldiers return home and realize the full impact of their injuries on their lives that PTSD and depression strike.

One expert thinks this study could be helpful in designing programs to prevent and treat PTSD and depression in military personnel.

"Being wounded is a risk factor for PSTD," said Dr. Matthew J. Friedman, executive director of the Department of Veterans Affairs National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Friedman believes it's important to understand why some soldiers recover from PTSD and depression when they struggle with it early, and why others develop these problems later. "This would enable us to do a better job of developing preventive approaches and trying to improve the situation for people following hospital discharge," he said.

Another researcher noted the rates of PTSD and depression seen among wounded soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are about the same as those seen among non-wounded soldiers.

"One of the important findings is that wounded soldiers did not have higher rates of PTSD than healthy soldiers surveyed using the same instruments and criteria," said Dr. Charles Hoge, who's with the department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. "This suggests that the preventive psychiatry services that wounded service members receive at Walter Reed has been effective in mitigating PTSD symptoms."

"The increase from 4 to 12 percent from one to four months is exactly what we've been seeing among non-wounded soldiers," Hoge added, who co-authored the new study. "We know that soldiers may not report mental-health symptoms until several months after they return home, and this study shows that this is true also among the wounded."

More information


Book Reviewer
Some people may remember one of the images from the Battle for Fallujah in Iraq

L/Cpl James 'Blake' Miller,1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment of the 2nd Marine Division,

This is his story:( article reproduced by kind permission of the Author)
- Matthew B. Stannard, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, January 29, 2006
Pike County, Ky. -- BATTLE SCARS: The photo of the ‘Marlboro Man’ in Fallujah became a symbol of the Iraq conflict when it ran in newspapers across America in 2004. Now the soldier has returned home to Kentucky,where he battles the demons of post-traumatic stress

The photograph hit the world on Nov. 10, 2004: a close-cropped shot of a U.S. Marine in Iraq, his face smeared with blood and dirt, a cigarette dangling from his lips, smoke curling across weary eyes.
It was an instant icon, with Dan Rather calling it "the best war photograph in recent years." About 100 newspapers ran the photo, dubbing the anonymous warrior the "Marlboro Man."

The man in the photograph is James Blake Miller, now 21, and he is an icon, although in ways Rather probably never imagined.

He's quieter now -- easier to anger. He turns to fight at the sound of a backfire, can't look at fireworks without thinking of fire raining down on a city. He has trouble sleeping, and when he does, his fingers twitch on invisible triggers.

The diagnosis: post-traumatic stress disorder.

His life in Kentucky, before and after the clicking shutter, says as much about hundreds of thousands of new American war veterans as his famous photograph said about that one bad day in Fallujah -- a photo Miller cannot see as an icon.

"I don't see a whole lot," he said. "I see a day I won't care to remember, but that I'll never forget."

James Blake Miller was born in Pike County in the hills of eastern Kentucky, where Daniel Boone is said to have walked and where moonshine is still consumed. An average family here makes about $24,000; the only decent-paying jobs are down at the coal mine.
Miller got his first name from his father, who got it from his and back into family history. But folks called him Blake, the middle name his parents heard on the television show "Dynasty."

His paternal grandfather was a Marine in '53; a heavy smoker, like most of the men in the family, he died of cancer before he was 40. The man Miller grew up calling "Papaw" was his grandmother's second husband, an Army vet of Vietnam.

Sometimes, Papaw would get crying drunk and start telling the story about the boy who came into the camp in Vietnam one night, and how they had to shoot him. Then he would stop speaking, and look at the little boys hanging on his every word. "You've had enough, Joe Lee," his wife would say then. "It's time to go to bed."

"It wasn't that he liked to drink -- that was how he dealt with it," Miller said.

Miller grew up in Jonancy, a tiny hamlet 20 miles from the county seat of Pikeville. He got his first job -- washing cars at the local auto dealership -- at age 13, about a year after he took up smoking.

Before long, he began working in a body shop, where the owner told him the most extraordinary thing: Miller could get his auto body repair certification for free -- just by joining the military. A Marine recruiter offered more: insurance, housing, college money.

"I thought, 'Well, damn, that's amazing,' " Miller said. "Hell, here I am, 18 years old -- I can have all this in the palm of my hands just by giving them four years."

Following his grandfather's footsteps, he went infantry, and left for boot camp in November 2002. Four months later, the war in Iraq broke out.

