Battlefield tours with young and disinterested family advice sought

I want to do the battlefield tours thing. A fair few of my ancestors are buried out there also. (Tancrez farm is one I know of). I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old, and a wife who would not really find it interesting.

Any ideas on a family holiday that could accomodate this - Me shooting off to do a tour whilst wife and kids engaged elsewhere..all in one package?

Travelling from Plymouth. Advice welcomed,

Cheers.

I've just rammed the not-working-very-well search function up Jarrod's arrse so that should keep him occupied for a while.

Keep 'em in Plymouth :). Unless you can get her to invite another family I reckon you're going to have dramas because at some point she'll just feel like the babysitter mate.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I want to do the battlefield tours thing. A fair few of my ancestors are buried out there also. (Tancrez farm is one I know of). I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old, and a wife who would not really find it interesting.

Any ideas on a family holiday that could accomodate this - Me shooting off to do a tour whilst wife and kids engaged elsewhere..all in one package?

Cheers.

I've just rammed the not-working-very-well search function up Jarrod's arrse so that should keep him occupied for a while.
You come with me, leave her some cash and nappies.

Hmmm.. visit with Jarrod a good option. Back doors well shored up though mind!

Poppy

LE
Haven't you got some mates you can go with? Then your wife can do a holiday with some mates and leave the kids with you another time

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

How about this:-
You get up super early, taking the little nipper with you to do a few hours battle field tour. Madam gets a lie-in and only one nipper to deal with so you're already in the good books. You get back at say 11, have a brunch together then drive to a town for a more female friendly tourist visit (little nipper hooped from a morning with dad so no screaming). Back to hotel for your man nap whilst she deals with the kids for an hour. Nice evening meal together, kids to bed early then smash her kidneys through her arse.

Repeat.

Euro camp has a couple of good sites in Normandy - We holidayed at one a few years ago and they're good for kids - swimming pools and so on. I left my wife with the kids in the early morning, visited Omaha beach, Pegasus Bridge and Sword Beach on three separate mornings, back in time for lunch each day. Get the ferry to Cherbourg and you can stop at St Mere Eglise for lunch on the way down.

As soon as they get onto the beach, shout ACHTUNG ENGLANDER and open fire with a GPMG. You'll have their undivided attention.

Different but related query.
Am about to take a coach trip to Arnhem. Did similar one to Normandy for 70th - had gone into RBL HQ in Southwark in adavance and left my details as willing to be carer for any veteran or recently injured serviceman wanting to go but needing a pair of hands.
Nobody got back to me.
Probably a bit late this time, but willing to make same offer re future trips.
Any idea how I can reach possible folk wanting help?
Was annoying to read about the old Naval man who did a runner from his nursing home in June, when he was just the sort of person I had in mind.
Thanks

Mattb

LE
As soon as they get onto the beach, shout ACHTUNG ENGLANDER and open fire with a GPMG. You'll have their undivided attention.
I think that you've missed the point of a HISTORICAL visit.

It's got to be an MG42 or nothing.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think that you've missed the point of a HISTORICAL visit.

It's got to be an MG42 or nothing.
He never said anything about historical accuracy!

Euro camp has a couple of good sites in Normandy - We holidayed at one a few years ago and they're good for kids - swimming pools and so on. I left my wife with the kids in the early morning, visited Omaha beach, Pegasus Bridge and Sword Beach on three separate mornings, back in time for lunch each day. Get the ferry to Cherbourg and you can stop at St Mere Eglise for lunch on the way down.

I second the Eurocamp option - the sites are usually very child friendly (pools, playgrounds etc) and the reps will have brochures and leaflets for places that the family can visit.

I've stayed at four Eurcamp sites over the past few years and the bar/restaurant food has always always been good as well.

Rodney2q

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I stopped with eurocamp a handful of times about 20 years ago. Daughter early teens and interested in nothing so it didn't matter either way. Son about 10. Gave them one day at Eurodisney, her a look at the Bayeux tapestry, a few days in places like Arromanches (they were astonished that we built a harbour effectively overnight) and some time on the beaches. Nobody sulked unduly.

D

Deleted 76563

Only slightly related but has anyone been to any of the Russian battlefield tours? I see them advertised on t'interweb but am loathe to book without at least asking if anyone has any experiences good or bad.
Cheers

ACAB

LE
Only slightly related but has anyone been to any of the Russian battlefield tours? I see them advertised on t'interweb but am loathe to book without at least asking if anyone has any experiences good or bad.
Cheers
They all appear (I have no direct experience) to be heavily sanitised. On a more modern level try Cavtat in Croatia. Splash marks, Shrapnel in the Hotel foyer and 'W Trenches' made out of white stone (the same stone used to build the White House) surreal!!! I even pinched a tin mug out of one before realising (fortunately not too late) that I was probably in a minefield.

ACAB when were you in CAVTAT? It is now heavily touristy. However if anyone does want to do this then hire a car (if you fly in to Dubrovnik) but stay overnight in Terbinje in Bosnia and commute including to Dubrovnik. The price of a double room in Bos is a max of 50 euros a night including breakfast and the place I use is called Porto Bello. Its cracking.

Cheers.

I should still bear a massive grudge over the Lucy L wah but I am a very forgiving person (especially towards destitute souls who spend their time hanging around seaside public toilets).

I wouldn't have thought the kids cared either way given their ages. Doris would probably be happy being dumped in the nearest town with liberal amounts of pocket money.

My missus and teenage kids were quite impressed with the cemeteries, Boxhead fortifications etc. Massive bribery helped.

If the Jarrod function works there is a tour being arranged by one of the mods. You could tag onto that, leave SWMBO at home and fit in your personal preferences at the end. She couldn't possibly object to you spending a few days with a bunch of ex-BAOR alcoholics reminiscing about THAT rifle. What could possibly go wrong?

ACAB

LE
ACAB when were you in CAVTAT? It is now heavily touristy. However if anyone does want to do this then hire a car (if you fly in to Dubrovnik) but stay overnight in Terbinje in Bosnia and commute including to Dubrovnik. The price of a double room in Bos is a max of 50 euros a night including breakfast and the place I use is called Porto Bello. Its cracking.
That was in 2003. It was ******* brill!

Latest Threads