Battlefields Trust and the Battle of Bosworth

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Pteranadon, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday we moved a battlefield about two miles.

The Battlefields Trust and Leicestershire County Council announced yesterday that they had found incontrovertible evidence that the battlefield of Bosworth took place about 2 miles from where previously accepted. The evidence included 22 shot from guns ranging in size from a handgun to the size of shot fired by light cannons up to the mid C19th. (This is more than all the others collected from any pre 1600 European battlefields.) There is more work to be done and a conference in County Hall Leicester on 20 Feb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzgHPOWb5Gk

This is a quite big news for several reasons:-

1. Its shows where the battlefield was and wasn't! Our understanding of history changes with the evidence. This should be good news for the council and for visitors to Bosworth.

2. The tools developed for finding this battle could help to find other battlefields in the UK and Europe from this era. (Barnet - Northampton - Formigny- Pavia etc)

3. The lead artillery rounds provide new information about the development of artillery.

More information here:-
    http://www.bosworthbattlefield.com/battle/archaeology/battlefield/battlefield_bft.htm

I'll declare an interest as a trustee and officer of the Battlefields Trust

The story has been run in several papers. Some of these have tried to spin this as a problem, which its not. LCC have built one of the few interpretation centres for any English battlefield. Its good and can stay where it is as a gateway to the battlefield. All it needs are new interpretation boards, paths, parking and a viewing platform.

This should all be good news but we need to get

1. better protection for battlefields from treasure hunters. The government promised the Heritage protection Bill - but dropped it from this year' Queen's speech.

2. More money. Public funds are drying up. We need to raise £3m for a visitor centre for Naseby. We have lost 500k of the million we had as the Regional funding has gone to prop up banks.

3. A change in attitude to our battlefield heritage. There are ten times as many battlefield interpretation centres in Normandy as in the whole of England. Battlefield heritage is seen as a frivolity along with sport and culture. We should be looking to use our battlefields as the basis for heritage tourism. Investment in battlefield interpretation brings jobs in places that need them.

If anyone reading ARRSE wants to get involved with interpretign and preserving battlefields do join the Trust.

2. I saw this on the World Service TV news yesterday.
    I understand that to know the exact spot is important but after 600 & odd years 2 miles out is not too bad.
    john

3. I have always been interested in this but in Wales there are only about three battle fields shown on the OSGB maps, This is bcause the English tried to sweep Welsh history under the carpet, only post Civil War Battle fields are shown .This is a sad state when you think it took four hundred years of warfare to finally subjugate the Welsh, and that the English had to build almost 500 castles to do it, but still only a hand full of battlefields shown on the maps including of course the last invasion of the UK in 1797

4. It was fine wasn't it? :wink:

5. Effin Arthritic right hand does not do what its told

6. I wonder if Col Alfie Burne got it right? I'm more of a 'Anglo Saxon' man myself and would like a few digs in and around the sites of Ethandun, Assingdon and (especially) Brunanburh to determine the exact locations. Good work by the archaeologists though! Well done.

7. Is the visitor centre still going to be OK? Excellent as it was, I remember from my last visit that the "battlefield" was a bit of a walk from there. If it's now even further away will that not be quite a trog especially for kids - the types who should be learning all about this?

8. Gives a better understanding of the logistics and distances involved, not to mention time-scales for armies pre-motorisation. Give the option of walking it in chain mail carrying a pike as well! :twisted:

(That's the excuse I'd give, anyway)

9. What did they show? They didn't show Pteranadon in person did they? Fat, bald ex Gunner major?

10. I think the country park and walk at the Interpretation centre will be OK. Evenm now its quite a treck and they do lots more than just the military history. I think there may need to be a seperate care park and viewing area. Some people will want to drive to a spot overl;ooking the battlefield.

The results do mean that there is a new focus for visits. The survey has also established that Crown Hill in Stoke Golding shanged its name to Crown hill from somehting else in 1485. Henry Tudor was crowned King on Crown Hill..

11. The Welsh Assembly are a step ahead of Westminster. The Welsh now have much better protection for battlefields. There is even a Welsh Battlefield Society. http://www.welshbattlefields.org.uk/eng/ Jiolly good chaps and kindred spirits who look after battlefields in Wales.

12. No - Alfred Burne did not get thios one right.

He is a bit of a hero though for cataloguing the battlefields. If you join the Trust in person we sometimes give his book away with membershiop - as long as we don't need pay to post it.

13. "Fat, bald ex Gunner major? "
    Slander Sir ?
    john
    Keep up the good work, pleasantly plump of the receding hair line.

14. And CADW in Wales are now pretty good with later military sites,having just published a booklet titled "Caring for Military Sites of the Twentieth Century" aimed at landowners and the like who have military sites on their land. Treasure hunters are just as much of a threat to later sites as they are to those of the Civil War era. Let's hope the Heritage Protection Bill gets another chance.