"Before I knew it," Miller said, "I was thrown into the mix without even thinking about it."

Miller was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment of the 2nd Marine Division, based in Camp Lejeune, N.C.

"Right before we got ready to leave for Iraq, I guess I was a little nervous. I started smoking more -- I went from about a pack-and-a-half a day to 2 1/2 packs a day," he said. "When we got to Iraq ... I was smoking 5 1/2 packs."

For a while, Iraq didn't seem all that bad. Miller and his fellow Marines settled into a routine in Anbar province in western Iraq, setting up hiding places among the palms and sand, and watching for the white pickups that insurgents would use to plant bombs and fire mortars.
There also was time for candy and laughter with the Iraqi children who came running to see the American troops. Miller felt like he was helping.

Then, on Nov. 5, 2004, in the middle of a sandstorm, the Marines got the word that they might be heading for an assault on Fallujah -- at the time, the capital of the Iraqi insurgency.

No American forces had gone inside the city in months. And now Miller would be among the first. He had been a Marine for less than two years.

"It puts butterflies in my stomach right now," he said. "I don't know if you can describe it. I don't think words can."

The days before the assault were an intense blur of training, preparation and fear. But there was one bright spot, when Miller ran into a good friend in the chow hall -- Demarkus Brown, a 22-year-old from Virginia.

Miller met Brown in infantry school, when the smiling African American introduced himself to the white Kentucky native with a grinning, "What's up, cracker?"

Miller quickly realized Brown didn't mean the word seriously -- didn't mean much of anything seriously. Brown liked to party all hours and go dancing, then call Miller to come pick him up.

"It didn't matter what you told him or how s -- ty it was," Miller said. "He was always the one guy who had a smile on his face."

But one thing Brown took seriously was music: He loved raves and techno music, and Miller played bluegrass on bass and guitar. Their styles somehow harmonized, and they became close friends.

Now they were together outside Fallujah.

The night before U.S. forces went into the city, Miller gathered with his fellow Marines and led them by memory through a passage from the Bible, John 14:2-3.

"In my Father's house, there are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I leave this place and go there to prepare a place for you, so that where I may be, you may be also."

The assault on Fallujah began Nov. 8, 2004, when U.S. planes, using a combination of high explosives and burning white phosphorus, hammered the city in advance of the artillery push. Miller was under fire from the moment he stepped out of the personnel carrier.

It lasted into Nov. 9 -- the day that, for a while, would make Miller's face the most famous in Iraq.

As Miller remembers that day, he was on a rooftop taking fire and calling for support on his radio - a 20-pound piece of equipment that he had to lug around along with nine extra batteries, hundreds of extra rounds of ammunition, and a couple of cartons of cigarettes.
As insurgent bullets from a nearby building pinged off the roof, a horrified Miller heard footsteps coming up the stairs behind him. He raised his rifle -- and barely had time to halt when he saw it was embedded Los Angeles Times photographer Luis Sinco.

Miller returned to his radio, guiding two tanks to his position. When they opened fire, he said, the thunder left his body numb -- but the building housing the attackers had collapsed. Later, he said, they would find about 40 bodies in the rubble.

"I was never so happy in all my life to take that handset away from my head," Miller said. "I lit up a f -- cigarette."

His ear was bleeding from the sound of the tank firing -- Miller still can't hear out of his right ear. His nose bled from a nick he took when his rifle scope and radio got tangled up midfire. He looked at the sunrise and wondered how many more of those he would see.

He was vaguely aware that elsewhere on the rooftop, Sinco was taking pictures.

At a briefing the next day, Miller's gunnery sergeant walked up to him, grinning, and said: "Would you believe you're the most famous f -- Marine in the Marine Corps right now? Believe it or not, your ugly mug just went all over the U.S."

The Marines wanted to pull him out of Fallujah at that point, Miller said, not wanting the very public poster boy to die in combat. But he stayed.

He won't talk about the weeks that followed. He only mentions moments, like still frames from a film. The day his column barely survived an ambush, escaping through a broken door as bullets struck near their feet. The morning he woke up to discover that a cat had taken up residence in the open chest cavity of an Iraqi body nearby, consuming it from within.

The day he discovered that Demarkus Brown had been killed.

"When we found out, I told a couple of my buddies who were close to him, too. We just sat around, and we didn't say much at all," Miller said. "You didn't have the heart to cry."

