Battlefield Tours

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Cpt_Darling, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

Im planning on taking my old man around the Ypres salient to show him what his uncle got up to during the war.

Having been on staff rides there in the past, i have an idea of the hotels I want to stay in and what to do in Ypres itself, but any good suggestions are more than welcome.Im looking at doing the tour ourselves as opposed to through a company as I want to focus on his uncles unit.

So really what I am after is any good background info books on tours in the Ypres area, and any good sources that can get thier hands on Bn War Diaries at Kew and get copies sent to me.

Any help would be great.

2. The Rum Jar is a good alternative to the Hotels, PM Flying Monkey for more local knowledge.
  3. I have used the following premises and was very impressed. The owners are registered battlefield guides and are available to their guests for any of the Ypres Salient and Northern France areas. They will do the driving so you can enjoy the local brews during meal times.

Camalou Bed and Breakfast accommodation at Ypres in Flanders.

4. Been there.
    Loved the place.
    Very nice people.
    Great brekky.
    Books galore to read up on.
    Brew up in the corridor.
    Great tours.
    Loads of knowledge.
    Dinner in "Tommy´s `, just down the raod from the B & B.
    Great value for money.

GO THERE!!!
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

He lives in the town.
    For really good steak this place is just out of town:
    Restaurant Den Artiest Geluwe
  6. Which Bn ? we followed the Royal West Kents diary when we took my inlaws there to follow the mother inlaws fathers footsyeps , very moving to find some of the ditches and banks they followed still very much in evidence... the diarys brought it to life for us.
  7. Cheers for the recommendations so far, I shall be looking to visit the small bar on the corner in front of the gate again at any rate.

It was 8/10 Gordons. I can't find it online do I suspect that I'll have to find a researcher to dig out the diary for me.
  8. The main actions that the 8/10 Gordon Highlanders took part in the Ypres area is the battles of Pilckem Roidge and Langemarck in the first months o f the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

Is this the period when yoiur great uncle served in the unit? It also does great deeds at Loos in 1915, the battle of Flers Courcelette opn the Somme and the battle of the scapre in Arras in early 1917.

Ihave extracted the bits from Chris McCathy's passchendaele day by day. This has both actions ion whiuch 8/10 gte a m,ention..

Attached Files:

9. He was with the Bn from early 1915 until they were disbanded in 1918 at which point he went to one of the other Bns to see out the war, though not sure which.
  10. Wow! Whoich battalion did he start in? If its the 10th he might have been at Loos. and on the Somme. I know you are planning to use Ieper as a
    base, but, have you already been or planned to make a seperate trip to Loos? The 10th Gordons were at the apex of the salient driven into the German lione

Loos is harder to interpret as a battlefield as the objecive that the jocks overan is now largely covered with an airport. However,at the very least you shpu;ld visit the memoprial to the missing. 10th Gordons were the reserveof 44 Brigade, the first to reach the smmit of Hill 70. 10 Gordons prepared the posiiton for defence. They lost 7 offciers and 374 men as casualties.

The main focus of visitors to the Somme tends to be the first day of the Somme and there is less to see of the later battles. 15th September is larely remembered as a debuit of the tank than a major battle. However, the Theipval interpretation centre tells the story of the whole battle.