Battlefield Tours - German Dispositions & Maps

I'm off to Mametz wood in a month or so. I've a reasonable handle on the 7th, 17th and 38th Divs actions 1 - 12 July 2016. But would like to get a better understating of where, who and what the Germans were in those actions.

I'd also like to be able to draw maps of the action similar to this:

Which is a superb map of Gettysburg and the dispositions - but I can't find a decent software that can do this - anyone any stears?

Attachments

• battle-of-gettysburg-oak-ridge-july-1.jpg
    battle-of-gettysburg-oak-ridge-july-1.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 89
Try Major and Mrs Holt's battlefield guide to the Somme.

It may not contain exactly what you want, it may be a start, at the very least it's a decent guide to add to your collection.

simroy

Old-Salt
So we are going to war in 2016. I better break out the good old SLR then?

Try Major and Mrs Holt's battlefield guide to the Somme.

It may not contain exactly what you want, it may be a start, at the very least it's a decent guide to add to your collection.

Thanks Dingerr - I've got it and used it already. It's OK but doesn't really get into the weeds about the battles. I've also spent a day in the IWM, bought the books and joined the WFA - but I still can't quite get all the info.

If there's not much on what you seek, how about writing/producing it yourself. Now would be a good time.

Dwarf

LE
Odd you should say

Odd you should say that....

You could even seek sponsorship from IWM or offer to take some veterans/wounded H4H might back it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just dug out a repro French trench map from Verdun as my daughter's school has gone world war one barmy, which is a good thing.

Personally, in terms of communicating the immediate situation, I've yet to see a military map beat the quality of this one:

hqdefault.jpg

Latest Threads