But it wasn't those terrible benchmarks that affected him the most, Miller said. It was the daily chore of war: the times he had to raise his rifle, peer through the scope and squeeze the trigger to launch a bullet, not at a target, not at a distant white truck, but at another human being.

"It's one thing to be shot at, and you shoot a couple rounds back, just trying to suppress somebody else," Miller said. "It's another thing when you see a human being shooting a round at you, knowing that you're shooting back with the intent to kill them. You're looking through a scope at somebody. It's totally different. You can make out a guy's eyes."
When Miller returned to America, he brought back a big duffel bag packed with numerous letters and gifts from those who had seen his photo. It was only later that he discovered he'd brought home some of the war, too.
None of the Marines talked much about the strain that war puts on one's emotions, Miller said. The "wizards" -- military psychologists -- gave the returning troops a briefing on the subject, but nobody paid much attention. Even guys who were taking antidepressants to help them sleep didn't think much about the long-term consequences.

"What the hell are those people going to do once they get out? They ride it out until they get an honorable discharge, and then they're never diagnosed with anything," Miller said. "How the hell are you going to do anything for them after that? And that's how so many of these guys are ending up on the damn streets."

Miller dismissed the early signs, too. When he and his buddies reacted to a truck backfire by dropping into a combat stance and raising imaginary rifles, well, that was to be expected. And when his wife, Jessica -- the childhood sweetheart whom Miller had married in June -- told him he was tightening his arm around her neck in the night, that was strange, but he figured it would pass. So would the nightmares he began to have about Iraq, things that had happened, things that hadn't. Then one day, while visiting his wife at her college dorm in Pikeville, Miller looked out the window and clearly saw the body of an Iraqi sprawled out on the sidewalk. He turned away.

"I said, 'Look, honey, I just got to get out of here.' I couldn't even tell her at the time what had happened," he said. "(I thought), 'Well, that's it. That's my little spaz I'm supposed to have that the psychiatrists were talking about ... I'm glad I got it out of the way."
But he hadn't. Jessica, a psychology student, tried to help with a visualization technique. But when he looked inside himself, Miller found a kind of demonic door guarded by a twisted figure in a black cloak. Under the cloak's hood, he spotted the snarling face of the teufelhund, a Marine Corps icon -- the devil dog.

"So I come out again, without closing the door," he said. "After all this happened, my nightmares started getting a lot f -- ing worse."

Finally, Miller went to a military psychiatrist, who diagnosed him with signs of post-traumatic stress disorder. Miller thought that meant he could not be deployed. But in early September, he joined a group of Marines headed to police New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"I really didn't want to go. ... There was a possibility we would be shooting people," he said. "We could be going into another (urban warfare) environment just like Iraq, except this would actually be U.S. citizens.

"Here we go, Fallujah 2, right here in the states."

Not long after they arrived, as Hurricane Rita bore down on them, the Marines were packed into the amphibious assault ship Iwo Jima to wait out the storm offshore. And one day, as Miller headed for the smoke deck with a Marlboro, a passing sailor made a whistling sound just like a rocket-propelled grenade.

"I don't remember grabbing him. I don't remember putting him against the bulkhead. I don't remember getting him down on the floor. I don't remember getting on top of him. I don't remember doing any of that s -- ," Miller said. "That was like the last straw."

On Nov. 10, 2005 -- the Marine Corps' 230th birthday and one year to the day after the Marlboro Man picture appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Miller was honorably discharged after a medical review. His military career was over.
Miller returned to eastern Kentucky, the place he had spent years trying to escape. He wanted the familiarity and safety of the people and land he'd known since birth.
"Maybe it made me think twice about what I had lost," he said. "What I was really missing."

In a way, though, his family is still missing Blake Miller -- the Miller who left Kentucky for Iraq a couple of years ago.

The man who left was easygoing, quick to laugh, happy to sit in a relative's house and eat and smoke and talk. The man who came back is quick to anger, they say, and is quiet. He still smiles often but does not easily laugh.

And when he takes a seat in his adoptive grandmother's home, amid her collection of ceramic Christ figurines, it is in a chair that faces the door.

Mildred Childers, who owns those figurines, sees Miller's difficulties as a crisis of faith. She still remembers Miller's call just before the assault on Fallujah, and his terrible question: "How can people go to church and be a Christian and kill people in Iraq?"

"He was raised where that's one of the Ten Commandments, do not kill," she said. "I think it's hard for a soldier to go to war and have that embedded in them from small children up, and you go over there and you've got to do it to stay alive."

Recently, some of his Marine buddies have been calling Miller up, crying drunk, and remembering their war experiences. Just like Papaw Joe Lee used to do when Miller was a boy.

"There's a lot of Vietnam vets ... they don't heal until 30, 40 years down the road," Miller said. "People bottle it up, become angry, easily temperamental, and hell, before you know it, these are the people who are snapping on you."
Jessica interrupted. "You're already like that," she said.

She recalled her own first glimpse of the Marlboro Man -- an image seen through tears of relief that he was alive, and misery at how worn he looked.

"Some people thought it was sexy, and we thought, 'Oh, my God, he's in the middle of a war, close to death.' We just couldn't understand how some people could look at it like that," she said. "But I guess for some people it was glory, like patriotism."

She looked at her quiet husband through the smoke drifting from his right hand.

"But when it comes out and there's actually a personality behind that picture, and that personality, he has to deal with all the war, and all he's done, people don't want to know how hard it actually is," she said.

"This is the dark side of the reality of war. ... People don't want to know the Marlboro Man has PTSD."

Miller stood outside his father's home in Jonancy, looking over the beaten mobile homes, the rows of corn, potatoes and cabbage. For a change, he wasn't smoking - he's down to a pack-and-a-half a day.
"There ain't a goddamn thing around here," he said. "My whole life, all I did was watch my old man bust his ass."

It was why he joined the Marines -- why part of him wishes he could go back.

"My whole life, all I've ever known is working on cars, doing body work, cutting grass, manual labor, you know? It was something different," he said. "You always hear those commercials -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure. It was, you know?"

On the other hand, Miller isn't sure he'd want to go back to combat -- nor sure he'd ever let any kid of his enlist. He has mixed feelings about the oversize copy of the Marlboro Man picture proudly displayed in the lobby of the Marine recruiting station in Pikeville.

Some of his relatives and friends are against the war; others see it as a fight against terrorism.

Miller himself seems torn -- proud of the troops fighting for freedom, but wondering whether there was a peaceful way, to find terrorists in Iraq without invading. There was no time for such questions in Fallujah. But now, at night, when he can't sleep, Miller thinks of the men he saw through his rifle scope, and wonders: Were they terrorists fighting against America? Or men fighting to protect their homes?

"I mean, how would we feel if they came over and started something here?" he asked. "I'm glad that I fought for my country. But looking back on it, I wouldn't do it all over again."

It helps, sometimes, to talk about it -- last week, Miller did what he hopes other veterans do: He had his first visit with a Veterans Administration counselor.

"I've got my whole life ahead of me," he said. "I'm too young to lay down and quit; too young to let anything beat me."
Down the road, Miller hopes to start a business. For now, he is waiting for his disability benefits to kick in. Maybe then, he and Jessica can afford the big wedding they had always wanted. She already has her white wedding dress. He still intends to wear his Marine Corps blues.

Veterans and stress
Post-traumatic stress disorder is an ailment resulting from exposure to an experience involving direct or indirect threat of serious injury or death. Symptoms include recurrent thoughts of a traumatic event, reduced involvement in work or outside interests, hyper alertness, anxiety and irritability.

About 317,000 veterans diagnosed with the disorder were treated at Department of Veterans Affairs medical centers and clinics in fiscal year 2005. Nearly 19,000 veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were seen for the disorder in veterans' medical centers and Vet Centers from fiscal year 2002 to 2005. A recent study of soldiers and Marines who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan found that about 17 percent met criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, or generalized anxiety disorder. Of those whose responses were positive for a mental disorder, 40 percent or fewer actually received help while on active duty.

For more information, contact your local veterans facility, call (877) 222-VETS or visit one of the following Web sites:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder:
San Francisco Chronicle Guide for Returning Veterans:

Sources: Department of Veterans Affairs, New England Journal of Medicine

E-mail Matthew B. Stannard at mstannard @

Page A - 1


Good article......L/Cpl Miller didget to wear his Marine Corps dress blues at his wedding....sadly, he filed for divorce earlier this year.....

For L/Cpl Blake Miller, USMC.....detail, off......CAPS (stand still)

Lee Shaver

Similar threads